Author Topic: Questions Specifically for Jim, Part 3  (Read 135272 times)

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Questions Specifically for Jim, Part 3
« Reply #150 on: May 15, 2010, 08:37:26 PM »
Thanks, I'd seen that, I was hoping for more specifics, but they will come when they do. Appreciate the reply.
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 16, 2010, 12:14:43 PM »
Good reading, this, and the source is fairly reliable  :D

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,5955.msg160950.html#msg160950

Except he's changed his mind since then. Currently, the space opera is on indefinite hold (just like its protagonist :D ). As of right now, Jim's done his extra short stories and is starting up with Ghost Story. There are rumblings of a fantasy project with Cam Banks, but those are unofficial (so says Cam, anyway ;D ). The EPIC epic fantasy is also in a holding pattern. Mostly, Jim's finally able to relax a little bit - the writing and publishing schedule of the past several years has been a real bear on him and his fam, and I'd be willing to bet they're all appreciating the lowered demands on his time for the moment. :)
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline LogicMouseLives

• Posty McPostington
  • Hop on the logic train!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 16, 2010, 06:19:39 PM »
In AAAA Wizardry from the Our World. What anime wall scroll was hanging from the room with the three girls with big eyes in it?
Or is it one of the more recent Italian renditions of anime similar to W.I.T.C.H.?
Curious anime fan has checked in!

Not absolutely positive, but my strong guess is the PowerPuff Girls.

(At least, that would show excellent taste on Jim's part.  ;D

LML
GENERATION 25: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

DV LogicMouseLives v1.1 YR4.5FR4 BK++++ JB+ TH(+++) WG CL BC- SH [Murphy+++ Molly--] RP++ MC----FF++++

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 17, 2010, 01:31:52 AM »
In Dead Beat, Bob says that Kemmler was put down for the last time in 1961.

It so happens that on October 30th, 1961 (Halloween Eve), the Russians supposedly exploded the "Tsar Bomb", the largest man-made explosion ever, somewhere in the Arctic Circle.

Is this:

1.  A coincidence

2.  Exploded by the Russians as attempt by the mortal authorities to cover up the destruction caused by the supernatural energies involved in taking Kemmler down.

3.  Actually the result of Kemmler's Death Curse?

DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Darkarma

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 17, 2010, 06:14:49 PM »
Not absolutely positive, but my strong guess is the PowerPuff Girls.

(At least, that would show excellent taste on Jim's part.  ;D

LML

Hadn't even considered that and I just was reading a Bleedman Doujinshi of the same. But that does sound like a good thought on Harry's GM *Snickers*

Offline Guardianw007

• Lurker
  • Gave up proof reading for Lent. In 1989.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 27, 2010, 12:07:48 AM »
So, having decided to de-lurk, and having lurked here enough, I know that (given the high number of "first ever posts" in this thread) it is positively an unwritten rule one must post here first. :)  Thus, I begin:

Do Harry's force rings take away kinetic energy when it is transferred (Thus, when Harry punches something, slightly less force is transferred into the object), or does it work by taking a small portion of the kinetic energy from his arm and storing it in the ring (Thus Harry reaching to make a last second catch has to fight his own rings which will slow his reaction).  I'm assuming the DV doesn't take the position that Isaac Newton was a punk Re: conservation of energy.  Thanks.

Now to go play in the other threads.
Aslan is not a tame lion.

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 27, 2010, 04:18:54 PM »
Except he's changed his mind since then. Currently, the space opera is on indefinite hold (just like its protagonist :D ). As of right now, Jim's done his extra short stories and is starting up with Ghost Story. There are rumblings of a fantasy project with Cam Banks, but those are unofficial (so says Cam, anyway ;D ). The EPIC epic fantasy is also in a holding pattern. Mostly, Jim's finally able to relax a little bit - the writing and publishing schedule of the past several years has been a real bear on him and his fam, and I'd be willing to bet they're all appreciating the lowered demands on his time for the moment. :)

This is way late, but thanks for the info!  ;)
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!

Offline Thanatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 29, 2010, 07:34:00 AM »
I've been editing / proofing 'for fun' since I started reading...
I tend to be a natural at it. I mean, I still make typos myself, but your/you're, sense/since, quiet/quite and the like tend to jump out at me and disturb the flow of what I'm reading. Netspeak crap like your/ur is very annoying. As you can imagine, reading message boards or practically anything else online tends to set off that peeve on a near-constant basis. I try to control it, but I always have the urge to say something about it. Do you get that urge too? If so, how do you turn it off?

Ok, a question for Jim. What happened to all of the Red Court infected? Was their connection strong enough to kill them? Were they cured? Did they remain as they were, meaning the next time one loses control and kills, the Red Court is reborn?

Also, as I understood it, the bloodline curse would travel up the generations, killing all direct ancestors. If Maggie had been killed, it would have taken Harry's and Susan's parents, grandparents, great-grandparents and so on. If it could jump over to siblings as well, Thomas would be in danger, who would have passed it up to the White King. Possibly Lara and the other Raith sisters could have died as well, if the curse could spread to the other siblings of a half-sibling. Suffice it to say, many would die. The trouble comes in if the curse is also able to trace it's way down bloodlines. It seems to have done that in the Red Court. Susan was sired by Bianca, sired by Ortega, sired by Arianna, sired by the Red King. Any other childe (please excuse my use of V:tM terms) of Bianca, Ortega, Arianna, or the King would die. So that takes out the first and second generation vamps, but descendants of 2nd generation vamps other than Arianna would not be in direct ancestry or the siblings of someone that was.

Red King - Arianna - Ortega - Bianca - Susan
|________N2 - G3N2 - etc.
 \________N3 - G3N3 - etc.

While nobles N2 and N3 (on through Nx) would die because they were siblings to Arianna, the 3rd generation vamps of their lines are only cousins to Ortega, not siblings. Since those vamps did die, that means the curse traveled back down bloodlines from anyone it targeted, as well as up them.

The trouble with that is, if Maggie had been killed, the entire human race, and possibly all life on the planet could have died with her. Either this curse was only theoretical until now, or it can't travel up and then back down other branches, and there are still Red Court vamps around, just with no central authority.

I suppose that another possibility is that the curse's ability to trace back down lines of ancestry stops at any point that the direct ancestors are already dead. Then it would seem that Thomas was safe, because Margaret was already dead. Any other children of Ebenezer would die, but unless his mother or father were still alive, any siblings or cousins of his would be safe. However, the fact that the Red King was still around meant that every vampire of his court would die, as the curse traveled up to him and then back down every branch coming from him.

Hmm, that was much longer and more difficult to explain than I'd expected. Perhaps I can mock up a better family tree illustration if necessary.

Offline Wizard H

• Posty McPostington
  • A.K.A. Wizard H
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 29, 2010, 08:06:03 AM »
I tend to be a natural at it. I mean, I still make typos myself, but your/you're, sense/since, quiet/quite and the like tend to jump out at me and disturb the flow of what I'm reading. Netspeak crap like your/ur is very annoying. As you can imagine, reading message boards or practically anything else online tends to set off that peeve on a near-constant basis. I try to control it, but I always have the urge to say something about it. Do you get that urge too? If so, how do you turn it off?

Ok, a question for Jim. What happened to all of the Red Court infected? Was their connection strong enough to kill them? Were they cured? Did they remain as they were, meaning the next time one loses control and kills, the Red Court is reborn?

Also, as I understood it, the bloodline curse would travel up the generations, killing all direct ancestors. If Maggie had been killed, it would have taken Harry's and Susan's parents, grandparents, great-grandparents and so on. If it could jump over to siblings as well, Thomas would be in danger, who would have passed it up to the White King. Possibly Lara and the other Raith sisters could have died as well, if the curse could spread to the other siblings of a half-sibling. Suffice it to say, many would die. The trouble comes in if the curse is also able to trace it's way down bloodlines. It seems to have done that in the Red Court. Susan was sired by Bianca, sired by Ortega, sired by Arianna, sired by the Red King. Any other childe (please excuse my use of V:tM terms) of Bianca, Ortega, Arianna, or the King would die. So that takes out the first and second generation vamps, but descendants of 2nd generation vamps other than Arianna would not be in direct ancestry or the siblings of someone that was.

Red King - Arianna - Ortega - Bianca - Susan
|________N2 - G3N2 - etc.
 \________N3 - G3N3 - etc.

While nobles N2 and N3 (on through Nx) would die because they were siblings to Arianna, the 3rd generation vamps of their lines are only cousins to Ortega, not siblings. Since those vamps did die, that means the curse traveled back down bloodlines from anyone it targeted, as well as up them.

The trouble with that is, if Maggie had been killed, the entire human race, and possibly all life on the planet could have died with her. Either this curse was only theoretical until now, or it can't travel up and then back down other branches, and there are still Red Court vamps around, just with no central authority.

I suppose that another possibility is that the curse's ability to trace back down lines of ancestry stops at any point that the direct ancestors are already dead. Then it would seem that Thomas was safe, because Margaret was already dead. Any other children of Ebenezer would die, but unless his mother or father were still alive, any siblings or cousins of his would be safe. However, the fact that the Red King was still around meant that every vampire of his court would die, as the curse traveled up to him and then back down every branch coming from him.

Hmm, that was much longer and more difficult to explain than I'd expected. Perhaps I can mock up a better family tree illustration if necessary.
I think the cycle o' death went more like

Susan dies, then all the vamps of her generation, her 'siblings'.  Then it goes to her 'parent' Bianca and all of Bianca's 'siblings' as well wiping out that generation.  Then Bianca's sire and his siblings, so on and so on, wiping out whole generations as it climbs upwards along the tree.    
It's like Harry Potter got drunk and lost his virginity to the Ghostbusters.-Denarian XD
DV Wizard H V1.2 YR10 FR4 BK+++ RP++ JB++ TH++ WG+++ CL+++ SW+ BC++ MC++++ SH[Murphy+++++,Molly++,Lara+,Mab--,Maeve---] TT! MS++ MsD-- FF+++

Offline Thanatos

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 29, 2010, 08:55:16 AM »
I think the cycle o' death went more like

Susan dies, then all the vamps of her generation, her 'siblings'.  Then it goes to her 'parent' Bianca and all of Bianca's 'siblings' as well wiping out that generation.  Then Bianca's sire and his siblings, so on and so on, wiping out whole generations as it climbs upwards along the tree.    
Only other vamps made by Bianca would be Susan's siblings. The rest would be cousins.

Killing Susan (5th Gen) would have killed Bianca (4th Gen), had she been alive (showing that the curse can continue up the chain even if a link is missing).

All other 5th Gen vamps made by Bianca would die, since those are Susan's siblings.

Other 4th Gen vamps made by Ortega die for being Bianca's siblings. Let's call one Jose. While he dies as Bianca's sibling, any vamps made by Jose are Susan's cousins.

Other 3rd Gen vamps made by Arianna are Ortega's siblings, so they die. Call one of them Aurum. While Aurum dies, his vampiric children and grandchildren of the 4th and 5th generations are some kind of cousin to Bianca or Susan.

Other 2nd Gen vamps made by the King include all the nobles that are siblings to Arianna. The 3rd, 4th, and 5th generations coming from those other nobles are some kind of cousin to Ortega, Bianca, and Susan.

The King dies.

Now, if cousins are killed as well as siblings, that would have destroyed the whole human race if Maggie had been killed. The Reds don't care about humanity, but they'd get awful thirsty if we all died. For that matter, all other living things are cousins to humanity if you trace it back far enough (unless in the Dresdenverse, the Genesis story of each species being created separately is literal truth).

Offline Murphy Fan

• Participant
  • Bay Area
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 29, 2010, 02:58:44 PM »
I love the PowerPuff Girls. Bubbles is my fav

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 29, 2010, 07:06:49 PM »
Also, as I understood it, the bloodline curse would travel up the generations, killing all direct ancestors

What we are told and what we are shown are different.

I read this as the people who tell us what we are told are in error.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 29, 2010, 11:29:42 PM »
This is way late, but thanks for the info!  ;)

Glad to help! Anything to keep everyone up to date (myself included).
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Xtofur

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 30, 2010, 09:41:17 PM »
Is Changes the last Dresden Files Book? Is Harry dead?

I would like to really know.

Offline snowbank

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 30, 2010, 10:18:13 PM »
Is Changes the last Dresden Files Book? Is Harry dead?

I would like to really know.

No. The next book will be titled "Ghost Story" and will be published in April 2011.
ALIEN SPACE BATS!!!!!!!!