Author Topic: Stats for a taser?  (Read 5505 times)

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
Stats for a taser?
« on: April 22, 2010, 07:27:43 PM »
I'm curious what a taser would be stated as?

I suppose since it doesn't do damage it'd be gun that does a maneuver attack?
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Stats for a taser?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 07:46:13 PM »
Yeah, that's one way to do it, and probably the simplest.

If you wanted to get more crunchy with it, I suppose you could say it has a solid Weapon:X value but armor works double against it and the consequences it inflicts disappear after the scene regardless of severity, or something like that.

Or just treat it like any weapon, but remember what kind of weapon it is when it comes time to describe consequences. Sometimes you can just handle the "differences" solely in the narrative layer of play.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 08:01:33 PM »
Weapon:X?

What might appropriate temporary aspects be? Stunned? Distracted? Stunned/Distracted?
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 08:25:06 PM »
Weapon:X?

Yeah, Weapon:2, Weapon:3, these are Weapon:X notations.

What might appropriate temporary aspects be? Stunned? Distracted? Stunned/Distracted?

Stunned! In Pain! Tazed!
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Ard3

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 08:26:20 PM »
What ever describes it well and suits situation.
Immobile, Cramping, Spasming etc.

Or, my personal favourite: "Twiching in uncontrollable and possibly amusing way"

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 08:30:44 PM »
Consequence: "Don't taze me bro!"
First ever Goblin Knight... so there

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
Things found, Problems Solved
      No Birthday Parties

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 08:32:53 PM »
I've been reading X-Men too much, Weapon:X threw me off. I thought it meant un-statable/no damage/something thereof. Or "oh god, oh god, Wolverine is killing me!"

So would the taser be Weapon:0? It doesn't actually do damage...

I'll write these aspects down  ;D

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 08:35:03 PM »
So would the taser be Weapon:0? It doesn't actually do damage...

it doesn't do damage but it does cause stress which is the important thing. i'd say a weapon:2 armor counts double. with a note saying that after the scene all stress is cleared from it no matter how severe.
First ever Goblin Knight... so there

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
Things found, Problems Solved
      No Birthday Parties

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 11:35:15 PM »
Police issue X26 Taser - Weapon:2, armor counts double against. All stress caused by this weapon is cleared after the scene, no matter how severe.

Correct? Something seems off...

EDIT: I feel like it should hinder their ability to move or attack or stay focused during after they get tazed, but I'm not sure hot to describe that...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 11:39:15 PM by Mal_Luck »

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 01:24:06 AM »
Police issue X26 Taser - Weapon:2, armor counts double against. All stress caused by this weapon is cleared after the scene, no matter how severe.

Consequences, not stress. Stress clears after the scene anyway.

EDIT: That said I like the idea of "doesn't inflict consequences at all, just inflicts stress" in a way, as running out of stress boxes *does* leave you vulnerable.  So maybe if that's your implementation, if you score a hit that would go off the end of the track, it lands on the highest available box that's on the track.  But that said, I'm not 100% sure this idea would play well at the table. You'd need to test it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 01:26:14 AM by iago »
Fred Hicks

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 01:58:40 AM »
The consequences being stuff like Stunned and Tazed?

Police issue X26 Taser - Weapon:2, armor counts double against. All consequences caused by this weapon is cleared after the scene, no matter how severe.

Offline void

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 11:56:08 AM »
Personally, I'd call it weapon:0, MAAAAYBE weapon:1, but you can't take consequences beyond Mild. If you'd need to and cannot, you're taken out instead.

This might seem severe, but anyone packing a taser isn't intending to kill, and they've only got one shot ready for most models.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 12:13:07 PM »
I dont see why it cant deal stress, since stress isn't permanent to begin with. Physical stress is described as bruises, cuts, scrapes, that sort of thing. Nothing serious. I think it should deal 2 points of physical stress, enough to take out people unless they are willing to take consequences. I think however, that the consequences should end at the end of a scene, no matter how serious they be.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 12:18:56 PM »
Personally, I'd call it weapon:0, MAAAAYBE weapon:1, but you can't take consequences beyond Mild. If you'd need to and cannot, you're taken out instead.

This might seem severe, but anyone packing a taser isn't intending to kill, and they've only got one shot ready for most models.

Oooh, I like this version. Tasers wear off quick, but they're also really likely to take someone the hell out. This combines those facts in a simple and coherent fashion. Kudos.

Offline void

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 12:30:35 PM »
Exactly. Makes a great way to punctuate a scene dramatically for someone who's just dealt with some minor (or major) scuffle, too.

So, the beast was down. I still didn't really know what it was, but I was standing and it wasn't. Good enough for me. I turned to leave, and a scared cop -- some rookie, or maybe she's just one of those girls that never seems to age -- had something leveled at my chest.

Crap. A taser. Can my life get any more awesome? I raise my hand and open my mouth, but I don't even really remember what I was going to say. Y'see, that's when she jerked and pulled the trigger.

Yeah. Down I went.