Author Topic: Mental Stress and Spellcasting  (Read 2051 times)

Offline Sigma77

• Participant
  • When in doubt? Call in God's Fist.
    • View Profile
Mental Stress and Spellcasting
« on: April 15, 2010, 04:21:13 AM »
So, I was hoping someone could help me out here. It's noted that each time a spellcaster calls on Power, they take at minimum one box of mental stress. So, a character with high conviction gets four boxes...but that does that mean he can only use a few evocations, even weaker ones, before having to take a consequence? Doesn't seem like one gets to defend against it, so I wasn't sure. Quite frankly, I'm new to the Fate system in general, so I'm trying to wrap my brain around it. Much more used to DnD.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Mental Stress and Spellcasting
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 04:27:52 AM »
Yep. That's exactly what it means, though bear in mind that your filled Stress boxes go completely away after every fight, and Mild Cosequences go away pretty quick, too. Since you're used to D&D, think of it not unlike spells per day, only on a slightly different timescale.

Offline Walker_Blade

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 04:53:40 AM »
Yeah, this limit was one of my biggest problems with the magic system until some folks pointed some stuff out.

1: in the books Harry doesn't usually do that many spells before feeling tired (Consequences)  and a decent conviction, plus the conviction stunt that allows you to take more mild mental consequences. and honestly, given how powerful spells are you don't usually need that many.

2: Harry dosent start throwing spells around willy-nilly until he has either Hellfire or Soulfire, which as sponsored magic can have their costs paid by the sponsor.  There is debt incurred, but not necessarily any mental stress.

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 04:57:34 AM »
In addition Sponsored Magic can use Thaumaturgie in some cases (like Hellfire and destructive Magic) at Evocation speed.
In Thaumaturgie if the Power is below your conviction score you dont get mental stress.

Offline Sigma77

• Participant
  • When in doubt? Call in God's Fist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 05:44:01 AM »
That's another thing I wanted to ask, if you guys don't mind - Sponsored Magic. One of the things it talked about is "supercharging" an element your specialized with. It didn't really go into detail with the effects this seems to have, however. So I guess my question is this: What's the benefits of adding Sponsored magic as an element of evocation? (Summer Fire for example)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 05:50:21 AM »
You can tag aspects without paying for them, which is more or less supercharging on a rather grand scale, actually.

Of course, that builds up your debt...

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 05:55:07 AM »
Also dont forget that each subsequent spell you cant can be more powerful if your conviction or power rating is high enough. Your second mental stress slot can soak up 2 mentral stress, and your third can soak up 3, and so on. This will quickly go past your ability to use Rote Spells though, and you'll most likely start taking physical stress in order to channel the excess.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 06:13:20 AM »
Also dont forget that each subsequent spell you cant can be more powerful if your conviction or power rating is high enough. Your second mental stress slot can soak up 2 mentral stress, and your third can soak up 3, and so on. This will quickly go past your ability to use Rote Spells though, and you'll most likely start taking physical stress in order to channel the excess.

Not...exactly. Stress rolls up, so after you take your first Mental Stress if you take one more it eats up your second stress box.

On the other hand, once you've taken stress there IS precious little reason to feel limited by your Conviction any more...so you can go all out at relatively little Mental Stress cost.

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 01:37:40 PM »
so you end up taking a calculated risk by splattering that red court vampire with a 9 power lightning bolt (air evocation) taking 1 moderate mental consequence, 1 mental stress (conviction is +5). fizzled though with the control roll, getting 2 physical stress and 1 mild physical consequence from backlash, but still had enough luck to fry the red. (happened in yesterday's session.)