Author Topic: Advancing from one template to another  (Read 1526 times)

Offline srl51676

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Advancing from one template to another
« on: April 09, 2010, 03:48:50 PM »
Ok not sure if this is addressed but I am trying to figure out how one creates a "Feet in the water" character that is intended to advance through play into a full wizard.  Can a focused practitioner buy Channeling up to Evocation and Ritual up to Thaumaturgy or would you have to have all 4 to ever be a wizard. The only way I can come up with is to start as a minor talent with say "The Sight" or "Soul Gaze" then buy Evocation etc. but that seems like a very drastic change to happen even for a major milestone. Am I missing something?
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur.
"The world wants to be deceived, so let it be deceived."

Offline The Codex

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Advancing from one template to another
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 03:55:04 PM »
I have just asked a similar question about people advancing from Pure Mortal to any Supernatrual Template....

I don't know if I can post a quote out of the PDF however there is a box on YS91 about redfining your character in down time that I think covers this...

Just trying to work out how this works mechanically for updating Characters

Hope this helps

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 03:59:28 PM »
Yes, Evocation replaces Channeling and Thaumaturgy replaces Ritual if that's your advancement path.  There's no point in keeping the cheaper versions that only do one thing when you pick up the ability that does the one thing in addition to a host of other things. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline srl51676

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 04:07:32 PM »
Ok thanks if this is not in the text it might be a good addition to a sidebar or margin comment.

Again I am staggered by your response time Iago
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur.
"The world wants to be deceived, so let it be deceived."

Offline ClarkValentine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 04:12:51 PM »
In the Advancement chapter, there is the suggestion of, essentially, "If a character undergoes a major, fundamental change, one option to consider is to nuke the character sheet from orbit and rebuild from scratch." This might be a bit radical, however. :)
- Clark Valentine

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 04:12:57 PM »
Ok thanks if this is not in the text it might be a good addition to a sidebar or margin comment.

There's a fat hunk of whitespace at the bottom of 181. I think I just found something to fill it.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/