Author Topic: Las Vegas?  (Read 1715 times)

Offline vonpenguin

• Participant
    • View Profile
Las Vegas?
« on: April 06, 2010, 01:02:33 AM »
So I just finished reading "Your Story" and at one point during it Bob mentions that the barrier between the Nevernever and our world is thin in Las Vegas. I was wondering what the possible reasons for that would be? Is it because it's a tourist town? Because it's "Sin City"? It just sounds good? I ask because if I run a game it's going to be set in NJ and with Atlantic City as a possible location I'd like to know if this is an avenue worth pursuing. (I know my game, my rules but I like reasoning to be internally consistant.)

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
Re: Las Vegas?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 01:21:22 AM »
If I had to make an educated guess, I would say it was the fantasy attitude of Vegas. "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" that shouts "Demenses".

I think the easier explanation to me is that I heard at least one playtest city was Vegas, so it could just be a shout out/holdover from that. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the other Playtest cities like Winnipeg got similar shout outs in the final release.

I could be way off though. In which case, I am surprised the designers didn't think of that....
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline blackheart

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 01:35:32 PM »
Maybe there's a reason Bugsy Segal saw something in that patch of desert that no one else saw when he dreamt of Vegas.
Maybe he was a sensitive and felt a ley line, or even a convergence of ley lines at that spot.

Or even, something made him feel something.
"How do you carjack a Death Star?"
Gina Diggers, Gold Digger #99

Offline LCDarkwood

• Warden
  • Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 10:29:26 PM »
I think the easier explanation to me is that I heard at least one playtest city was Vegas, so it could just be a shout out/holdover from that.

Vegas was actually playtested twice, I think.

I live there, so for my internal playtest it seemed the only logical choice.

I can give no certainties, but make of that what you will. :)

-Lenny