Author Topic: Knights...... an awesome Idea but GM and Player struggling  (Read 2011 times)

Offline The Codex

• Participant
    • View Profile
Knights...... an awesome Idea but GM and Player struggling
« on: April 09, 2010, 09:59:16 AM »
Ok so one of my Players wants to play a Knight type character,

However he is a big fan of the books and does not want to touch on the Knights of the Cross (also a bit over powered for my, feet wet campaign based at Nottigham University, side not the Campus is so big and with so much stuff our city creation for the first season is all based on just the Uni.....)

Any way he went and did some research and we were thinking that he could be a trainie knights templar, however we were wondering what template to base his character off of, so he needs some faith related powers and also we were thinking Ritual for some of the Knights Religous Ritual (mainly Wards, but some other things as well) and possibly a Blessed Sword (this was an Idea of something he may get when he gets a full Knighthood think he may have an organisational level of squire to start with)

Any way would you use Focused Practionar for this Template, create a new template, and does this sort of cross over feel right?

Anyway thoughts would help as we are having an odd time trying to get this to work mechanically in a way that 'feels' right

Cheers

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Knights...... an awesome Idea but GM and Player struggling
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 10:12:05 AM »
Why not True Beliver +Item of Power?

Options: True believers may also have Righteousness [–2] (page 188), and a select few might even carry some holy relic, warranting a custom-designed Item of Power (page 167) agreed upon with the GM.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 10:16:08 AM »
Well, for a Feet Wet campaign you only have a limited amount of Refresh to work with, but I might do something like this:

Bless This House (-1)
Guide My Hand (-1)
Sword of the Temple (-3)

The Sword of the Temple grants Sponsored Magic: Soulfire (with the Item of Power drawback), and also counts as all the Item Slots this power grants (say, +1 Offensive Spirit Control, +1 Defensive Spirit Control, +1 Warding, and counts as a Warden's Sword as well). It can only be wielded by those with the True Believer template. Important skills for this combo: Conviction, Discipline, Weapons, Lore (which must be Good or higher for the above version to be technically allowed).

While the Sword costs the same as a Sword of the Cross, it feels completely different, mainly serving as a (very potent) mystical tool, as opposed to a weapon in and of itself. Though you can certainly use it as a weapon in emergencies...

It also fits the Knight Templar thematics. They were always associated as much with magic as faith and with potent relics as well. I like the idea the more I think of it, and may build a character for some game built around it...

Offline The Codex

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 10:36:16 AM »
Thats Brilliant  ;D

I had not thought of building the sword with the 'Ritual/Magic' power of the Templars into it........

That also plays really well into the character and feet wet campaign, so he will initally be playing just a True Believer Character Template but High Aspect "Squire of the Kinghts Templar" at an appropriate Milestone he ius going to change his High Concept to "Knight Templar" and cash in his Refresh Points for a Sword presented by the Inner Circle,

As a note we were inspired by the side notes in the Our World bit where Harry Rights " are there any good Cultists?"

It will also allow him to develope a bit and free up some stunts early on..... as a uni student with a destiny and link to a greater purpose....

Thanks Guys thats really helped  ;D

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 10:48:20 AM »
I must admit to getting the idea from my compatriots in the Dresden Files: Asia thread, one of whom has a character with an item bestowing Sponsored Magic, and I just modified the idea to the circumstances.

Still, I'm glad I could be of assistance.  :)

Offline The Codex

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 01:48:54 PM »
So hang on just trying to do the Maths here-

Item of Power: Templars Sword
  • One Time Discount +2 (very obvious high powered sword)
  • Channeling +2
  • Ritual +2
  • Soul Fire +1 (am I correct it adds a plus one to the above base)

Total -3

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 06:45:44 PM »
Item of Power: Templars Sword
  • One Time Discount +2 (very obvious high powered sword)
  • Sponsored Magic: Soul Fire -5
    • Evocation (included)
    • Thaumaturgie (included)
Total -3

[edit] Belmonte is right. Changed the cost.
@Codex The cost is the same, but you get (almost) full Evocation and Thaumaturgie

Sponsored magic is subject to the limitations of evocation and thaumaturgy, which it emulates (or supplements). In order to gain the benefits of sponsored magic, the spell you’re casting must align with the agenda of the sponsor (page 289) and fit into the theme and scope of the sponsor’s particular “flavor” of power

« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 07:07:58 PM by Korwin »

Offline Belmonte

• Conversationalist
  • O Dei! Lava quod est sordium!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 06:46:37 PM »
Soulfire's more expensive, so it'd actually be -5/-3, but yeah. :)
When you ship or slash, God kills a kitten.  You don't want God to kill a kitten, do you?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 09:04:09 PM »
What Korwin said. It gives Soulfire (see p. 292), nothing else.