Author Topic: Harry's Stats plus Assorted Other Stat Revisions (Small Favor through Cold Days)  (Read 176526 times)

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
just a quick queston deadman. How would you stat up sponsored magic outsider? i have some house rules for it but i'm not really sure they work that well. I was sorta doing it as an evil version of soulfire, but i'm not too sure that would work. I have it statted up as this. Could you tell me what you think?

Sponsored Magic: Outsider [-5]
You can draw forth power from the darkest beings, those that lie beyond the outer gates. Massively powerful but nigh impossible not to be corrupted by it.
Cost: is 5 because it's alot more versitle and slightly stronger over all like soulfire.
Benefits: Standard Sponsored benefits, with a likely very violent and dark agenda. Gives a +2 power or complexity (Stronger but not easily controled) to any attempt to break one of the laws of magic. Can use any thaumaturgy that would break one of the laws of magic at the speed of evocation.

Thats my idea for it so far. I could see the +2 to power or complexity becoming a +1 but i dont think it would cost -5 anymore and i think this should be really evilish. I think the bonus to breaking the laws fits because dresden always talks about how it corrupts quickly and i think that's the best way to show a quick and powerful corruption.
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
We really don't know enough about it to speculate what it's actually like. The book reccomends just using Hellfire with the serial numbers filed off, and that's what I'm doing.

That said, your version works fine mechanically, and the only change I would make is dropping the bonus to +1 and, in exchange, giving it the same ability as Soulfire to reduce Toughness abilities by one level. That seems very 'corrosive to the fabric of existence' and thus very appropriate.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
okay. many thanks deadman ;D . Also another question if i may. I prefer to think of soulfire as, well patronless basically. I prefer to think of it as you're given the power and then you use your own abilities to power it. If i did something like that how would you stat it? just using enough of it to take consequences, like in small favor when he busted up namshiel, he would have poured alot more power into that spell and thus he would have taken a consequence relating to the inability to use his hand? Would it be something like that?
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Well, yeah. Specifically, he took a Moderate or Severe Physical Consequence to help power a spell.

But I'd still consider it Sponsored Magic. You've got to bear in mind that Sponsored Magic doesn't need to come from an individual, or even a sentient being. Look at Ley Line based Sponsored Magic. That's what I see Soulfire as. It empowers you, and once you are so empowered, nobody can take it away...but the magic still has an agenda of it's own that it will incline you to pursue.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
hmm... yes i suppose i can see that. so soulfire has a holy agenda? ... hmm i was thinking it had a more "be true to who you are" agenda for each person that uses it. Well regardless I roll my rapport as a manuever to place the aspect on deadman "Thanks For The Help!"  ;D

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I'd say exactly what Soulfire's agenda is should be a matter for individual GMs to determine for themselves. I'm not sure we have enough information from the books to say anything definitive yet.

And you're very welcome, I'm always happy to help.  :)

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
And I've just gone through every Senior Council Member, as well as Luccio, and given them an extra level of Refinement wrapped up in a Defensive Item. Those are just too useful for them not to have. This has raised all of their Refresh costs by 1.

Tbora

Could you do Kemmler?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Kemmler took on the entire Council. Not the Wardens, the hole Council, and fought them to a standstill. He's stat-less on a profound level.

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
I've wondered about Cowl and how he would stack up against The Merlin. What are your thoughts there given the info we have on both?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
The Merlin would destroy him utterly. He's the most powerful and experienced Wizard on Earth. Cowl is good, and powerful, but he's not that good.  :)

In game terms he could maybe pull it off, but only by going into HEAVY Sponsor Debt.

Tbora

How would a fight between Kemmler and the Merlin (alone) go if both had a day to prepare for the fight.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
More or less the same way, really. Though the Merlin's advantage increases somewhat. They're both Wizards and thus much more dangerous with prep time, but the Merlin is more so, sorta by definition.

Tbora

So the Merlin would crush Kemmler?

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Oh, sorry, my bad. I was still thinking of Cowl and misread. Kemmler would completely destroy the Merlin. He's gone up against the Council as a whole, never mind just it's most powerful member.