Author Topic: Conviction vs. Discipline  (Read 2288 times)

Offline blackheart

• Participant
    • View Profile
Conviction vs. Discipline
« on: March 16, 2010, 02:32:34 PM »
What are the mechanical diffrences between these two skills?

At first glance, they seem fairly the same.
"How do you carjack a Death Star?"
Gina Diggers, Gold Digger #99

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Conviction vs. Discipline
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 03:13:17 PM »
I think this was answered in another thread. If memory serves, the first is how much power you can draw while the second is how carefully you can wield what power you have drawn. Or something.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 05:02:47 PM »
I think this was answered in another thread. If memory serves, the first is how much power you can draw while the second is how carefully you can wield what power you have drawn. Or something.

Yep, this was covered in another thread. Spellcasting really consists of a trinity of skills: Lore is what you know and perceive, Conviction is the power of your belief (and thus the potency of your magic), and Discipline is the ability to control the power you summon.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Douglas

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 09:06:06 PM »
Does this use of conviction and discipline just count for spells, or do true believers use them in the same way for their powers?  The outline on the website mentioned that conviction was a must for them but didn't mention discipline.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 09:16:39 PM »
Does this use of conviction and discipline just count for spells, or do true believers use them in the same way for their powers?  The outline on the website mentioned that conviction was a must for them but didn't mention discipline.

True Believers are more about using some "shorthand powers" and their Conviction skill.  To put it another way, their magical effects are more limited and all work through the potency of their faith.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Bosh

• Conversationalist
  • Seoulite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 09:28:33 PM »
In fluff terms, Dresden has maxed-out Conviction and Martin has maxed-out Discipline.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 09:30:27 PM »
In fluff terms, Dresden has maxed-out Conviction and Martin has maxed-out Discipline.

Absolutely, though Martin is using his Discipline for different purposes than spellcasters. It's all about controlling the hunger, but still allowing him to make use of his Red Court induced powers without sliding into a murderous rage that'll tip him over into true transformation.
Fred Hicks