Author Topic: Enchanted Items Patch - Important, holy crap!  (Read 33348 times)

Offline Sigma77

• Participant
  • When in doubt? Call in God's Fist.
    • View Profile
Re: Enchanted Items Patch - Important, holy crap!
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2010, 10:20:15 AM »
A Question:

How would you handle one person (in-game) making an item that someone else could use that has no Enchanted Item slots? Would it just permanetly fill up the person who made it's slots or no? I guess the best examples here could be Luccio's swords, if she made them for a pure mortal? (Doesn't happen as far as we know, but work with me here) How does that apply to HER slots?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2010, 03:04:07 PM »
How would you handle one person (in-game) making an item that someone else could use that has no Enchanted Item slots? Would it just permanetly fill up the person who made it's slots or no? I guess the best examples here could be Luccio's swords, if she made them for a pure mortal? (Doesn't happen as far as we know, but work with me here) How does that apply to HER slots?

If the recipient can't "adopt" the item, you're stuck with it consuming your own slots.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2010, 04:08:55 PM »
Quote from: Sigma77 on Today at 06:20:15 AM

If the recipient can't "adopt" the item, you're stuck with it consuming your own slots.

I imagine given time they could pay a refresh or two effectively taking it as itom of power or "Refinement" showing that theyve "attuned" to it. Im pretty sure these are all just play balance issues though so if you dont really care about that, then its alote simpler to handle.
Brian Blacknight

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2010, 04:11:44 PM »

Hmm, evil idea...
An stolen magic item...  ;D

I suppose the enchanter could/would change it out, but not fast...

Offline Sigma77

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2010, 09:45:16 PM »
My group is one of the ones doing an online playtest, right? So, we're actively trying to break the game in every which way, poking things that look like they can be exploited, etc.. Recently, we think we found something in the enchanted item varient that can be...well, it's ugly, so I'll walk you through the example.

Ex.:
Submerged Power Level

Focused Practitioner
Channeling (Spirit) [-2]
Ritual (Crafting) [-2]
Refinement (Enchantment Slots) [-2] x5

Total Enchantment Slots: 28
Now, lets say this guy doesn't use any Foci - he turns it all into enchantment slots. The build process follows:

The Item in question lets out a concentrated blast of force. It can be anything large, as per the rules, like a staff, basketball, but in this case? I used a Shotgun. Said shotgun can't be used NORMALLY, but I thought it was appropriate for what I'm about to do.

Let's say the creator has a Superb Lore, but nothing else. So the base strength is 5.

One Slot to House the Item.
Two Slots to Give it Four Extra uses per session.
25 Slots to the Strength of the Item.

We suddenly have what's basically a Weapon: 30 that can be used 5 times a session, with more times by calling on but a single box of stress - which, honestly, with that much power? Kind of a good trade off. My question is, was anything here done wrong in the creation process that allowed this kind of silliness, or is in fact, legal?

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2010, 09:51:02 PM »
personally that looks good to me but you're forgetting the fact that you have to hit with that weapon:30 to do any damage with it. And if you only have superb lore a decent shield can block it pretty easily.
Just my two cents
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2010, 09:58:59 PM »
Yeah, that's technically legal. And, while not an I Win button, still quite broken. Maybe limit how many slots can be devoted to a single item (or perhaps instead a single item effect, allowing a Block and an attack to be built into the same item) to the creator's Lore? I can't think of any reasonable items needing more than that.

Now, that'll still max out at Weapon 16, with a Crafting Strength +5 Item, full Thaumaturgy with two specializations in Strength, and five item slots, but it'll also max out at two or three uses (with a point of Frequency Specialization, and maybe an item adding to that), and is more of a thought exercise than a practical item.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2010, 10:01:45 PM »
Mmm, good point there. I might be inclined to limit the number of slots you can put in a single enchanted item to your Lore skill, which would put a practical limit of 4 or 5 on that practice, as has been noted.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2010, 10:04:07 PM »
Mmm, good point there. I might be inclined to limit the number of slots you can put in a single enchanted item to your Lore skill, which would put a practical limit of 4 or 5 on that practice, as has been noted.

Another possible cap might be: you can't create an enchanted item with a strength greater than twice your Lore. That's actually more attractive, as it caps your spell effects out around 8 or 10 regardless of where you're getting the bonuses from.
Fred Hicks

Offline Sigma77

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2010, 10:56:58 PM »
Another possible cap might be: you can't create an enchanted item with a strength greater than twice your Lore. That's actually more attractive, as it caps your spell effects out around 8 or 10 regardless of where you're getting the bonuses from.

This makes a good bit of sense, as it would also help draw the line between Items of Power and Enchanted Items, something that was a little fuzzy, at least on where one becomes another. Also helps keep the items that would normally be rather large in complexity with regards to Thaumaturgy in check.

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2010, 11:08:56 PM »
I like both of them but I'd probably personally use the second one unless I wanted a more pulpy action. 
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2010, 12:11:27 AM »
Adding this to YS280:

"Regardless, an item’s casting strength after all bonuses are totaled may never exceed two times the crafter’s Lore rating. It’s a hard cap."

I'll also point out that, even without this edit, our theoretical 28-slot enchantment guy is off the chart on YS281 when it comes to the size of the enchanted item in question. A refresher:

Up to 4 enchantment slots: no smaller than a ring
Up to 8: no smaller than a fist or rod
Up to 12: no smaller than a basketball or staff

Going by 4's, 28 slots is 5 rungs above where that chart goes:

Up to 16: ?
Up to 20: ?
Up to 24: ?
Up to 28: ?

I'm thinking that since the progression (spherically) is ring to fist to basketball over three rungs, that by the time you're at 24 slots you're talking about something no smaller than a human being, maybe larger. 28 slots? Basically it's a car.  So best of luck transporting that around conveniently. At the end of the day, the thing being described is... a tank. A big, magic tank. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline Sigma77

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2010, 12:36:55 AM »
Harry obviously needs one.

Offline JustinS

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2010, 12:50:11 AM »
Adding this to YS280:

"Regardless, an item’s casting strength after all bonuses are totaled may never exceed two times the crafter’s Lore rating. It’s a hard cap."

I'll also point out that, even without this edit, our theoretical 28-slot enchantment guy is off the chart on YS281 when it comes to the size of the enchanted item in question. A refresher:

Up to 4 enchantment slots: no smaller than a ring
Up to 8: no smaller than a fist or rod
Up to 12: no smaller than a basketball or staff

Going by 4's, 28 slots is 5 rungs above where that chart goes:

Up to 16: ?
Up to 20: ?
Up to 24: ?
Up to 28: ?

I'm thinking that since the progression (spherically) is ring to fist to basketball over three rungs, that by the time you're at 24 slots you're talking about something no smaller than a human being, maybe larger. 28 slots? Basically it's a car.  So best of luck transporting that around conveniently. At the end of the day, the thing being described is... a tank. A big, magic tank. :)

That looks like about tripple radius each time (27 fold in volume) so about 80 foot diamater sphere. So I think that is a magical house.

"That's no moon, that is a battle spell focus!"

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2010, 02:28:15 AM »
Adding this to YS280:

Yeah, that's just a flat out better solution than mine. Have I mentioned lately you folks at Evil Hat are awesome?