Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 354427 times)

Offline KingRob

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #540 on: May 05, 2013, 07:53:54 AM »
Any idea on the canonical dates for the Black Cats? Jack Murphy?
Solid information about any supernatural groups active in the area during that time? Especially the White Court.
How much to we know about Kemmler and the White Council during World War 2?

Any references or thoughts would be helpful.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 06, 2013, 01:08:12 PM »
Any idea on the canonical dates for the Black Cats? Jack Murphy?
Solid information about any supernatural groups active in the area during that time? Especially the White Court.
How much to we know about Kemmler and the White Council during World War 2?

Any references or thoughts would be helpful.
Well the Jack Murphy and the black cats would have been much later, since Murphy has memories of her dad;  He killed himself around 17 BSF. 

As far as WWII, the only things that come to mind was the talk of Kemmler raising mass graves and that brief description of Klaus the Toymaker vs the Nazi Sorcerer that was summoning demons
(click to show/hide)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Tami Seven

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 07, 2013, 01:04:21 PM »
Well the Jack Murphy and the black cats would have been much later, since Murphy has memories of her dad;  He killed himself around 17 BSF. 

As far as WWII, the only things that come to mind was the talk of Kemmler raising mass graves and that brief description of Klaus the Toymaker vs the Nazi Sorcerer that was summoning demons
(click to show/hide)

Shame he won't/can't publish that. It sounds like a fun read.
War Cry -
"Thomas doesn't fight back, not even for an instant. In the end, it's not common sense that pulls me back from the brink, or even fear of being devoured by the Shoggoth....It's the look of unshakeable trust in my Brother's eyes, even as my hands tighten around his throat."

Offline Sharlee

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 09, 2013, 10:38:44 PM »
Here's another picky little historical tidbit:

In "Aftermath", Stallings mentions the FBI searching for clues to who attacked their building in Changes, and one of the names he drops is Osama bin Laden.  Given that bin Laden was killed on May 2, 2011, this could be interpreted in two possible ways:

1) Changes could have happened before bin Laden's death.  This would push back the estimated date of that novel to 2010 at the latest, and put Harry's birth in 1973 or earlier, not 1974.

2) Changes happened in 2011, but Bin Laden's death was recent enough for Stallings to sarcastically mention him as a suspect.  Note that the other "suspect" Stallings mentions is Bigfoot -- and so far as we know, Stallings has no clue that Bigfoot is real in the Dresdenverse -- which is consistent with the notion that he's being sarcastic, here (i.e. "These feds are so clueless, they even suspect urban legends and a dead guy.").

In any case, unless Stallings is some sort of conspiracy crackpot, this surely supports the idea that Changes can't have happened any later than 2011.  By 2012, even sarcastic references to anyone still hunting for bin Laden will have gotten far too stale for anyone to bother making.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #544 on: May 09, 2013, 11:34:13 PM »
Here's another picky little historical tidbit:

In "Aftermath", Stallings mentions the FBI searching for clues to who attacked their building in Changes, and one of the names he drops is Osama bin Laden.  Given that bin Laden was killed on May 2, 2011, this could be interpreted in two possible ways:

1) Changes could have happened before bin Laden's death.  This would push back the estimated date of that novel to 2010 at the latest, and put Harry's birth in 1973 or earlier, not 1974.

2) Changes happened in 2011, but Bin Laden's death was recent enough for Stallings to sarcastically mention him as a suspect.  Note that the other "suspect" Stallings mentions is Bigfoot -- and so far as we know, Stallings has no clue that Bigfoot is real in the Dresdenverse -- which is consistent with the notion that he's being sarcastic, here (i.e. "These feds are so clueless, they even suspect urban legends and a dead guy.").

In any case, unless Stallings is some sort of conspiracy crackpot, this surely supports the idea that Changes can't have happened any later than 2011.  By 2012, even sarcastic references to anyone still hunting for bin Laden will have gotten far too stale for anyone to bother making.

Somewhat relevant: Jim wrote the story in early 2010. :D

Yeah, this nestles in nicely with the growing consensus that Storm Front takes place in 1999.  Great catch!

Offline draxius

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files short-form timeline, with calculator
« Reply #545 on: May 14, 2013, 08:27:59 PM »
Somewhat relevant: Jim wrote the story in early 2010. :D

Yeah, this nestles in nicely with the growing consensus that Storm Front takes place in 1999.  Great catch!

Serious question on this - what is pointing to Storm Front being in 1999?  If Harry was born in 1974 (which I feel is the "consensus opinion" right now) and he's 25 during the story, wouldn't that place Storm Front it in 2000 (and it being about 5 months after his 25th birthday)?
Dresden Files short-form timeline, with calculator: http://draxius.com/dresden/timeline.html

Offline DARTHYAM

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 07, 2013, 05:21:46 PM »
In that case Changes takes place in October. I was wagering late october 2011.

If Changes was 2010, than SF would be 99, but Harry would have been 1973 (he was 25 in SF).

Another thing is that Maggie was concieved in February, and the very earliest a she could be born and healthy would be 7 months (early october would probably be her birthdate. 2003 was an election year; because of this that's the likely conception time. Meaning Changes could have occurred in either october of 2011 or October 2012.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 05:26:18 PM by DARTHYAM »

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #547 on: June 08, 2013, 03:58:14 AM »
We don't know for a fact Harry was exactly 25 in Storm Front.  I can't imagine him being younger than 24, but yeah.  Not necessarily 25.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 10, 2013, 01:00:38 PM »
Just realized something:  Ivy is now old enough to drive.  And it looks like the world will be ending by the time she can legally drink.  Well, in the US at least.  I wonder where she lives...?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline draxius

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files short-form timeline, with calculator
« Reply #549 on: June 10, 2013, 08:47:27 PM »
We don't know for a fact Harry was exactly 25 in Storm Front.  I can't imagine him being younger than 24, but yeah.  Not necessarily 25.
Fair point - I'd thought that we'd gotten some confirmation from Jim on that one, but you'd know much better than I would.  The rest of this isn't an argument against your logic (or anyone else's) per se - rather it's an attempt to finally get to the bottom of all this.  :)  In all seriousness - please feel free to show I'm wrong on anything here.  I'd rather have the right answer than think I do and be wrong.

That being said, DM's election year mention always had me placing that in 2003, and working backward from there would put SF and FM in 2000 (regardless of Harry's age).

I'd set up my mini-timeline site to help myself (and others, if they'd like to reference it) for placing the stories - I've found it especially useful for placing adventures in the DFRPG, for example.  In digging through all of that, and using the comprehensive timeline from this thread coupled with my own notes, I've been using the following as a set of guide-posts (all month counts in ages rounded down):
  • Harry is 19 when he leaves Ebeneezer (minimum age - 19y0mo)
  • Harry wanders around for 9-20 months (minimum age - 19y9mo)
  • Harry takes several jobs before joining Ragged Angel (minimum age - 20y0mo)
  • Harry works for Ragged Angel for 3 years (minimum age - 23y0mo)
  • Harry is in business for himself ~ 5 years by the time Death Masks happens (minimum age - 28y0mo)

Since Death Masks is in February (Harry would be ~28y3mo by the above math), and Storm Front is just shy of 3 years earlier (Harry is ~25y4mo), Harry is pretty much always 25 in my head during Storm Front.

Even if we compress the "Harry wanders" and "odd jobs" periods, the youngest Harry could start his own agency would be ~22 1/2 years old (19 when he left Ebeneezer, 3 years with Nick, plus time to move around).  That could make him 24 during Storm Front, but I think that's pushing it.  I completely agree that 23 is right out.

On the Knight Rider question, apparently there were episodes being aired in syndication all the way into the 90s: http://knightrideronline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17719  Couple that with the fact that a twelve-almost-thirteen Harry born in 1974 would be preferring to watch an episode aired in 1987, and I don't know how much the Knight Rider piece of the debate holds up anymore (as much as I wanted it to... :'( ).

Now for some more headache-inducing analysis of all of this.

If we assume that the youngest Harry could be is 24 in Storm Front, and the oldest he could be is 29 (just to have an upper bound on things - I don't think anyone thinks that Harry is 30 when Storm Front rolls around).  We'll narrow these ages in a second, but I think these boundaries are very reasonable.

The earliest logical date for Harry to be born is 10/31/1974 (due to the Copperfield dilemma), placing Storm Front between 1999 (age 24) and 2004 (age 29).

The latest logical time for Death Masks would be ~2004 (as the Shroud of Turin incident - a "few years" before - has a hard dated year of 1997).  That being said, Death Masks makes, by far, the most sense being placed in 2003 due to the mayoral election year.  Here, Harry would be between ages 27 and 32.  However, if we assume that Death Masks has a hard date of Feburary 2003 (1999 is too early, 2007 too late), and Harry born no earlier than October of 1974, the oldest he could be during DM is 28 (having turned 28 in October of 2002).  This doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room - if he's 27 or 28 in DM, that makes him 24 or 25 during Storm Front.

That having been said, we've been given that slew of time units I rattled off earlier in this post, which adds up to 28 years and change.  So for me, the logical conclusion is that Harry is 28 in DM (taking place in 2003), 25 in SF (taking place in 2000), and as a result, born in 1974.

I've convinced myself on this too many times - I guess the question is, have I convinced anyone else, and is anyone of a mind to dissuade me from some logical fallacy I might have overlooked here?
Dresden Files short-form timeline, with calculator: http://draxius.com/dresden/timeline.html

Offline KingRob

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: July 20, 2013, 10:30:28 PM »
I'm re-reading Ghost Story right now. On page 364 of the hardcover, Harry talks about Kemmler being "finally killed" during World War Two. I know the 1960s date listed in the timeline comes from an earlier anecdote (Dead Beat, I think) where Bob mentions the death of Kemmler. Is Harry just feeding us incorrect information in Ghost Story or is Butcher revising the timeline here?

Offline Alaran

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 25, 2013, 06:07:47 PM »
Another thing for the pre-SF timeline. Morgan nukes a naagloshii at a Nevada testing facility in the fifties. Mentioned in page 55-56 in Turn Coat.

Dresden: "Stars and stones . . . that's . . . kind of Cool."
Morgan: "Gets me to sleep at night"

;)

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #552 on: November 25, 2013, 06:58:47 PM »
Another thing for the pre-SF timeline. Morgan nukes a naagloshii at a Nevada testing facility in the fifties. Mentioned in page 55-56 in Turn Coat.

Dresden: "Stars and stones . . . that's . . . kind of Cool."
Morgan: "Gets me to sleep at night"

;)

Thanks!  Added!

Offline BlahBlah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 19, 2014, 09:55:38 PM »
From Backup, Thomas received his pendant from his mother on his fifth birthday.
Quote from: Griffyn612
My guesses are not educated, thank you.  >:( 

They're Logic School drop-outs, just hanging out in the rough parts of the boards, looking for trouble.  They look tough, but run at the first sign of reasoning or intellectual thought 8)

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #554 on: January 19, 2014, 10:07:08 PM »
From Backup, Thomas received his pendant from his mother on his fifth birthday.

Great catch! Added!