Author Topic: Spellcasting and Stress  (Read 4152 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Spellcasting and Stress
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 05:53:34 PM »
Question: The mental armor 1 provided by the Conviction stunt Tower of faith would reduce spellcasting stress wouldn't it?  and we know from the books that one can have faith in magic, so as long as you did the equivalent of praying (probably a quick meditation or an extended drawing up of power) you could cast the easy stuff basically at will.
That is not its intent and is not a method I'd allow. Tower of Faith is meant to be as a defense against mental intrusion, not self-inflicted stress.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline LCDarkwood

• Warden
  • Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Spellcasting and Stress
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 06:07:40 PM »
Question: The mental armor 1 provided by the Conviction stunt Tower of faith would reduce spellcasting stress wouldn't it?  and we know from the books that one can have faith in magic, so as long as you did the equivalent of praying (probably a quick meditation or an extended drawing up of power) you could cast the easy stuff basically at will.

Ha, cute! Given that the context of the passage says, "Strongly held beliefs enable you to protect your mind from the aggression of others," I'm assuming it wouldn't count for anything self-inflicted. The passage in Evo says the absolute minimum is 1 stress. No exceptions are offered. (Except sponsorship, like I said.)

-L