Author Topic: Can I tag a catch  (Read 1807 times)

Offline The Codex

• Participant
    • View Profile
Can I tag a catch
« on: April 12, 2010, 06:02:04 PM »
Ok so nice simple example my question is does it make snse in the rules as a catch is not an aspect:

confronted by some fey our intrpid hero wants to stop them from kidnapping the young girl he is protecting he decides to use some iron filelings he has to block the fey from approaching by using there catch of iron and using his intimidation to warn them off and that he knows how to deal with them. As GM I would say that all makes sense except a catch is not a aspect. Same would apply with holy water and demons, holy symbols and vamps, evil monster and his 'catch'

Would you have to declare the catch? I am a little confused

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
Re: Can I tag a catch
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 06:05:18 PM »
I'm still in the process of learning the rules, but... wouldn't that be compelling w/e the creature's fae aspect is?
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Buscadera

• Conversationalist
  • Machiavelli ain't got nothin' on me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 06:05:33 PM »
I wouldn't think you'd have to declare the catch at all. If you're talking about using cold iron to ward off fae, for example, it's just as intimidating as waving around a gun at a person. You don't have to tag your gun when intimidating some street punk, or at least I wouldn't think so.
"Gus, I'm a lyrical gangster. I'll use some colorful vernacular and if necessary, you'll engage in fisticuffs" -Shawn Spencer

"Doesn't that suck? I just hit you for no reason. I don't even know why." -Harry Lockhart

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 06:30:23 PM »
Throwing down the iron filings is a manoeuvre - sorry, manoever.  It places, oh, "barrier of iron filings" on the area in question and the aforementioned intrepid hero uses the aspect to bolster his intimidation.
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 06:51:50 PM »
Tagging a catch is done by tagging the creature's High Concept Aspect, which can, as a rule for supernatural creatures, be used on all their powers, but also tagged or compelled for all their weaknesses.

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 10:26:19 PM »
Using iron to intimidate one of the fae makes sense and in a social conflict I would say it' like telling someone you know their deepest fear and aren't afraid to use it against thems