Author Topic: Dresden files LARP  (Read 10442 times)

Offline Erlkoeneg

• Participant
    • View Profile
Dresden files LARP
« on: January 26, 2007, 05:21:53 AM »
Hello everyone! This isn't necessarily related to the rpg, but...

I am a member of a Role-playing/improv group called Westfinder (an offshoot of Wayfinder, but we're in California), and I am writing a game based upon the Dresden Files. I already have the basic flow worked out, but I'm still looking for ideas. If you have any, please post.

As well, if there are any dresden-philes in the bay area (SF, Oakland, Berkeley, etc.) anyone and everyone is free to join.

Now then, a little bit about west/wayfinder. Wayfinder is an improv/roleplaying/theater group, over in New York. The basic premise of most games is, everyone gets their character, complete with motives, history, costume, etc. Every game has a "Flow" which is the basic idea of what the writer had in mind, but games rarely go according to flow, and often get quite spectacular. Westfinder is exactly the same, we're just in California.

So, yes, I'm looking for ideas to supplement my existing flow, and people in the bay area who might want in on this.

Offline Samldanach

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden files LARP
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 01:03:56 PM »
Er, I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for.  Plot hooks?  Bits to enhance the setting?  Concepts for what might be in the Bay area in the Dresdenverse?

Offline Erlkoeneg

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 11:44:17 PM »
I'm mostly looking for ideas of stuff to include in the story. If there is a loose end that you want tied up, a character you want to see more of, anything like that. I need to have enough characters and ideas to keep arounds 35-50 odd people busy for about 3 hours, as that is about how along a standard game is.

Sorry if my post wasn't very well worded, or at all clear.

Offline Abstruse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace Page
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 09:31:02 AM »
Biana's Ball is the best setting for that many people...

The Abstruse One
Darryl Mott Jr.

Offline Erlkoeneg

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 03:06:14 AM »
That would be a good idea, if my current plan doesn't wind up working.

Offline Abstruse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace Page
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 04:54:10 AM »
Bianca's Ball is the only point in the novels where a lot of different types of characters got together and fighting wasn't the main objective.  Even if you don't do that exactly, you'll have to do something similar to that.  Possibly a Council meeting with emissaries from the other supernatural powers.  It's cliched in LARP circles, but it's the only way I can think of to get a bunch of Dresden Files characters together without everyone wanting to behead/immolate/crush/eat/etc. at least one other person.

The Abstruse One
Darryl Mott Jr.

Offline Darrington

• Conversationalist
  • "The magic nachos will save me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 12:39:47 AM »
Hmmm.... Dresden LARP.  That would be interesting.  Should this ever take off, maybe I'll have something else I can check out in California should I be forced to resort to going there for my car.  I've absolutely no experience with LARPing, so maybe I shouldn't ask how magic and such could be pulled off, and with that many people.  :o

DA
"You can't hate a plant for being green." -In reference to a faerie screwing you over in deals.
"YES YOU CAN!!" -In reference to Wizard Darrington getting screwed over a dozen times too many.

A sword fight with a Red after both of us getting hit by a concussion grenade is not a good plan.

Offline Erlkoeneg

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 05:06:17 PM »
In response to Abstruse; my current idea isn't entirely cannon, I'm just using some loose ends I want to see tied up, and there might be some deal of combat going on.

And Darrington, feel free to come, westfinder is always looking for new converts. If your going to be in the bay area whnever this happens (No date yet), feel free to come. No experience neccesary, most of the systems for this game would be a little different than usual anyway.

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 01:49:10 AM »
I'd be interested in seeing the rules you use for this. I've never gotten "into" LARPs and the logistics seem pretty huge. How do you coordinate so many people? How do you regulate what players may or may not attempt to do? How do you run magic?

Etc, etc. Any hints or details would be appreciated.  :)
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline Erlkoeneg

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 04:35:53 PM »
haha, now I get to explain it all.

The basics of a game, at least in this sense is simple.

There is the game's writer, who makes up stuff for the game. Before the game actually happens, they must write several things

-PC list, the list of all the player-characters in the game.
-Motives, write down all the motives each character has.
- The flow, which is a general idea of how the game SHOULD go.
-character sheets, a description of the character, their past, personality, what they can do, etc.
- The tease, just a short storie to open up the game, possibly provide a prologue, and set the tone of the game.

How does one regulate what players may opr may not do? You don't, really. Once everyone has gotten their  character sheets and everyone knows their motives and all relevant backstory and has gotten 'into character', the game just, goes. Everything is improved, and it might wind up following the flow, or it might  go in a completely different direction. The bad guys might win, everyone might die, or the heroes survive triumphantly, it really all depends.

The magic system for westfinder is fairly straight forward, but would take too long to describe. For a game like this, the system would be tweaked somewhat. Most of the magc would be what we call "improv magic" Where a characters reaction is based in part on what they know of the spell, and whatever specifics might guide that character (For example, thrusting your hand out and shouting "shower of nails!" at a faerie would elicit either death or extreme pain, then death, while on someone whereing armor, they woudl have the options of a) shruggin it off, b) grunting, then fighting as if in pain, or c) being severely disabled, at least until healed).

note, this is a rather incomplete description, as I don't have much time on my hands. sorry.

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 04:36:43 AM »
There is the game's writer, who makes up stuff for the game. Before the game actually happens, they must write several things

-PC list, the list of all the player-characters in the game.
-Motives, write down all the motives each character has.
- The flow, which is a general idea of how the game SHOULD go.
-character sheets, a description of the character, their past, personality, what they can do, etc.
- The tease, just a short storie to open up the game, possibly provide a prologue, and set the tone of the game.
Eek! So the writer has to come up with all of the character information, including the motivation for each character? That sounds like a lot of work and seems like it would drain the creativity out of the game for the players, unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean above. I can certainly see where a general plotline would be in order, but the rest of it sure sounds exhausting.

Too bad the magic system is improv; I think the magic in DF is one of the aspects that makes the books somewhat unique and had hoped that you had something more concrete.  :(  Well, maybe it is concrete but hard to explain?
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline Erlkoeneg

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 04:48:17 PM »
all the character information the writer has to come up with is really only to enable the player to get into the character, and be able to improv and act acordingly. Past the general mindset of the character and its histroy etc, the player has complete freedom. and yes, it still takes a long time.

and as for the improv magic, that's just the basic system. This will be a somewhat unusual game (There are actualy several systemized aspects of the magic system, such as druids, clerics, alchemists, oneiromancers, summoners, and runecasters) and we will have to permute the magic system slightly to fit the basics of the dresden universe.
(It takes a lllooonnnggg time to explain, but its still the most simple of any magic system I've ever come across0