Author Topic: Spell-Blocker Item of Power  (Read 4711 times)

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
Spell-Blocker Item of Power
« on: April 19, 2010, 06:31:04 PM »
I'm not convinced this is the best place for this, but...

What powers would be work best for an Item Of Power whose sole purpose is to block spells - any spell - without needing a spell-caster to use it?  And when I say "block" I mean "hold it between you and the incoming magic and the spell is blocked" - though not, I imagine, with absolute certainty of success.  To be honest, I'm not entirely certain such an item is possible in the setting...
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Spell-Blocker Item of Power
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 06:39:57 PM »
Physical Immunity would work, just have the Catch be Non-magical attacks.
First ever Goblin Knight... so there

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
Things found, Problems Solved
      No Birthday Parties

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 06:42:08 PM »
I find this idea a bit Taltos-ish -- is the inspiration "spell-eater" here?

First off we need to think about your description. Blocking a spell is not functionally different from dodging the spell -- you're looking to cause Evocation attacks to *miss*, because there's not really any sort of "hold between me and the spell" going on with Thaumaturgy.  Many evocation attacks are a case of point and shoot, aimed by Discipline, dodged by Athletics.  Other spells will be aimed at the mind, defended by an appropriate skill.  If the skill rolls well enough -- better than the Discipline roll made to aim the spell at the target -- then the spell does not connect.  It seems reasonable this item might also absorb some spell-energies even if the spell *hits*.

What you may want here is a combination of effects:

- The Item of Power rebate (which you can figure out as per the rules)
- A spell-defense power that lets you roll, say, Weapons as the skill of defense against magical attacks (stunt; new trapping; -1 refresh), probably at a +2 (stunt; -1 refresh).
- A little bit of armor that only works against magical effects.  "Only against magical effects" feels narrowed enough there, so I'd say -1 refresh for every Armor:1 you wanna get, which I'd cap at 3 since Armor:3 is what you get for Mythic Toughness but we're skipping things like extra stress boxes here.   Or maybe it's better to say "take a Toughness power, and give it The Catch: Only vs. Magic" and let you get all those benefits.

So, -2, reduced further by whatever your "when it hits" ability of choice is, then mitigated by the Item of Power rebate.

Not so hard.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 06:42:59 PM »
Physical Immunity would work, just have the Catch be Non-magical attacks.

Yep, that's a direction you can go, but I was also thinking about the whole "needs to deliberately interpose the object" bit.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 06:45:14 PM »
Immunity would probably work great for that.  Lets see, -8 for immunity, +2 or 3 for the catch, and +2 for the item of power discount, and you have some really cheap immunity to magic.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 06:46:49 PM »
Immunity would probably work great for that.  Lets see, -8 for immunity, +2 or 3 for the catch, and +2 for the item of power discount, and you have some really cheap immunity to magic.

... that EVERYONE will want to steal. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 06:47:46 PM »

yeah, no kidding.  Hello, plot hook.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 06:49:05 PM »

That has "be careful what you wish for" written alll over it

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
      No Birthday Parties

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 06:55:46 PM »
yeah, no kidding.  Hello, plot hook.

I was just about to comment on how he should internalize it, take the extra refresh cost and avoid that trouble. when it occured to me that a sufficiently big enough fae would probably just carry him into battle as a shield...

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
      No Birthday Parties

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 06:59:22 PM »

Should'nt that be cheaper?
(+2 from only protecting against one thing, +2 because "not magic" is common, +1 because it probably not be something that needed to be found out through experience = +5)
With Item of Power +6 or +7...

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 07:00:53 PM »
I find this idea a bit Taltos-ish -- is the inspiration "spell-eater" here?

Correct!  ;D

In those books, the item in question (initially, at least) is a length of chain that is spun between wielder and foes to block spells.  Most of the time they would be spells of a type of evocation so yes, just blocking those makes sense.  Of course, in the books the chain always works perfectly (through the power of Plot Device) but we can't have that in a game, can we? ;)

I like the skill substitution/bonus idea and Weapons makes the most sense, unless the Item was, say, golden bracelets crossed in front of you ;) which would probably use Fists.  Adding on a bit of Armor too for added measure for last resort backup is a great idea.  I'll also take a look at the Toughness powers too, see if that works.

Nice, thanks :)

Immunity would be good for a protective amulet/tattoo/crown kind of deal, I think.  A good goal for a adventure or villain, perhaps?
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 07:05:09 PM »
Immunity would be good for a protective amulet/tattoo/crown kind of deal, I think.  A good goal for a adventure or villain, perhaps?

Yeah, a few villains out there have Immunity to Magic (netting refresh of -3 thanks to a +5 catch -- see the Scarecrow Fetch on OW43). I'd be very careful about allowing Immunities for PCs, myself.
Fred Hicks

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 07:36:38 PM »
Mortal magic would be something specific.  All magic is very broad and would only get a +1, but protection from magic is way more powerful than physical immunity to it, so I'd give it +0 in that respect, so I'd make the catch +2 because everyone has access to non-magical force, and +1 if I was feeling generous to represent how easy it would be to discover the catch.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Biff Dyskolos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 10:15:48 PM »
This topic has got me thinking about something related and possible off-topic but...

What about when Harry redirected
(click to show/hide)
?

He improved it so I assume it was an evocation. A block would have protected the target but wouldn't redirect the spell. It's more like a counterspell used to catch the spell's energy, instead of countering it, and then recasting the original spell. An evocation using another spell as the energy source instead of gathering power yourself? And you would not need to have any knowledge of the "element" use for the original spell.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 10:29:31 PM »
Such an item is already statted, take a look at Our World page 210, Madrigal Raith.