Author Topic: Enchanted Items Patch - Important, holy crap!  (Read 33376 times)

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Enchanted Items Patch - Important, holy crap!
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2010, 11:26:51 PM »
Maybe a Stunt that allows you to use items up to your Conviction or Discipline?

Or if your name is Bruce Wayne, Rescources. (also would work well for a rich mortal collector)

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2010, 11:44:55 PM »
If a True Mortal adopted an item, would he lose his refresh bonus?
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2010, 12:06:15 AM »
If a True Mortal adopted an item, would he lose his refresh bonus?

He'd need to have some way to have enchanted item slots in order to adopt it, right? So that'd involve taking some sort of power. Thus, not pure mortal.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2010, 06:38:50 AM »
New question, really hope I'm not repeating something that hasn't already been answered.  Lets say you have an enchanted item that is block X/armor:X/2 with 3 uses per session.  How long does each use of the item last?  Just for the one defense roll its activated for, or the entire exchange?
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Biff Dyskolos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2010, 02:52:08 PM »
New question, really hope I'm not repeating something that hasn't already been answered.  Lets say you have an enchanted item that is block X/armor:X/2 with 3 uses per session.  How long does each use of the item last?  Just for the one defense roll its activated for, or the entire exchange?

That's a good question. I had not thought about that.

In Diaspora your defencive roll "stays on the table" and is used as your defence for all attacks that round - as long as the skill rolled is appropriate for the attack. If you rolled a dodge (Athletics) for a weapons attack then that is your defence for all dodgable attacks that round. If the next attack was a Composure attack then you would have to roll a new defence.

You could do something similar here.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #110 on: April 25, 2010, 09:26:57 PM »

In my game I would *probably* say until the end of the scene or (if you're using the block style) until it's "broken" (overcome), though I could see a case being made for it being on a per-hit basis. It's the weekend, so I'm not gonna kill myself looking through the chapter yet again to see if we get more explicit than that. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline KOFFEYKID

• Conversationalist
  • Im BLEEDING Caffeine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2010, 01:23:09 PM »

It seems to me that you have to factor in the duration of the effect when you create the enchanted item. The enchanted item is basically a spell in an object, and you have X Shifts of power to give to that spell. Some of those shifts might go towards duration, others would go towards other things.

Offline Biff Dyskolos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2010, 05:35:21 PM »
It seems to me that you have to factor in the duration of the effect when you create the enchanted item. The enchanted item is basically a spell in an object, and you have X Shifts of power to give to that spell. Some of those shifts might go towards duration, others would go towards other things.

There was a topic on rotes (can't find it right now) where Lenny said that once the spell is "in the air" it is just like any other spell. That was why Carlos could retask his Entropy Shield as an attack and why Harry can extend the duration of his Shield. That same reasoning could be applied to enchanted items.

After an item generates the effect (not an attack though, which is instantaneous) it has a default duration of one exchange. But you could extend that duration just like any other spell.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2010, 05:41:33 PM »
Oh, right, right, yes; it's one exchange generally speaking (though some specifics vary); the benefit of choosing to go with block vs. armor is layering (one best block + one best armor rating), and block's general benefit of all-or-nothing vs. stress mitigation.

Note that you don't have to trigger a "use" of a defensive item (one that does a block or an attack) until you otherwise see that the attack would hit ya, which is a hidden but palpable benefit.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 05:43:15 PM by iago »
Fred Hicks

Offline void

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2010, 07:37:05 PM »
The quasi-retroactive facet is an important one, yeah, that a lot of players of other systems might not intuit on their own. Is that clearly implied anywhere in the new source text?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2010, 08:07:19 PM »
The quasi-retroactive facet is an important one, yeah, that a lot of players of other systems might not intuit on their own. Is that clearly implied anywhere in the new source text?
I don't recall, and my current patience level ain't letting me go look. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2010, 10:30:40 PM »
wrong thread... sorry
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2010, 02:07:58 AM »
What type of action (or lack thereof) is it to use defensive items? Because there's been alot of talk about layering them with a Shield or something like that, but I just looked and nowhere does it say that they're anything less than the normal action they'd be as an Evocation to use. Not here anyway, I obviously lack access to the new source files. Which would make them very much not the last-desperate-measures kind of thing this patch's first post refers to them as.

I'm assuming the intent is that they're a free action, but i can't find that actually stated anywhere.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2010, 04:32:50 AM »
I'm assuming the intent is that they're a free action, but i can't find that actually stated anywhere.

Since you can use them at the time that the attack connects, it would follow.

Ah, in fact I appear to have anticipated this, as we have this in the text already: "Defensive items (ones that provide armor or a block, for example) often consume a use at the time of defense and don’t require a separate action to activate."
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 04:39:51 AM by iago »
Fred Hicks

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 03, 2010, 04:39:55 AM »
Since you can use them at the time that the attack connects, it would follow.

Right. Absolutely...where does it say they can do that? Like I said, I looked around and couldn't find it except in discussions in this thread.

Of course, you (unlike I) have the current source document, and it might easily be in there along with the changes in the first post. But it's not explicitly in the first post itself, nor in the Early Bird PDF I've got.