Author Topic: Werebear Problem...  (Read 5287 times)

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Werebear Problem...
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 06:23:01 PM »
In regard to the catch I was thinking what if you wanted to create a Rhino for example that chases a player through a zoo (its an example i would never do that to my players, although .....) a rhino doesn't have a catch really other than its a mortal creature, i want to use inhuman toughness to represent a tough hide and huge size, could i have a catch +0 mortal creature? so it has no supernatrual catch but it is mortal and will age die, can be druged poisened etc....

I am just not sure how big or particularly tough animals, and when I say animals I mean Bears, Rhinos, Elephants, etc etc which are mortal need to have a catch at all, it just seems weird in these cases... :-\.

For something like that, I would take a look at Hulking Size on YS164. I think it meshes up pretty well.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 07:39:10 PM »
Hulking Size does indeed fit...but for something like a Rhino or Kodiak bear, you probably want Inhuman Toughness on top of that.

Offline Valarian

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 08:12:22 PM »
How about a catch like "Distracted by Hunny" :)
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Offline The Codex

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 09:51:40 PM »
I did consider hulking size but thought it was way to much fo a bear ( it mentions being comparable to the size of a house???) any way I like the an idea inspired buy the previous comment could the stronger senses of an animal be overwelming if you were not used to having a 3 mile sense of smell or what ever and if so could sensual overload (+0) catch seem right ?

I actually think it feels like it works with in context of the books mythology to.

What you think?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 10:15:03 PM »
I did consider hulking size but thought it was way to much fo a bear ( it mentions being comparable to the size of a house???)

Read all of the context around that: "at the very largest, as tall as a house."

At the very largest. That means house-sized is an upper bound. Many creatures of Hulking Size are actually just much bigger than people can be, but not house-sized.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 10:16:17 PM »
I like the an idea inspired buy the previous comment could the stronger senses of an animal be overwelming if you were not used to having a 3 mile sense of smell or what ever and if so could sensual overload (+0) catch seem right ?

Help me understand this. You're saying that the bear loses its Armor and extra stress benefits of the Toughness ability whenever in the presence of things which are smelly?

Because remember: a Catch is only about the conditions that allow your toughness benefits to be ignored.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline The Codex

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 10:42:08 PM »
To put this in a Dresden styled phrase,

That sound better in my head ....

Ok so something smelly perhaps not, but my point still stands damn it

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 02:42:40 AM »
I have to ask this question.. did you get this idea from the hobbit?! because if you did i ahve to say thats pretty awsome.
and for a catch, i would go with what landothern said(i think i spelled that right) or go with somthimg pretty obvious, like a specfic part of your body, your achellies cord, shoot that you cant walk and bye bye powers, and just for funsies you could copper bullets. but thats all i can think of really. you have bamboozled me  ;) 
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline The Codex

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 07:49:54 AM »
Ok so to steal an idea from one of my other favourite authors (Terry Pratchet) and much like a Dragon from the Disc, could I have a +0 Catch Vunerable Spot, a place where the tough hide of said creature is less tough?

Offline void

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2010, 11:49:30 AM »
I'm tellin' ya, eyes. They're the windows to the soul, and to a nice, neat kill. :D