Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 354665 times)

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #450 on: August 16, 2011, 02:34:59 AM »
Perhaps I've missed this, but the timeline doesn't have an entry on when the Culling of mortals with minor/untrained talent by the White Court started.  From Chapter 11 of White Night, it seems to have started about a year before the events in White Night.  Basically right around the time of Something Borrowed,  or perhaps just a little bit before.

-Cheers
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 01, 2011, 04:12:55 PM »
This may be a bit whimsical, but there's a WOJ that says Demonreach got its limp from the Glacier that carved out the Great Lakes, which happened when the Laurentide ice sheet retreated, some 10,000 Years ago.  Not long ago at all, from Sue's Point of View :)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline AzrieldeLeon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 15, 2011, 06:59:17 PM »
Looking ahead...there's supposed to be what, 20-25 books in the series? If Harry's 37 in Changes, he's going to be almost 50 when the series ends, assuming the current trend of roughly one adventure per year, book-verse, right?
Mouse

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 31, 2011, 03:28:12 PM »
*Turn Coat:
Quote from: Ancient Mai
He (Harry) was not truly your apprentice.  You kept watch over him for a mere two years.
This would support Harry living with McCoy for 2 rather than 3 years, but it's possible Mai was misinformed (a little unlikely given the amount of attention Harry got), or forgot it was 3.  Thoughts?

*Also, this might not fit the timeline, the DFRPG casefile "Neutral Grounds" would take place in 2003 or 2004.  Reasoning:  The character Maria Emana fled then-Zaire during the civil war (read: First Congo War) 7 years ago.  That conflict took place 1996-1997, placing the casefile at 2003 or 2004.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 06:47:35 PM by Katarn »

Offline binz

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 14, 2012, 07:57:23 PM »
Possibly I'm just interpreting incorrectly, but doesn't Storm Front take place in (lateish) March, not April?

Re: Anyway, it had been a slow month. A slow pair of months, actually. My rent from February didn’t get paid until the tenth of March, and it was looking like it might be even longer until I got caught up for this month. mid Chapter One [sorry, epubs only right now], and It was cool and windy, like it usually is in March, and she wore a long coat that covered her pantsuit. from the beginning of Chapter Two.

Offline lovejoy69

• Posty McPostington
  • Ignore it, run away, bonk the offender on the head
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 14, 2012, 10:27:48 PM »
Possibly I'm just interpreting incorrectly, but doesn't Storm Front take place in (lateish) March, not April?

Re: Anyway, it had been a slow month. A slow pair of months, actually. My rent from February didn’t get paid until the tenth of March, and it was looking like it might be even longer until I got caught up for this month. mid Chapter One [sorry, epubs only right now], and It was cool and windy, like it usually is in March, and she wore a long coat that covered her pantsuit. from the beginning of Chapter Two.
A full year before I looked online for Jim Butcher stuff and found this forum I had first started reading the Dresden Files. I have made my own simple document, strictly for my own personal use, for two or three authors where I plan to read several related books of theirs and wanted to keep track of when each novel takes place, significant events occur, major characters are introduced to the storyline, that kind of stuff. From that info, not from the official timeline here on the forum, I had put down when Storm Front appeared to begin per its info in-text. Like you, I had Storm Front as beginning in March.

However, I do keep to the forefront of my mind that this forum timeline is one to which Jim has always had access. If he's left it as saying April without making any comment to the contrary, I kinda figure author trumps plain ol' me for knowing the straight dope. (Not to mention Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome too, She doesn't do sloppy or casual work. She's rather amazingly correct as to details.) 
"...when you know something the rest of us don't."
"It's like heroin for wizards," I confirmed.
   ===          ===
"And if the child was no warlock, she would have lowered the shield by now."
"No! I'm not dropping the shield until Harry says it's okay." She paused. "Uh, besides. I'm not sure how."

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #456 on: February 14, 2012, 10:35:22 PM »

Huh.  You're exactly right!  I have no idea where I got April.  Thanks!

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 15, 2012, 03:28:38 PM »
A full year before I looked online for Jim Butcher stuff and found this forum I had first started reading the Dresden Files. I have made my own simple document, strictly for my own personal use, for two or three authors where I plan to read several related books of theirs and wanted to keep track of when each novel takes place, significant events occur, major characters are introduced to the storyline, that kind of stuff. From that info, not from the official timeline here on the forum, I had put down when Storm Front appeared to begin per its info in-text. Like you, I had Storm Front as beginning in March.

However, I do keep to the forefront of my mind that this forum timeline is one to which Jim has always had access. If he's left it as saying April without making any comment to the contrary, I kinda figure author trumps plain ol' me for knowing the straight dope. (Not to mention Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome too, She doesn't do sloppy or casual work. She's rather amazingly correct as to details.)

Jim has actually said if someone has a question about the timeline, they are better off asking Priscellie, since she keeps better track of it than he does (heck I think that's how she became a beta)
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #458 on: February 15, 2012, 06:55:19 PM »
Heh, yup.  Just after WN was released, I pointed out that Molly had somehow celebrated two birthdays in the ten-month span between "Proven Guilty" and "White Night" and coyly floated that if Jim needed a Timeline beta... :D

Offline lovejoy69

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 15, 2012, 07:12:36 PM »
Heh, yup.  Just after WN was released, I pointed out that Molly had somehow celebrated two birthdays in the ten-month span between "Proven Guilty" and "White Night" and coyly floated that if Jim needed a Timeline beta... :D
And thus a proto-goddess grew into a glorious Goddess in her own right, complete with cult devotees.
   ===          ===
"No! I'm not dropping the shield until Harry says it's okay." She paused. "Uh, besides. I'm not sure how."

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 17, 2012, 07:18:23 AM »
*Turn Coat:This would support Harry living with McCoy for 2 rather than 3 years, but it's possible Mai was misinformed (a little unlikely given the amount of attention Harry got), or forgot it was 3.  Thoughts?
Everything between two and three will be rounded up or down depending on the personal agenda of the one talking.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Orladdin

• Conversationalist
  • The Undauntable
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 17, 2012, 04:19:58 PM »
Hey, Priscellie, is there any chance that this timeline might get the glossy-treatment and a printed copy one of these days?  I'd love to be able to purchase a wall-scroll of the timeline... maybe through the JB store?
There is never a blanket answer to an ethical question.  This includes the Laws of Magic.

Perpetrator of The Cold Days Release FAQ

"I never make stupid mistakes. Only very, very clever ones."
-- The Doctor, Timewyrm: Genesys

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #462 on: February 17, 2012, 09:01:59 PM »
Hey, Priscellie, is there any chance that this timeline might get the glossy-treatment and a printed copy one of these days?  I'd love to be able to purchase a wall-scroll of the timeline... maybe through the JB store?

That might be fun!  Not sure if there would be enough interest to justify the time and expense, though.

Offline Tarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 17, 2012, 09:05:41 PM »
*Turn Coat:This would support Harry living with McCoy for 2 rather than 3 years, but it's possible Mai was misinformed (a little unlikely given the amount of attention Harry got), or forgot it was 3.  Thoughts?
Mai is known as "Ancient".  Odds are, a few years either way could slip by her attention.  They probably start to slide together pretty well once you're more than a few hundred years old. 

Offline lovejoy69

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 17, 2012, 10:06:15 PM »
That might be fun!  Not sure if there would be enough interest to justify the time and expense, though.
Conceivably another Kiva support project if the pricing could be kept in an accessible range? Though 'Cellie might have difficulty carving enough time away from other needs this year.
   ===          ===