Author Topic: 4-month check in: How's your NaNo doing?  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
4-month check in: How's your NaNo doing?
« on: March 20, 2010, 04:09:18 PM »
I've tried to go back and edit mine a couple of times, but it never came to anything.  I know what needs fixing, both in specific and in general, but I haven't been able to stand it.  I 'blah' over large chunks of it.  That means even I'M bored with my novel.  Yikes.  That said, I was re-reading Donald Maass's excellent "Writing the Breakout Novel" book and got an epiphany on how to fix a large chunk of the story.

And I finally figured out how to write the beginning correctly.  I've known from the day I set it down that the ending was awful; it meandered, it babbled, it droned on and on.  Now it's better.  Ok, it's no "I opened the door and Morgan fell bleeding at my feet" in terms of media res, but it's much, much better.

Just wondering if anyone else is still working on theirs.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Darwinist

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Socially Transmitted Disease
Re: 4-month check in: How's your NaNo doing?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 01:50:47 AM »
Buried under the other four novels I started and never finished

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 07:23:36 AM »
We have one of our two, almost ready to submit, (it needed the most work) the second is in need of much less work. Both of the works in progress will be ready before NASFIC, and we have the pitches ready for our targeted publishers.

The next novels are blocked out, and ideas are sorted for preperation. It is important to rember that novels can sit for years before a decision is made, so writing one and waiting on it is a losing game.

regards,
Kevin
Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline elsupremo

• Conversationalist
  • Possible Illusion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 08:59:49 AM »
Mine is dormant. Life exerting too much pressure in other areas.

Offline Cooper

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • LJMcLean.net
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 03:19:27 PM »
Editing '08 right now.  Been tweeting it under #projectmana.
What would you do if you had six hours of humanity left?
http://www.ljmclean.net/

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 03:58:08 PM »
Dumped approx. 50% of it, took a break to recover from surgery, have yet to get back to it, except in my head.   I'm planning to start up again sometime this week.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Nickeris86

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 09:20:19 PM »
mine are berried under the pressure of graduation.
In the darkest hour i shall be there.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 09:29:12 PM »
Buried.   And the irony here is just killing me.

My Nano is busily being beaten into an actual novel (the one I'm talking about in the thread where I'm lookin' for beta readers).  It is now almost as large as it was originally (closing in on 50k), but I've added so many new scenes that the ending of this book will bear almost no resemblance to the ending of the NaNo version.

Which is probably good, because when you write a 50k story in 2 weeks, odds are it sucks diseased mongoose wang, and mine did.

I did manage to preserve the corn dog scene, but I have removed the were-hamster scene.  Favorite upcoming scene needing reworking:  Shirtless Smokin' Hot Catholic Priest Scene!  Which parallels nicely with my favorite recently added scene, Shirtless Psychopathic Werewolf Scene.

I'm a simple creature, really.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline KevinEvans

• Conversationalist
  • The Butterfly did it, Alt History
    • View Profile
    • My personal Author page
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 08:14:17 AM »
Latest update,

Our project is 4/5ths done. The edit version is up to 90K (26 chapters) words, with eight more chapters yet to be edited and added in to the total. The deadline to have it ready for our first readers, is Condit in SLC. May 27-30.

This should put us comfortably in to the 100 to 120 K word length that our prospective publisher wants.

The second novel is already at the right length, and needs word polish and continuity checks.

We even have a pitch set up for Nasfic.

Sweating it out,
Kevin

Are Tech articles written for a nonexistent town in an alternate universe, Fiction?

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 01:18:13 PM »
It wasn't Nano, but I'm deep in revision of YA using the shrunken manuscript concept, I'm switching from 3rd intimate to 1st POV, and religiously reading and recording as part of that revision.  I've placed a three month time frame to get it finished.  I received a full manuscript review by a Penguin editor and an agent who kindly asked to see my revision when I'm ready.  Who knows?

Life goes on...
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline belial.1980

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 04:16:37 PM »

Dead in the water. I met the 50K requirements in the alotted time. I spent another 3-4 weeks "finishing" the manuscript. But it's so bad that I have no compulsion to go back and work on a 2nd draft. Ever.

Maybe not ever but I made up just about everything as I went along and it ended up as a big steaming trainwreck.  :-[ Oh well. At least I got all the way through it.
Love cannot save you from your fate.

- Jim Morrison