Author Topic: Questions Specifically for Jim, Part 3  (Read 137067 times)

Offline ejchristian86

• Conversationalist
  • can cast her own silver bullets in a pinch.
    • View Profile
    • Little Spoon Cupcakes
Re: Questions Specifically for Jim, Part 3
« Reply #480 on: April 19, 2011, 01:07:51 AM »
I've got an authory question. Did Jim know how long the DF series was going to be when he started?

I heard a WoJ where he said he had the overall story mapped out from the beginning, but has let most of the details evolve as the characters grow. He also had some key scenes (or funny scenes he just wanted to use) mapped out.
DV ejchristian86 v1.2 YR1.5 FR1 BK+++ RP JB TH++ WG+ CL++ SW++++ BC+++ MC+++++ SH[Murphy+++, Molly ----] FF-- MS+++

GLaDOS: Oh. Hi. So. How are you holding up? BECAUSE I'M A POTATO!

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 20, 2011, 01:26:28 AM »
Here's a question:
Why didn't Kemmler become a Freehold Lord?

I'm sure that the Red Court (planning their war with the White Council), the White Court (who hate the White Council), and the Order of the Blackened Denarius would have signed off on it - giving Kemmler the protection of the Accords while he worked on his ascension.

I have couple of theories, but I'd really like to hear if Jim has an answer.

The theories?
a) All humans with mystic power are already covered by the Accord and are the domain of the White Council, or
b) Kemmler was too egotistical to think he needed protection (even after he died a couple of times), or
c) it was on his to do list and he never got around it to.

Someone has suggested that Mab wouldn't let him sign, but if she let a bunch of Fallen wearing Human skins (aka the Order of the Blackened Denarius) join then I can't see why she wouldn't let him join.

Richard

Offline JinElusion

• O. M. G.
  • The Sword of the Evening
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 20, 2011, 06:08:58 AM »
What an awesome question. Personally, i would go with the egotistical one. Somebody attempting what he was trying to accomplish has to be on that upper level of arrogance for sure.
"Even if I go to hell, I will live until the end of the world, and if the world does not end; I will destroy it myself." - Grahf, Xenogears

"There's gonna be some stuff you're gonna see that's gonna make it hard to smile in the future." - 2pac

Offline Mr. Ghostbuster

• Conversationalist
  • Jimbassador to the United States
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 20, 2011, 10:13:46 PM »
I'm re-reading Dead Beat right now and from the way Mab spoke of Kemmler, a lot of the signatory nations of the accords may have viewed him as a potential threat.
DV Warden of Iowa City 1.0 YR4 FR(M)1 BK+++ RP JB++ TH+ WG++ CL+ SW BC+ MC---- FF+ SH++[Murphy+++ Lara+ Gard+ Molly-]

Hi. I'm the future director of The Dresden Files movie. Wink.

Offline ragnrok

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 21, 2011, 01:39:07 AM »
What would happen if someone walked through an empowered circle without first breaking it with their foot?

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 21, 2011, 02:36:55 AM »
I'm re-reading Dead Beat right now and from the way Mab spoke of Kemmler, a lot of the signatory nations of the accords may have viewed him as a potential threat.

More of a threat than the Order of the Blackened Denarius? Those guys are bound to Fallen Angels and are trying to win the War for the Bad Side - I tend to rank them as nastier than someone trying to ascend.

I'd love to hear someone ask a question like this at the next con that Jim attends.

Richard

Offline sjsharks

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 21, 2011, 03:45:51 AM »
What would happen if someone walked through an empowered circle without first breaking it with their foot?

I'm pretty sure it just breaks it IIRC. Binder was going to throw a rock across Harry's circle so his demons could eat Harry and Murphy.
And Chocolate is associated with love and love killed the Dinosaurs, you are a genius Sjsharks

TWCB-Dinosaurs

Offline derrick

• Conversationalist
  • Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 21, 2011, 03:56:08 AM »
I'm pretty sure it just breaks it IIRC. Binder was going to throw a rock across Harry's circle so his demons could eat Harry and Murphy.

Yup.  Intent breaks the circle.  Mortal intent, at least.  If by empowered ragnrok means a (greater) circle like those that held the Loup Garou or the Archive, then it gets fuzzy.
WARNING: The above post may contain sarcasm, esoteric verbiage, nonstandard formatting, disjointed thoughts, and/or inappropriate remarks about goldfish.

Offline ejchristian86

• Conversationalist
  • can cast her own silver bullets in a pinch.
    • View Profile
    • Little Spoon Cupcakes
« Reply #488 on: April 21, 2011, 04:25:34 AM »

Correct. Any object that crosses a circle's barrier will break the circle, regardless of whether or not the object smudges the line itself. After all, not all circles are drawn, and Harry often has to make sure that there aren't particles of dust or hair or anything like that lying across the "line" of the metal circle in his basement.
DV ejchristian86 v1.2 YR1.5 FR1 BK+++ RP JB TH++ WG+ CL++ SW++++ BC+++ MC+++++ SH[Murphy+++, Molly ----] FF-- MS+++

GLaDOS: Oh. Hi. So. How are you holding up? BECAUSE I'M A POTATO!

Offline ragnrok

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 21, 2011, 04:33:23 PM »

Yes, but every time someone is inside a circle they physically break the circle with their foot before stepping through.  Harry even specifically tells Butters to do so in Dead Beat.  It seems kind of pointless to do that if there wasn't some reason not to walk straight into a circle.

Offline JinElusion

• O. M. G.
  • The Sword of the Evening
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 22, 2011, 02:22:04 AM »
Maybe it just determines how the energies disperse themselves: harmlessly or violently. Probably not much violence with a little empowered chalk circle, but there still might be some negative feedback if you don't break it the right way.
"Even if I go to hell, I will live until the end of the world, and if the world does not end; I will destroy it myself." - Grahf, Xenogears

"There's gonna be some stuff you're gonna see that's gonna make it hard to smile in the future." - 2pac

Offline HandyGandy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: May 01, 2011, 06:46:01 AM »
What kind of keyboard does Jim use for writing?

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: May 06, 2011, 05:28:23 AM »
Personally, I want to know if Jim was getting bored writing TDF over the last few books (prior to Changes).  I can't say specifically what it was, but with Small Favor and Turn Coat, there was just something that seemed like Butcher was going through the motions with some of it.  Almost like he knew what he was going to do in Changes, but had to finish a checklist of plot points before he could advance the story.

I really felt it in certain things, like with Molly's development, then regression, and back and forth; and with the scenes with Molly/Mouse/Luccio/Morgan in Turn Coat; and even from the rumor I heard about the fact that he wanted to name Ghost Story something else, but was more-or-less railroaded back into the Two Word title.  I feel like he wants to shake things up, and if so, then it's his darn series, so let 'em rip!

Offline Kilroy

• Conversationalist
  • My faith protects me. My Kevlar helps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: May 06, 2011, 08:51:16 AM »
and even from the rumor I heard about the fact that he wanted to name Ghost Story something else, but was more-or-less railroaded back into the Two Word title.  I feel like he wants to shake things up, and if so, then it's his darn series, so let 'em rip!

That's what Changes was, thus the title. He was going to call ghost story ‘Dead’, which they did not care for. I think the new title is better myself.
"You're in America now," I said. "Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer." ~ Harry Dresden

"Maybe I'd been shut away in my lab too long, but Spenser never mentions that the Faerie Queen has a great ass." ~ Harry Dresden

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: May 06, 2011, 02:04:29 PM »
I think the new title is better myself.

I agree that Ghost Story is a better title, but us saying that is like telling Butcher to rename his kid because we don't like his idea.  It's his creative work, and if he wanted to break the trend with 'Changes', and then continue breaking the trend with 'Dead', then I think its a shame.  Although, I also think Storm Front is a better title than Semi-automagic, so it's probably for the best.

I guess I was just saying that the title thing, combined with the mood I read into his writing, seemed to me that he wanted to break free of the norm.  I think with the Codex Alera series not being in first person, and the latest short stories being from other perspectives, he might be itching for something new.  It wouldn't surprise me too much if he keeps the first-person narrative for the 'files', and then ditches to third-person for the trilogy.