Author Topic: themes and threats [possibly stupid question]  (Read 1443 times)

Offline vampmike

• Participant
    • View Profile
themes and threats [possibly stupid question]
« on: April 12, 2010, 07:52:40 PM »
i apologise if this is a stupid question.

i have been working on making a dresdenverse version of London. and my first run through came up with 5 themes and 6 threats! i was able to get it to 3 and 3, but boiling it down to 3 overall has been impossible.

however i came up with a theme/threat, but it embodies both a theme and a threat, is that possible?

i would love to hear people views.

thanks in advance. 

Offline TheeGravedigger

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: themes and threats [possibly stupid question]
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 09:03:44 PM »
Do any of those themes apply to specific areas of the city? If so, they can be applied as themes/threats for the area.

Offline vampmike

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 09:35:06 PM »
no, london has over 2000 years of history and has a very rich occult history, which is as old as the city, i have enough locations to fill 4 sheets of locations hehe.

the theme/threat in question is: city of ancient myth and power. and as im thrying to cut down the themes to 3 i thought this could cover both the positive and negative aspects of the theme/threat.

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 09:45:51 PM »
At the beginning and end of the day, it's your game dude. If you want to run Magical London as a city that has so much history it needs like 12 aspects to fit it all, go ahead. But, for every Theme and Threat you will a have 1 face that upholds that aspect and one that rocks the boat. You can do it, but you might need to do some more work than normal.

I would suggest you talk it over with your group and ask them what is important to them. Whatever Themes and Threats you pick, they will come up throughout your campaign.

In terms of Themes/Threats, just remember this rule of thumb: It is a Theme if it is a normal part of everyone's day and it's existence doesn't really change things, it is a Threat if it can and will ruin the lives of the City and nothing else. 

Though you might make and entire campaign just going from theme to threat to theme. After all, you can only blow up Big Ben with Fire so many times.... ;D
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...