Author Topic: To tag or not to tag...  (Read 1247 times)

Offline Madmacabre

• Participant
    • View Profile
To tag or not to tag...
« on: April 24, 2010, 06:24:22 PM »
When can you tag an aspect?

Does it need to be your turn? Do you have to do it before or after an action?

For example, you do a maneuver to put the "prone" aspect on an NPC. At his action he tries to run away, can you use your free tag to invoke an effect or consequence to prevent him from fleeing?

Another example, you put the "on fire" aspect in an area iwth some explosive material. Can you use your free tag (for effect) right after to declare that the "barrels of chemicals" explode? Essentially turing your maneuver into an attack?

And as a game master, how do you play the aspect put on your npc? Do you give them Fate points everytime you act in a way consistent with the aspect...such as if it would have been compelled?

The rules are clear on paper but like everything else, when you start playing with them that's when the issues become alive.

Thanks for the help

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: To tag or not to tag...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 06:31:38 PM »
When can you tag an aspect?

Does it need to be your turn? Do you have to do it before or after an action?

You do tags (and invokes) as part of an action. There's no before or after; it's integral to and internal to.  I suspect you're asking if you have to do it before you *roll*. I normally allow it both before and after the roll (and our rules may support that position, I forget).

It doesn't need to be on your turn, because defenses aren't, and you're allowed to use aspects when rolling to defend. :)

For example, you do a maneuver to put the "prone" aspect on an NPC. At his action he tries to run away, can you use your free tag to invoke an effect or consequence to prevent him from fleeing?

I'd allow that. Then again, as the GM, I wouldn't even allow him to try to run away; I'd have him spend his action on removing the aspect.

Another example, you put the "on fire" aspect in an area with some explosive material. Can you use your free tag (for effect) right after to declare that the "barrels of chemicals" explode? Essentially turning your maneuver into an attack?

I like this idea. Does your GM?

And as a game master, how do you play the aspect put on your npc? Do you give them Fate points everytime you act in a way consistent with the aspect...such as if it would have been compelled?

Might give 'em one, but I wouldn't do it every time. Payouts should occur only when the aspects have a significant impact on the character's actions.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/