Author Topic: Preorderers: First Impressions?  (Read 9706 times)

Offline Carabas

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Preorderers: First Impressions?
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2010, 10:49:59 PM »
Some 3-4 years ago, when I was browsing the web for FATE stuff, I found the Dresden Files site.
I was a bit excited by this, because I love FATE and urban fantasy.

When I read in January that the RPG would be published in June 2010, I started reading the novels. I finished all 11 of them in 6 weeks. At first, I was reading 3 a week, and slowed down later on to one novel a week. First this was intended to be a "research excercise" for playing the game, but the novels are page-turners.

Now, I finally have the PDF on my computer and my iPhone. I keep switching between the two devices to just keep on reading at every opportunity. I've read a lot of RPG rulebooks since 1987. I am deeply impressed by the quality of the writing. It is a joy to read and not a chore, like so many other rulebooks.

DFRPG did two things: finally get into the Dresdenverse, and introduce me to an elegantly written, well thought-out game system.

Great job!

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010, 04:11:26 AM »
Um off-topic. How did you get it on your iPhone?

Offline Ihadris

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2010, 11:33:31 AM »
Um off-topic. How did you get it on your iPhone?

Question seconded! I tried the usual of emailing it to myself like i did with Spirit but the file is too big..

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 11:46:20 AM »
You can use applications like Good Reader (.99) and a wireless network to move .pdf files onto your iPhone or iPod touch (yay for reading at work!).  The .pdf scales perfectly with this application so other than having to move it around more due to screen size limitations, it's just like reading it on your computer.

Offline Carabas

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 11:56:32 AM »
You can use applications like Good Reader (.99) and a wireless network to move .pdf files onto your iPhone or iPod touch (yay for reading at work!).  The .pdf scales perfectly with this application so other than having to move it around more due to screen size limitations, it's just like reading it on your computer.

Exactly like SoulCatcher says. I use GoodReader for this. There is also a free version that you can try out before buying.
But I am very happy with GoodReader. I even consider not do a print-out of the book(s) because of this.

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2010, 01:02:10 PM »
But you need an WiFi connection?
Is it possible with the cable?

Offline Carabas

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2010, 01:49:45 PM »
I don't think it is possible just using the cable, but there are plenty of other options (like google docs or dropbox).

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2010, 06:27:36 PM »
as i said on the DFRPG's homepage, the PDFs are awesome.

i played a lot of games (since the 1980s) but there was never a FATE game, but the rules are very easy and logical, i really love the aspect system.

the presentation is great, what you have done with the backstories, the comments between harry, bob and billy - just great.

can't wait to begin playing...

Offline Belmonte

• Conversationalist
  • O Dei! Lava quod est sordium!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2010, 07:28:53 PM »
Anyone notice the reference to (Changes Spoiler:
(click to show/hide)
) under one of the blacked-out parts.  As I'd just read Changes, I laughed to see that there.  Nice nod. :)
When you ship or slash, God kills a kitten.  You don't want God to kill a kitten, do you?

Offline Vulcanisik

• Conversationalist
  • Everything burns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2010, 07:32:28 PM »
I can't say much for the Changes spoilers but some of the things I've read in the margins have me cocking my head a little.

I just sent out a company wide email to get people interested in starting a campaign! I really don't want to GM, but I have very little choice. Besides, I think it will be more fun to create a world with 4-5 other people, instead of trying to make the whole damn thing myself.
Introduce a little anarchy. Upset the established order, and everything becomes chaos. I'm an agent of chaos. Oh, and you know the thing about chaos? It's fair.

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2010, 07:33:17 PM »
So now that I know there is something unter that blacked out text, I have to look whats there...  :o
Thanks  ::)

Offline kustenjaeger

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2010, 10:08:08 PM »
Greetings

My copy of the pdfs arrived from Leisure Games today on a CD.  Excellent service and excellent content. 
I've read the first couple of chapters so far and am very impressed as mch by the style as by the content.

The two books will probably rank as my most expensive single RPG purchase but I am well content on the evidence of the pdfs.

Regards

Edward

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2010, 11:10:40 PM »
I was surprised to see my CD arrive from Leisure Games today - uh, yesterday - too.  Only two days after ordering it!  Great service!

I've had a glance and it looks lurvely so far!
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline Ink Slinger

• Posty McPostington
  • Angst Muffin~plot bunny breeder
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2010, 11:13:43 PM »
We're gonna give character creation with DV virgins, who are also new to giving their characters a background and some kind of initial relationship to the others, a go tomorrow night.

Of the 8 of us 4 have read the books, 2 of us(who've read the books) have backgrounds already working for our characters and a total of 3 of us know what we want to play. 

We'll let you know how it goes.  We're all excited.  And pretty sure we'll be adding Vol 2 to our order...

Offline Cripple X

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2010, 06:54:56 PM »
Amazing.  I'm not quite done with both books yet, but from what I've read so far, phenomenal. Worth every penny.