Author Topic: UBcon game report  (Read 3348 times)

Offline eberg

• Participant
    • View Profile
UBcon game report
« on: April 17, 2010, 01:59:54 AM »
I was lucky to get a full six players, all of whom where fans of the books. Only one person was familiar with FATE (via Spirit of the Century), but even with having to explain the mechanics to everyone it went very smoothly. Everyone seemed to love the system. There was some concern about the Mental Stress cost of evocations prior to actually playing, but honestly there wasn't any problems with it during actual play. The magic was epic but serious injuries were sustained (one of the Wardens picked up a Severe, Moderate, and Mild Physical Consequence all in one hit from an Elder Gruff). Everybody was happy at the flexibility and, as per the game rules, we went with "describe what you want to do and figure the system out afterward" and it worked great. Nobody felt the magic was underpowered but, as stated, there were definitely real threats. Some notes:

1) I was impressed at how much variation I was able to get with six Wardens. Between Aspects, specializations, and careful spending of the couple free points of Refresh led to six very different characters: an Unseelie Changeling, a shapeshifter, a houngan marked by Baron Samedi, a master of fire magic, a swordmistress, and an ex-cop. Similarly, nobody felt like there character was underpowered compared to the others, even those with a couple mortal stunts instead of extra supernatural powers or Refinement.

2) I was very happy with how the Social Conflict went. It was an interrogation scene with a Red Court Vampire and showed off well the integration of role-play and mechanics. The Wardens got most of the information they wanted before the fire mage incinerated him out of vengeance, but realized later they had missed out on some key bits of information. The mechanics definitely made it easier for me, as a GM, to run. I've always had trouble imposing rolls on social situations and have been uncomfortable with how much is left to arbitrary GM judgment in the social sphere. It feels better for everyone when you can say "his Discipline defense roll easily beats your Intimidation roll, so he laughs off your threats" instead of just saying after fifteen minutes of menacing RP "he laughs off your threats because he's a badass" and having your PCs feel that their efforts were wasted because you'd already decided he's not going to talk.

3) I can't express how much I love the magic system. It is versatile without being arbitrary, combines all of the elements of magic in the books (gathering power, tiring, losing control) into a single roll, and integrates focus and enchanted items in a really cool way.

That's all I have for now. Happy to answer any questions or queries.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: UBcon game report
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 02:02:51 AM »
one of the Wardens picked up a Severe, Moderate, and Mild Physical Consequence all in one hit from an Elder Gruff
You mess with the goats, you get the horns!

Thank you SO MUCH for posting about your play experiences.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 02:07:15 AM »
Now for my questions. :)

Did anyone get goosed by backlash or fallout?

What sort of spells got slung around?

Are you planning on running this again, and if so, how can people find you to participate? If you aren't, is it something you could write up as a scenario booklet (Word Doc file at least)?
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Sigma77

• Participant
  • When in doubt? Call in God's Fist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 02:07:33 AM »
You mess with the goats, you get the horns!

Thank you SO MUCH for posting about your play experiences.

...Coming from a guy who's been headbutted by a live goat? I really have to agree.

Offline ClarkValentine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 02:17:01 AM »
This deserves a hell yeah.
- Clark Valentine

Offline eberg

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 01:32:20 PM »
Did anyone get goosed by backlash or fallout?

Nope, folks played it safe in terms of the power they drew. Rote evocations had a lot to do with that, but they were also just careful.

What sort of spells got slung around?

Let's see... the shaman used a wind evocation to batter some mortal mercs into unconsciousness to avoid breaking the First Law. The changeling used her Unseelie Magic to provide them respite in a blizzard, to cast evocation curses to hex their enemies, and put a fantastic veil on herself. The fire master performed a devastating zone-wide fire attack, but was the target of the same boosted by Hellfire when his mentor turned out to be the traitor. The houngan used earth magic to entomb the elder gruff that disemboweled the shaman. The sword mistress used earth magic (magnetism) to disarm one of the gruffs of his massive sword. The cop used his tracking-spell specific magical compass focus to track their prey through the city.

One of the coolest things that happened was when the fire wizard was hit with the massive amount of hellfire. He opted to take an extreme consequence, saying that he would use his mastery of fire magic to absorb some of the hit but would be tainted by it. He changed his WHITE COUNCIL CRED aspect to TAINTED BY HELLFIRE, reflecting both the corruption of his magic and his reputation by the betrayal of his mentor.

Are you planning on running this again, and if so, how can people find you to participate? If you aren't, is it something you could write up as a scenario booklet (Word Doc file at least)?

I was going to run it at GenCon, but my wife is going to be seven months pregnant when we go so I opted not to. I would be happy to write it up, though? Most of it is already done.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 01:34:14 PM by eberg »

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 02:01:24 PM »
I would be happy to write it up, though? Most of it is already done.

Yes please. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 04:46:30 PM »
Sounds most excellent.
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 05:01:32 PM »
It was well run. i played the fire mage.
Brian Blacknight

Offline DGibb

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 04:44:52 PM »
This sounds awesome.  I look forward to Origins where I can get my grubby little hands on the books and play some of the games!  I am re-re-reading the books right now, after plowing through Changes.  I am about 60 pages into White Knight, and will be all refreshed for Origins!