Author Topic: Does Sponsored Magic Grant Item Slots?  (Read 2723 times)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Does Sponsored Magic Grant Item Slots?
« on: April 04, 2010, 10:23:33 PM »
Well, does it? And if so, how are they used in Evocation, since Sponsored Magic is kind of nebulous in what Elements it provides?

I'm obviously referring to Sponsored Magic on it's own sans normal Evocation or Thaumaturgy for backup. The book never clearly states one way or the other, on the one hand, it never says it does, on the other it refers to Sponsored Magic as a variation on Channeling and Ritual, which do grant them.

The only character in Our World I've found with Sponsored Magic is Fix, and he doesn't have any listed, bt that may just be because we've never seen him use any in the books.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Does Sponsored Magic Grant Item Slots?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 01:29:25 AM »
Hm, sorry about the nebulousness. I'd say yes, but I'm saying that while I'm running from point A to point Z and without referencing the text. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 02:16:52 AM »
Hm, sorry about the nebulousness. I'd say yes, but I'm saying that while I'm running from point A to point Z and without referencing the text. :)

Thanks a bunch, I'll go with that.  :) If you could deliver a more thorough answer once you're not quite so busy, that'd be spectacular.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 02:24:07 AM »
Thanks a bunch, I'll go with that.  :) If you could deliver a more thorough answer once you're not quite so busy, that'd be spectacular.
I'll see if we can get some marginalia stuck in there that addresses the concern.

But basically: if you're doing it as a completely stand-alone thing, you should get item slots similar to what channeling and ritual combined get (4 focus item slots total, which can be broken down).  If you're doing it as an "upgrade" (i.e., you've got Evo and Thau already) you would not get that slot benefit (no add'l item slots; you've already got 'em from the base abilities).  If you only have one of Evo or Thau, taking Sponsored Magic on top of that (at only a -1 cost break) would get you a single dollop of benefit (2 focus item slots in addition to the ones you already have from either Evo or Thau).
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 02:49:56 AM »
Awesome, that's more or less what I figured. And thanks again for actually answering, that's always been one of the coolest things about you folks at Evil Hat, the actual responding to customers.

And some marginalia is probably a good call, I ran into the problem completely accidentally and looked everywhere for a solution before posting.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 06:47:39 PM »
I've taken care of this. The post-it below Sponsored Magic on YS183 has been moved to the marginalia, and I used the available space to make the clarification.
Fred Hicks

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 07:59:46 PM »
I'll see if we can get some marginalia stuck in there that addresses the concern.

But basically: if you're doing it as a completely stand-alone thing, you should get item slots similar to what channeling and ritual combined get (4 focus item slots total, which can be broken down).  If you're doing it as an "upgrade" (i.e., you've got Evo and Thau already) you would not get that slot benefit (no add'l item slots; you've already got 'em from the base abilities).  If you only have one of Evo or Thau, taking Sponsored Magic on top of that (at only a -1 cost break) would get you a single dollop of benefit (2 focus item slots in addition to the ones you already have from either Evo or Thau).

Follow up: And only Evo and Thau get Specializations, right? (And can use Refinement to get bonuses).
Or the other way around: Channeling and Ritual and Sponsored Magic dont get Specilizations as features and they cant buy those with Refinement.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 08:03:13 PM »
Follow up: And only Evo and Thau get Specializations, right? (And can use Refinement to get bonuses).
Or the other way around: Channeling and Ritual and Sponsored Magic dont get Specilizations as features and they cant buy those with Refinement.

Correct. Channeling and Ritual have no further specializing to do; they are innately as they are, already focused.

Evo and Thau have many broad applications, therefore, the ability to specialize.
Fred Hicks