Author Topic: A Couple of Item Questions  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
A Couple of Item Questions
« on: April 12, 2010, 08:20:37 AM »
1. Sponsored Magic says it acts as an Element for Evocation. Does this mean you can take Focus item slots like this: Wand of Winter Ice (+2 Offensive Control for Unseelie Magic, +1 Offensive Power for Unseelie Magic)? If not, how do you determine what elements the Sponsored Magic user can use and take Focus Items for if they lack conventional Evocation?

2. How do you price a more comprehensive version of the True Seeing Ointment from p. 304? One that applies to seeing through all veils and illusions. Clearly it'd be more expensive...but how much more expensive? Prior to the rules shift in Enchanted Items I was going to go with halving it's level, but that feels wrong when nothing else does so. And how would it work if transferred from a potion to an enchanted item (a pair of spectacles or whatever)?

Offline LCDarkwood

• Warden
  • Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: A Couple of Item Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 08:28:55 AM »
1. I don't see why not. Looks kosher to me.

2. Rashid never gave Harry that ointment. I have no idea what you're referring to.

(Srsly, I'd just charge an extra shift per "category" of illusion. No reason to get too crazy with typing.)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 08:43:27 AM »
1. I don't see why not. Looks kosher to me.

Awesome, and, as usual, thanks for the quick response.  :)

That'll really make the Changeling's player in the game I'm prepping happy.

2. Rashid never gave Harry that ointment. I have no idea what you're referring to.

(Srsly, I'd just charge an extra shift per "category" of illusion. No reason to get too crazy with typing.)

If going for more-or-less universal applicability, about how many categories would you say there are? Clearly, from the potion's description, there are Outsiders, The Fae, and Mortal Magic. I'd assume there are several more, with the specific number not being a really a big deal, but a ballpark figure to give it truly universal applicability (like, say, 3 shifts worth? 4? More?) would be very nice, since most are going to want either one category, or universal usage.

It's hard to figure, as it's one of the few effects that kinda stands on it's own without a general ruleset to deal with it. It's not really a block after all, nor a counterspell, nor really divination, nor anything else I can think of.

Offline LCDarkwood

• Warden
  • Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 08:56:54 AM »
I dunno. Two or three at most? It's worded as, "faerie glamours, veils, and other illusions." The truth of the matter is, I'm not sure that you really need to differentiate unless you insist on doing so. You could just look as "faerie glamours" as being a separate thing in that list, and assume the other two are general.

So just the Lore strength works fine.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 09:01:39 AM »
Cool. I wouldn't have worried, but the specific potion entry really emphasizes the "only works on one narrow category" thing.

Offline LCDarkwood

• Warden
  • Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 09:04:26 AM »
Right, there's an interpretive dance to be done there. I could argue for both the strict and the loose interpretations.

[EDIT: If it were me, I'd reserve around three slots even if I didn't know what categories I was protecting against, so that I could declare them in play.]
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 09:19:49 AM by LCDarkwood »