Author Topic: Pure Mortals  (Read 3743 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Pure Mortals
« on: April 11, 2010, 07:06:15 PM »
Anyone planning on playing one?

I gotta say, the Pure Mortal stat blocks that made it into Baltimore and Our World -- mostly penned by Clark Valentine -- are among my favorite statblocks. I'm hoping folks are seeing the potential there, and enjoy the kind of detail you can give a "regular Joe" in an irregular world.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline luminos

• Posty McPostington
  • Um... Hello?
    • View Profile
Re: Pure Mortals
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 07:26:13 PM »
I'm playing a pure mortal in the Seoul game on these boards.  I'm combining a sceptic of the supernatural with a guy who likes getting into fights to make a guy that gets in way over his head without ever realizing it.
Lawful Chaotic

Offline Belmonte

• Conversationalist
  • O Dei! Lava quod est sordium!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 07:56:10 PM »
I may play one eventually, I have some cool concepts.  They're very well done, yeah.  But first is the Knight of the Cross and the Enchanter Wizard.  A focused Enchanter Wizard looks darn scary.
When you ship or slash, God kills a kitten.  You don't want God to kill a kitten, do you?

Offline Ihadris

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 08:14:26 PM »
I'm planning on playing one when my players get used to the rules enough that one of them feels they can GM. I had originally planned on playing a Wizard but found my idea for a Pure Mortal much more interesting: A free-running Assassin for the Venatori Umbrorum.

A trouble aspect of "but how did it kill the cat?" and a few custom atheltics stunts later and I'm not sure I can go without this guy for long enough to not put him in the first game I run even if it is as an npc.

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 08:20:27 PM »
After struggling for 4 days on my Magnetomancer, I sit down to do a True Mortal and mostly succeeded in about 3 hours. Still some Aspect work/history to be done. Maybe it's just because I understand the system better now (2 days ago I still didn't even understand Stunts)

Kurt Crichton (True Mortal)
High Aspect: American Military Brat
Trouble: Stranger in a Strange Land
Other Aspects: Cool Bike, Semper Fu

Skills:
•   Great (+4): Fists
•   Good (+3): Endurance, Athletics
•   Fair (+2): Lore, Conviction, Drive, Resources, Guns
•   Average (+1): Scholarship, Rapport, Alertness, Presence, Empathy

Mortal Stunts
•   Expeditious Retreat (Athletics): When sprinting, gain a +2 to Athletics.
•   Too Fast to Hit (Athletics): When making a full defense, take no penalty for moving one zone and gain an additional +1 to the roll (for a total of +3) when making such a move.
•   Martial Artist [MCMAP] (Fists): Make assessments and declarations related to fighting styles and fighting culture using Fists skill.
•   Extensive Training [Kicking Ass Like Ben Linus] (Fists): Kurt may use his Fists skill instead of Weapons to wield a variety of close combat weaponry: Knives and Telescopic Batons
•   Counterattack (Fists): On a successful defense with Fists (fists, knives, telescopic batons), Kurt may sacrifice his next action to turn that defense into an immediate and automatically successful attack.
•   My Car-Fu is Stronger than Yours (Driving): When you are the one being followed in a car-chase, you have a real talent for sudden turns and daring maneuvers to shake off your pursuers. Gain a +2 to Driving in such a case, but only on for motorcycles.
•   Preternatural Instincts (Lore): Kurt can perceive the presence of a supernatural “ick” factor. Gain +2 to Lore whenever using it as an Alertness substitute to pick up the presence of the Supernatural.

Adjusted Refresh: 2

Stress:
Physical: OOOO
Social: OOO
Mental: OOO

I'm still working out other aspects. I suppose he would be college age, maybe even in school. His dad is a full-bird colonel in the marines so he might be able to have access to extra money on occasion. Kurt likes motorcycles and probably owns a fairly decent one. Growing up a military brat he learned some marine skill, especially MCMAP. He also has a decent awareness of the supernatural world, but he may be in denial.
It's been commented that he's a bit stunt heavy (Too Fast To Hit, My Car-Fu is Stronger than Yours, and Counterattack could probably sit on a shelf until I earn some minor upgrades).

I'm disappointed because I probably won't be able to use him for now, I'm hoping to be able to get into a pbp Dresden game soon...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 08:35:44 PM by Mal_Luck »
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Cripple X

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 08:37:29 PM »
To me, the pure mortal characters are the coolest.  If I was a player I'd be vanilla mortal all the way.  All the players that I've got in my play-by-post game that's starting up seem to be drawn to characters with more super natural oomph.

Offline vonpenguin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 08:53:26 PM »
I'm not playing one in the game I'm in but I do agree that they're pretty interesting. My main problem is having them keep up with supernatural heavy hitters might be tough. Not everyone is a Murphy or a Macrone after all.

Offline The Codex

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 09:29:16 PM »
It has to be said if I am going to play a pure mortal, I really really want to play a character not dissimilar to Jack Burton from a certain film,

High Aspect: Everyman Hero
Trouble: Not sure yet but, "Enemies in High Places", seems themically right....

SOme where in there needs to have something similar to

"Epic Wiseass"

"It's all in the Reflexes"

"ou know what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like this?"

"Everybody relax, I'm here"

"Son of a bitch must pay!"

"Are you crazy... Is that your problem?"

THere all quotes an make such awesome Aspects

ohhh and of course first novel, Big Trouble in Little Chine

This last one may be a little long for an aspect!!!!

Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Offline LCDarkwood

• Warden
  • Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 11:42:05 PM »
It's been commented that he's a bit stunt heavy (Too Fast To Hit, My Car-Fu is Stronger than Yours, and Counterattack could probably sit on a shelf until I earn some minor upgrades).

I disagree. It just means that his awesome is more preconfigured than situational, which is basically the tradeoff vs. refresh and stunts.

Looks good.

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 01:40:11 AM »
We had not one but 2 Pure Mortals in our first game of FATE and DFRPG yesterday.

The first was Edgar Poe, a Detective on the Spokane Gang Unit. He illustrated what happens when people have more FATE points than they can spend.

High Concept: Joe Detective
Trouble: Chain of Command(He is hated from above and below)

Other Apsects: Trial By Fire, Media Spotlight, Contact: Wulf/Shaggy(Resident Wolfwere), Unbeliever(That got compelled ALOT. Especially when they went through the nevernever and met the last survivor of the 500lb. Three Little Pigs) and Right Place, Right Time.

The Other was simply known as The Negotiator (Many jokes ensued), who ended up becoming a vital part of the city even if his player changes characters. He is a Negotiator for the supernatural.

High Concept: The Negotiatior
Trouble: I never leave a job unfinished
Other Aspects: Small-Time Lawyer, Bargaining is a Science, Free-Holding Lord, Blue Moon Tavern, Sometimes Negotiations get Aggressive.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 02:37:27 AM »
my friend's hero is marcone so she is playing a pure mortal stylized from him and its quite an impressive set up. She on average has at least twice usually more like three times as many fate points as everyone else. so she can totally lay the smack down when nessacary.
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline void

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 03:19:07 AM »
In my group, we're looking to have one pure mortal. High Concept: Stunt Driver Extraordinaire. Trouble: "I'm better than that. Just watch."
We're still doing some research and whatnot, so we haven't really pinned down characters fully, but it's a really fun set of concepts in our initial brainstorming.

Offline LCDarkwood

• Warden
  • Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 03:29:41 AM »
I admit, the campaign that mainly interests me right now is an all Pure Mortal, Feet in the Water game.

Like The X-Files with no alien conspiracy.

Hawt.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 03:26:55 PM »
im proabaly going to make a pure mortal cop, but like chris redfield status  :). im either going to play him, the high lore wizard, or the rebellious white court vampire. ill proabably play the pure mortal in my first game, seeing as it will be my first game for dfrpg, and i have not read all the rules.
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline Kelvor

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 04:14:23 PM »
I worked on a Pure Mortal last night that I ran in my D20 Dresden game before the official rpg came out. The next game I run is going to continue this campaign with FATE, and we're playing at Submerged.
Mallory Stern, a Special Investigations cop in my fictional city of Vilnoctum, kicked into the department for her drinking problems and chronic disrespect.
High Concept: Black Cat Gunslinger
Trouble: Functioning Alcoholic
Aspects: "My Name says it all. Stern."; Predator's Eyes; "Quiet! You hear something?"; Respect no Authority but her Own; Always Armed
Took all my stunts directly from the RPG, except one.
Stunts: Acrobat; No Pain, No Gain; Martial Artist; Step Into the Blow; Fast Reload; Target-Rich Environment, Two-Gun Jane.
Two Gun Jane is basically Off Hand Weapon Training, but for guns.
Skills: I went with more of the skill column, rather than pyramid, with Athletics, Guns, and Fists at Great (+4).

I admit the character's very combat focused, but that reflects the original play style of the character in my other system.