Author Topic: Historical Dresden Settings?  (Read 1913 times)

Offline The Codex

• Participant
    • View Profile
Historical Dresden Settings?
« on: April 12, 2010, 03:08:03 PM »
I have just had an awesome thought could you do 1920's dresden, I mean there is nothing mechanically that would change?

Also and inspired by some comments people made about city settings, you could pilfer so much info from Cthulhu Setting books....

Does anybody think that a different time period wouldn't work?

is there an exisitng time line of known facts about different fractions in the dresden world, when people signed the accords, who was around when, that kind of thing?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Historical Dresden Settings?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 03:14:03 PM »
Naw, you'd just have to rejigger your notions of what technology is out there and available.  Facts are thin on the ground about the earlier timeline of things, though.

Also see: http://www.rickneal.ca/?p=606
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 06:01:04 PM »
It'd certainly be interesting, not my thing but it'd be interesting.

Kemmler and his students would be around, probably look into any event Ebenezer claimed he was behind from around that time: Tunguska, etc. If you do it in say the 50s, the event Morgan mentions in TC could be interesting to witness. Hell, a Wizard's first reactions to the Manhattan Project would be very entertaining. Depending on you guess how old Ivy's grandmother was (I think she was younger?) you could have Kincaid pre-Archive bodyguard duty. Perhaps any major plague outbreak could be explained by the Denarians. Adventures and lives of the previous Knights of the Cross.

There is alot that could be done.
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Buscadera

• Conversationalist
  • Machiavelli ain't got nothin' on me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 06:09:22 PM »
Another thing to remember is that if you go back far enough, wizards would be able to keep current with technology until about the 1950s.
"Gus, I'm a lyrical gangster. I'll use some colorful vernacular and if necessary, you'll engage in fisticuffs" -Shawn Spencer

"Doesn't that suck? I just hit you for no reason. I don't even know why." -Harry Lockhart

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 08:53:04 PM »
Wasnt it established that Wizards always had problems with new technology?
So in 1900 they would have problems with tech newer than 1850?

Offline Belmonte

• Conversationalist
  • O Dei! Lava quod est sordium!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 09:04:44 PM »
We don't know for sure.  Ebenezer has an old, beat-up truck from WWI/WW2, but he's 300 years or so old.

This is an option in the books though for hexing at least, and I'd lean towards it.  Just would say Ebenezer's really good at control. ;P
When you ship or slash, God kills a kitten.  You don't want God to kill a kitten, do you?

Offline Morgan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 11:18:51 PM »
In my just started home game we are playing in 1920s prohibition Chicago. During City Creation we had an interesting discussion about Wizards and technology in that time period. What we decided was that Wizards could and would definitely still hex technology, but it wouldn't be nearly as bad as a Wizard in a modern microelectronics dominated world. We also discussed why pre-WWII tech seems to be more durable to magic and hexing, the reason we came up with was the shift in human belief in science as opposed to magic that got hammered home by the atomic bomb.

So for our 1920s game we've decided that since that major shift in magic vs technology hasn't happened yet, the hexing will only come up when it would make an interesting compel or is an active hexing attempt. Which given the rules is pretty much how it should be anyway, but the lack of computers, cell phones, and other high tech electronics everywhere means that it probably won't be as easy to compel at almost any time.