Author Topic: Werebear Problem...  (Read 5270 times)

Offline The Codex

• Participant
    • View Profile
Werebear Problem...
« on: April 10, 2010, 05:23:23 PM »
I want to have Inhuman Strength and Inhuman Toughness for a werebear character except that acording to the rules you must have a catch,

what sort of catch would you have for a werebear?

a silver etc does not "effect" wereforms?

any advice?

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
Re: Werebear Problem...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 05:54:11 PM »
Give him a Catch that doesn't give very many points. My advice would be Indirect Magic, like Harry's voodoo doll. TO damage you they have to hurt you fundamentally. You could also include magic that distrupts the magical construct that gives you a Bear shape(it is made of ectoplasm).

Since it is very hard to come by knowledge, you won't get much of a discount for it.

This could probably use a sidebar IMHO. 
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline thegrinner

• Lurker
  • Super corvus pennae ursa equitatus veho
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
You could go with one of the general werewolf catches and continue the inherited silver theme. Possibly some sort of plant, or bones from a 'real' bear. Fire might work as well. Maybe a specific processed material like a metal or polymer, in the 'not natural' sense?
"I stopped believing you a minute ago."
"I'm surprised you believed me at all."
"You started talking a minute ago."

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 06:32:54 PM »
Also, remember, you can always posit a +0 Catch as a bit of a shrug -- let the GM fill in the details (or whoever) down the line. A +0 catch says "there's a weakness here, but it's really rare and few know of it".  The idea of always needing to take a Catch is there in part to reinforce the thinking that there's always a chink in the armor -- because in the DFverse, there is.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Valarian

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 07:47:33 PM »
I've been thinking Werebear as well :)
You don't necessarily have to go with the supernatural powers. You get the skill rearrangement with the change. I've been considering just shifting Might, Endurance and Presence right up the skill tree for the beast form.
Google Groups for FGII Games:
European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
  • Total Refresh Cost: +2 (Pure Mortal)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 08:16:51 PM »
Your catch could be something like Armor doesn't apply to a certain spot (if you google "Where to shoot a bear" you can find a terrifying diagram).
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline KnightFerrous

• Participant
  • Goblin Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 09:13:31 PM »
Whatever affects ectoplasm badly. Because remember all that extra bear-y goodness you are growing into is ectoplasm from the never never. So if something could disrupt that then it is effectivly wounding the bear.
First ever Goblin Knight... so there

Joseph Smith
              HitWolf
Things found, Problems Solved
      No Birthday Parties

Offline The Codex

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 10:49:42 PM »
ummmm....

I am have just confused myself.

I am a werebear with Inhuman Toughness and due to my skill shuffle now has a Endurance of Great or Good from Average, meaning my character now has 3 additional stress boxes (all clear so far)

Then due to some reason, spell, compell etc I revert to a human form,

What happens to me? do I all of a sudden take consequences for the additional Stress boxes and any stress in them or do they just disappear?

What happens to the Stress, its Stressing me out  ???

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 11:49:37 PM »
ummmm....

I am have just confused myself.

I am a werebear with Inhuman Toughness and due to my skill shuffle now has a Endurance of Great or Good from Average, meaning my character now has 3 additional stress boxes (all clear so far)

Then due to some reason, spell, compel etc I revert to a human form,

What happens to me? do I all of a sudden take consequences for the additional Stress boxes and any stress in them or do they just disappear?
If you had your 5 box filled in and no longer have a 5 box, I would say you are taken out.  If the catch is really obscure it could never factor in.  However if you change back while stressed you would also pass out.  I wonder if maybe there should be a "No Catch [-1]" option.
If you have to ask, it probably breaks a Law of Magic.  You're just trying to get the Doom of Damocles.

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 12:14:38 AM »
If you had your 5 box filled in and no longer have a 5 box, I would say you are taken out.  If the catch is really obscure it could never factor in.  However if you change back while stressed you would also pass out.  I wonder if maybe there should be a "No Catch [-1]" option.

No, because then you could be immortal (basically) for -9 refresh.

Offline JosephKell

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 12:23:42 AM »
No, because then you could be immortal (basically) for -9 refresh.
And there it is.

Offline LCDarkwood

• Warden
  • Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 04:46:34 AM »
I'd probably rule that if you can take a consequence at that time, then you should, and if you can't, then you're taken out. The trauma of shifting back leaves you worse off.

Offline Wizard H

• Posty McPostington
  • A.K.A. Wizard H
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 07:25:47 AM »
I would go with silver, I figure silver works as a catch for pretty much any shifter.  I actually will be running a bear shifter in the Korean based game we're getting going here, but he's descended from an ancient Fae Bear of the Summer Court.  So his catch is iron.  Plus he's only getting Inhuman Strength and Inhuman Toughness in bear form, but will have Inhuman Recovery in both bear and human forms.
It's like Harry Potter got drunk and lost his virginity to the Ghostbusters.-Denarian XD
DV Wizard H V1.2 YR10 FR4 BK+++ RP++ JB++ TH++ WG+++ CL+++ SW+ BC++ MC++++ SH[Murphy+++++,Molly++,Lara+,Mab--,Maeve---] TT! MS++ MsD-- FF+++

Offline The Codex

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 09:03:21 AM »
So I was thinking about this again, and the taken out result seems to fit the most because the player has been 'forced' to change form to a human, an no design on his own fate  ;D...

In regard to the catch I was thinking what if you wanted to create a Rhino for example that chases a player through a zoo (its an example i would never do that to my players, although .....) a rhino doesn't have a catch really other than its a mortal creature, i want to use inhuman toughness to represent a tough hide and huge size, could i have a catch +0 mortal creature? so it has no supernatrual catch but it is mortal and will age die, can be druged poisened etc....

I am just not sure how big or particularly tough animals, and when I say animals I mean Bears, Rhinos, Elephants, etc etc which are mortal need to have a catch at all, it just seems weird in these cases... :-\.

Offline void

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 01:30:26 PM »
If all else fails, you can go, "The Catch [+0]: The eyes are unprotected." I mean, that's almost always true, isn't it? And hitting such a small target on a large creature isn't really that much help most of the time. :D