Author Topic: Advice for the Newbie  (Read 18497 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Advice for the Newbie
« on: January 22, 2007, 09:26:44 PM »
I'm sure this has already been asked and answered a dozen times, but this is my first time on this Darkest Hours board, so I apologize in advance.  I've only seen the movies--I've never read any of the Spider-Man comics--and I was wondering if this story would be accessible to someone like me with little knowledge of the Spideyverse.  Any thoughts?

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for the Newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 09:41:32 PM »
Yes. I haven't read Spiderman comics since the Maximum Carnage storyline in the early 90's. The book deals with story lines that had been covered after I stopped reading, but it give you all the history you need to keep up during the book. Some major points that would be worth knowing beofre reading this are as follows:

Peter and MJ are married, and MJ knows Peter is Spidey.
It would be helpful (but not necessary) to know some background on the Rhino one of Spidey's frequent foes.

Everything else is told you through the story, and it's enjoyable even if you are not up to date on Spidey lore.
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline ShadowInTheDarkness

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 03:56:17 AM »
I agree. I've never read one Spider Man comic. Saw the movies. The book was still awsome. Jim does a great job explaining what's going on.
There are some refrences to previous events that must have happened in the comics, but it's really easy to stay up to date with whats happening.
Read on.
"Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night" - Edgar Allan Poe
“There is a limit to the sky, but music can be formed and reformed forever without repetition. Music is infinite.” - xjustxn0thingx (livejournal)

Offline Mage

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 01:38:14 PM »
I read this with pretty minimal knowledge of the spidey world, i think its a great read for a real spiderman fan or someone relatively new to the property

Offline Ellie Mae

• Participant
  • You know where to find me
    • View Profile
    • Empire of the Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 05:27:53 PM »
Yeah I don't think you would have any problems at all, it's a great book :)

You're a Wizard Harry!

~ Books ~ Writing ~ Art ~

Offline arcpolbear

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 08:57:53 PM »
While I am not an avid reader of the spider-man comics, I do pick through to find what catches my interest. The Morlun portions in the Amazing Spider-Man really interested me, and provided a very good background to why Morlun and anything vaguely like him is so terrifying.

There was one portion that confused me due to having not read the comics concerning
(click to show/hide)

There is also an arc of 12 comics that crosses back and forth between Friendly Neighborhood, Marvel Knights, and Amazing Spider-Man that includes Morlun and gives a wonderful psychological view of Peter.
Why have "Or" when you can have "And"?

Offline Magus Dresdenarus

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 08:12:19 AM »
The reason Jim is an ideal writer for Spider-Man is that Harry and Spidey are so similar.  In fact, Harry is snarky in the exact same way Spider-Man is in the comics.  In one of the Dresden books, Harry even makes mention that he is a follower of "the Tao of Peter Parker."
Cartoonus Supersonicus: Common North American Road Runner (Beep-Beep)

Magus Dresdenarus: Common North American Working-Class Wizard (Toot-toot)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 01:25:51 PM »
Finally got to read it (mmm, New York Public Library), and it was fabulous!  Wow, the movies really give no indication of how smartassed comic!Peter can be, even while getting the snot kicked out of him.  I see where Harry gets it now! :D

Thanks, guys, for reassuring me that I wouldn't be totally lost in this first excursion to the Spidey comicverse, and thanks, Jim, for such a great story!

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2007, 02:22:49 PM »
Being a total geekess, here are some recomendations ( most of wich you can find as collections)

the death of gwen stacy by gerry conway

the murder of jean dewolf by peter david

heck, annything early by peter david ( the movies were based on his stuff)

the original hobgoblin stories by various ( spideys best villian, ever)

the end of kraven the hunter ( peter david, I think)

enjoy !
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Spectacular Sameth

• Posty McPostington
  • At least 20% cooler in 10 seconds flat.
    • View Profile
    • Dragon City
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2007, 10:13:16 PM »
I'm a pretty big fan of Spider-man and I really liked the comic. I thought he portrayed Spider-man very well. If he has some free time, he should write for the series, because...DAMN!

Offline Dresden

• Conversationalist
  • If reading books was a drug I would be in trouble
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 06:14:59 AM »
I've only ever seen the movies but my favourite villian has to be Venom they should have concentrated on him more in Spider-Man 3 then the Sandman.

I haven't read The Darkest Hour yet but I'm ordering it next week and can't wait to read it.
What is it with bad girls? They lie, cheat, won't suck your blood even when you beg them to.  But for some reason, no matter how badly they treat us we still can't walk away.   ~Harry

Offline Valiar Marcus

• Conversationalist
  • Don't mess with my man Harry, dig?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2007, 04:21:22 PM »
The reason Jim is an ideal writer for Spider-Man is that Harry and Spidey are so similar.  In fact, Harry is snarky in the exact same way Spider-Man is in the comics.  In one of the Dresden books, Harry even makes mention that he is a follower of "the Tao of Peter Parker."

OMG, a dead thread!  We've gotta save it!  Gimme 50 cc's of adrenaline, stat!  OK, gimme those paddles... CLEAR!!!!  *bzzzt* 

OK, we've got a pulse.  Whew, that was close. :)

Ahem.  Yes, Harry and Spidey are similar.  Jim has mentioned several times that he grew up as a big Spidey fan, so the homage Harry pays to Peter Parker is not at all surprising.  It also explains why Jim jumped at the chance to write this novel, when really he was far too busy to do it.
Chad Mitchell

"Doctors can always bury their mistakes. Architects can only advise their client to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline KillerMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 08:35:59 AM »
I'm going to try and revive it now.  I ordered this from Amazon but it haven't received it yet :( but can't wait to read it.  I watched the Spiderman animated series on Fox years ago and loved Spidey's quips.  The movies definitely dumb down his cockiness (especially that singing/dancing scene).  I never was into comics but the Dresden comic series dragged me in and I have some Spiderman, X-Men, and Batman graphic novels/comics on the way.  It would be nice to see Jim write for Marvel for at least a series b/c his writing style would fit perfectly for a Spiderman comic.

Still can't believe no one has posted since last December.