Author Topic: A question about enchanted items  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
A question about enchanted items
« on: April 15, 2010, 03:32:14 AM »
well its actually not an enchanted item, its an enchanted tatoo, that he has had since birth. his dad, death gave it to him (dont my characters have the nicest familys?) so i am using it as an aspect, but i wanted it to be the source of his powers, but im not sure if thats doable, but we are doing it on a pbp (sometime soon, so who knows when?!)  so my gm isnt using the exact same rules that you made, i am not sure what he is changing exactly, i just know its pretty much the same, but would an enchanted symbol follow the same rules as an item of power?
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: A question about enchanted items
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 03:33:47 AM »
If you can't be deprived of it short of carving off your skin, it's not an item, it's a part of you. See the Tattoos of St. Giles -- done up as a power, not an item of any kind.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 03:34:22 AM »
I would guess that it would depend on the actual function of the tattoo. Does the character have to activate it or is it just the metaphysical source of his power?

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 03:37:52 AM »
 thanks fred :)
See its the physical source of his power, it makes him stronger and its what gives him his power,it sort of like how harrys is, well magic i guess, it is the source you see, but it has a weak spot, a place where his powers dont work, his heart?and or soul, because he is half human so his powers can be stopped, i dont really have time to explain it well right now, ill tell you guys how it works in my mind proabably tommorow
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 03:45:03 AM by Kincaid »

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 03:43:55 AM »
He sort of has to activate it i guess, i havent thought it all the way through, and thanks fred :)

If he's got it only some of the time, consider the Human Form power (I think that's its name).
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 03:44:52 AM »
If he's got it only some of the time, consider the Human Form power (I think that's its name).

It is. And yeah, that's how you have powers that are part of you but you need to turn on.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 03:45:56 AM »
cool cool, thanks, thats how i imagined it

Offline Ihadris

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 06:53:35 AM »
I have  been having a similar discussion with one of my players who wanted to receive bonuses to his spell casting from freeing his 'dark side' that is normally repressed through the use of an amulet. Human Form didnt seem to apply since he still had his usual spell casting powers and he didnt want to purchase Demonic Co-Pilot since he was low on refresh. We could have used the Beast Change power but he already had his conviction and discipline at +5 which is the cap for the game we are running.

The solution we came to was that he take the amulet as an aspect, a focus item and when wanting to receive a bigger bonus 'use' it as a self maneuver placing a temporary aspect such as "In-tune with my Darkside' on himself with a free tag. Further bonuses available from tagging his trouble aspect and the aspect from his amulet. The theme is preserved with some narrative colour. He "takes off the amulet" or attunes himself with it as a free action when using it as a foci. He "mentally prepares himself" for giving into his darkside further when using the manuever
(click to show/hide)

Just thought I'd chime in with this in case it might help.