Author Topic: An idea: more faerie knights?  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Carabas

• Participant
    • View Profile
An idea: more faerie knights?
« on: April 08, 2010, 11:09:32 PM »
Today I met with a player to create a new character for my DFRPG campaign.
The player pretty quickly settled on the Faerie Knight template. She wants to be the Summer Knight.

So far, I had decided that I will keep losely to the plot of the novels. Mainly the campaign will start during the hot phase of the vampire war, Archangel will fall, the wardens will be decimated, then there is a lull, and so on. Also, the three swords of the cross are accounted for. Any player character Champions of God will be Munich Monks without swords and just their fists. Consequently this would mean that the faerie knights are accounted for as well, but I like the faerie knights.

Then I came up with this idea: what if there are three knights for each court, one for each queen.
It is simply that Harry doesn't know about them, because there is only one of each operating in the States.

What do you think?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: An idea: more faerie knights?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 11:13:35 PM »
Or a Knight, a Champion, and a Herald or something like that. Each with a slightly different role.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline PapaBear

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 02:13:37 AM »
While this isn't THE Faerie Knights, you could also setup Faerie Nobles, each with their own House and Vassals... and of course, their own Knights.

Just my two yen.

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 02:15:57 AM »
I'd probably allow it, the book even suggests multi-Knights per court an option if I recall (along with the possibility of Autumn Knights or Spring Knights)
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline Belmonte

• Conversationalist
  • O Dei! Lava quod est sordium!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 02:46:14 AM »
Personally, I'd combine iago's options.

Have a 'Knight' for each Mother, and have each have different focuses.

Mab's Knight is focused on physical boosts mostly, he's a 'Knight'.  Old Mother Winter's would be the Winter Sage, and would be more focused on Winter magics and wouldn't get as much in boosts, but might default to Unseelie Sponsored Magic.  And Maeve's would be the Winter Squire, and... well, not sure what.  Maybe a spy, so some sort of glamour for veils?
When you ship or slash, God kills a kitten.  You don't want God to kill a kitten, do you?

Offline MacsNewBrew

• Conversationalist
  • Lurking faithfully since 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 04:24:09 AM »
And also remember the Erlking. He's on par(ish) with Mab....maybe he needs a new mortal hunt-master
another one of those discussions about Heaven and God and the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 04:27:13 AM »
And the Erlking's existence implies that of other, similar, Fae who might also have their own champions of one sort or another.

Offline MacsNewBrew

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 04:30:00 AM »
And the Erlking's existence implies that of other, similar, Fae who might also have their own champions of one sort or another.

Exactly! Maybe Santa Claus needs someone to "take care of" the Naughty!

(OK, I am one REALLY disturbed individual.)
another one of those discussions about Heaven and God and the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 04:39:08 AM »
Exactly! Maybe Santa Claus needs someone to "take care of" the Naughty!

(OK, I am one REALLY disturbed individual.)

Look up the Krampus or Black Peter. They're more actual Fae than mortal champions, but the idea of someone "taking care of" the naughty is part of the real mythology.

Offline MacsNewBrew

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 04:44:26 AM »
 ;D I forgot about Black Pete! Thank you!

BTW, 2nd favorite Carlos quote as your avatar... #1 is "Ow. Ow. OW! It hurts to be this good!"

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 04:49:43 AM »
You're welcome.

And yeah, I love Carlos quotes in general, actually. Who else would the RPG give the Aspect "I Make This Ego Look Good"?  :)

Offline Carabas

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2010, 08:26:31 AM »
Or a Knight, a Champion, and a Herald or something like that. Each with a slightly different role.

I like that idea. Champion, Knight and Squire would be a good way to go, I think.

Offline horvagab

• Conversationalist
  • "Witty popular culture remark" /Harry Dresden/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 10:36:47 AM »
I was thinking of maybe doing Winter and Summer Squires, who instead of being a human representative of the courts, would be the commandos/spies of them. They would be recruited for their talent in deceit and lying, something Fae are incapable of. Instead of S/Uns magic, they would get glamours as basic stuff.