Author Topic: Animals  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Animals
« on: April 13, 2010, 10:53:29 AM »
have I missed this?

except for a few monsters - hellhounds, etc - there are no animals in the books?

is there a list for FATE games with some basic animals? (somewhere on the web?) dogs, cats, horses, etc.

I was faced with the problem to provide guard dogs which my players had to outsneak...

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Animals
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 11:05:42 AM »
Yeah, animals would be good. Or at least some general ideas on how to stat them. They do actually come up, after all.

I mean, at what point do you give an animal Inhuman or Supernatural Attributes? Do you give hem Powers at all? Moe doesn't have them (despite Gorillas, as a rule, being definitively stronger than people), but some critters need them to work. For example I'd personally give an Elephant Supernatural attributes on par with an older Gruff, but is that actually reasonable?

Clearly (due to Moe), we know more or less what a gorilla looks like, but what about a rottweiler, a wolf, a kodiak bear? Hell, what about a particularly mean house cat. We don't even have stats for Mister. Eight or nine brief statblocks (probably 7 or 8 skills a piece, and two or three Stunts and powers) like say, Dog, Cat, Wolf, Bear, Raven, Bird of Prey, Big Cat, Elephant (or something else exotic), Dolphin, and Shark would give some actual scope to how animals work.

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 11:26:36 AM »
Sharks with lasers mounted on their dorsal fins!

sorry...I couldn't resist throwing that out there.

Offline void

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 11:50:50 AM »
This sounds like fan collaboration material to me.

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 05:27:11 PM »
I would lean towards no powers for animals. Powers are considered to be things that bend or break the laws of physics, with the exception of some of the Creature Feature abilities.

It is perfectly acceptable to jack an elephant's Endurance into the upper realms of insanity and/or give it Hulking Size, though you may have to disregard the skill structure for the sake of simplicity in some cases.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 05:49:55 PM »
This sounds like fan collaboration material to me.

Good material for dresdenverse.wikidot.com or dresdenfilesrpg.wikidot.com for sure.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/