Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 355131 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2007, 05:47:02 PM »
Alright, I just had a brain lock..At the cost of seeming really stupid...Who the heck is Victor? Not Kravos..i don't recall any discussion of his children from Grave Peril...This is bugging me because i recall the description of the children but can't place it...

tud

Victor was the villain in "Storm Front," not "Grave Peril."

Offline fatty

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2007, 06:08:44 PM »
The one who was making the Third-Eye drug?
Polka will never die!

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2007, 06:37:00 PM »
The one who was making the Third-Eye drug?

That's the bunny!  Well, Three-Eye.  "Third-Eye" is the drug on the TV show.

Offline tud

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2007, 05:38:54 PM »
Thanks guys..I remember now..guess I forgot because that's my least favorite  of the series...Didn't much care for it except for Toots and the by-play with Murphy...Fool Moon is where I really got into the story..I mean I remember the basic story but just glossed over old Victor.

tud..thanks for both letting know about ole Vic and not lambasting me about such a lapse..

« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 11:29:18 PM by tud »

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2007, 08:40:32 PM »
Hey, here's something about WN which is spoily without ruinning it for everyone...Who's in it?

I mean Besides Harry, of course!*G*

I know that we have Murph and Molly. I also know that 'Los puts in an appearance  but how big a part does Butters and Thomas have and who else is involved (Besides Lash)?

tud..thanks for both letting know about ole Vic and not lambasting me about such a lapse..

Hey, no worries!  And out of courtesy to the fans, I won't be adding any White Night info to the timeline until a month after the book comes out.  Or maybe a little earlier, if Fred wants to have the Timeline episode of The Butcher Block before then.

Offline tud

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2007, 11:19:36 PM »
Hey, regarding the question about WN , I'm sorry  I posted that here..i meant to post it on the WN thread and messed up because I was rushed for time...Please disregard...

tud

Offline Wilgar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2007, 03:10:11 PM »
Okay, I didn't see that this had been mentioned yet, if it has, sorry.  At the beginning of Chapter 19 in Proven Guilty, Harry mentions that the Unseelie Accords had taken place 10 to 12 years earlier.  I guess that puts Proven Guilty in 2004 to 2006?

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2007, 03:46:52 PM »
Okay, I didn't see that this had been mentioned yet, if it has, sorry.  At the beginning of Chapter 19 in Proven Guilty, Harry mentions that the Unseelie Accords had taken place 10 to 12 years earlier.  I guess that puts Proven Guilty in 2004 to 2006?

We don't have an actual date for the Unseelie Accords.  You're thinking of the Unseelie Incursion, which took place in 1994 and involved the disappearance of the entire city of Milwaukee for two hours. 

Also, while I can't remember if there's any evidence to support this theory, I always assumed there have been more than one set of Unseelie Accords, just like our Geneva Conventions.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2007, 05:53:34 PM »
Also, while I can't remember if there's any evidence to support this theory, I always assumed there have been more than one set of Unseelie Accords, just like our Geneva Conventions.

There's a mention, I think in Proven Guilty but it might be in Dead Beat, of the Unseelie Accords that's something like Harry being notified of the most recent updates, strongly suggestive that they are something that various powers meet to renegotiate every now and again.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2007, 05:55:58 PM »
Extra datapoint I just noticed, Bob talking to Harry about Kemmler in chapter 3 of Dead Beat mentions that he worked for Kemmler for forty years, which gives us a Kemmler-finds-Bob date of 1921 or so.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2007, 08:57:32 PM »
Extra datapoint I just noticed, Bob talking to Harry about Kemmler in chapter 3 of Dead Beat mentions that he worked for Kemmler for forty years, which gives us a Kemmler-finds-Bob date of 1921 or so.

Thanks!  *adds*

Offline jffdougan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 18, 2007, 01:15:54 AM »
On Lydia and presidential assassination attempts:

Few people seem to know that there were assassination attempts post-Reagan. The following quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Presidential_assassination_attempts misses one that I remember hearing the Secret Service foiled before it happened, during the Clinton administration when somebody repeated the Sam Byck idea.

George H.W. Bush

April 13, 1993: Sixteen suspected terrorists, in the employ of Saddam Hussein's Iraq, smuggled a car bomb into Kuwait with the intent of killing Bush as he spoke at Kuwait University. The plot was foiled when Kuwaiti officials found the bomb and arrested the suspected assassins. Bush had left office in January 1993. On June 26, 1993, the U.S. launched a missile attack targeting Baghdad intelligence headquarters in retaliation for the attempted attack against Bush.

Bill Clinton

October 29, 1994: Francisco Martin Duran fired at least 29 shots with a semi-automatic rifle at the White House from Pennsylvania Avenue, outside the south lawn, thinking that Clinton was among the men in dark suits standing there (Clinton was in the White House Residence watching a football game). No one was hurt and Duran was sentenced to 40 years in prison.

George W. Bush

May 10, 2005: While Bush was giving a speech in the Freedom Square in Tbilisi, Georgia, Vladimir Arutinian threw a live Soviet-made RGD-5 hand grenade towards the podium where he was standing and where Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili and their two wives and officials were seated. It landed in the crowd 18.6 metres (61 feet) from the podium after hitting a girl, but did not detonate because the red tartan (plaid) handkerchief wrapped tightly around it didn't allow the firing pin to deploy fast enough.[

Arutinian was arrested in July 2005 and admitted to throwing the grenade. He was convicted in January 2006, and was given a life sentence.

The odds are that she might have been talking about the Clinton assassination attempt.

Offline MarkinStLouis

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2007, 01:26:50 PM »
Remind me again about the young chap at the beginning of "Proven Guilty": was he just summarily convicted without a trial?

I know they talked about procedures and stuff: soul-gazes were involved if I recall correctly. Did this not constitute a trial?

I came to ask the same question.  Any ideas?

Offline seiscat

• Conversationalist
  • Got cream?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2007, 07:50:01 PM »
He had a trial.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 07:55:52 PM by seiscat »
There is no such thing as just a cat.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #74 on: May 08, 2007, 05:27:07 PM »
The Korean wizard did have a "trial."  The Merlin says as much in the first couple pages of the book.  What makes Molly's treatment different from his is that Molly had a hearing.  Rather than the Merlin determining the her guilt himself through a soulgaze and an examination of her victims, as he did with the Korean boy, Molly actually had an advocate arguing in her favor to suspend the sentence for her crimes.

Here are the two relevant passages:

“Warden Dresden,” he said. He had the sonorous voice of a trained speaker, and spoke English with a high-class British accent. “If you had some evidence that you felt would prove the boy’s innocence, you should have presented it during the trial.”

“I didn’t have anything like that, and you know it,” I replied.

“He was proven guilty,” the Merlin said. “I soulgazed him myself. I examined more than two dozen mortals whose minds he had altered. Three of them might eventually recover their sanity. He forced four others to commit suicide, and had hidden nine corpses from the local authorities, as well. And every one of them was a blood relation.” The Merlin stepped toward me, and the air in the room suddenly felt hot. His eyes flashed with azure anger and his voice rumbled with deep, unyielding power. “The powers he had used had already broken his mind. We did what was necessary.”

“You’ve captured a warlock?” the woman asked.

“She turned herself in, full cooperation. There are extenuating circumstances around it. I want her to have a hearing.”

“A hearing…” the young woman said. I heard paper rustling. “Warden, I’m sorry, but I don’t think we do hearings anymore.”

“Sure we do,” I said. “We just haven’t had one for ten or twelve years. Pass word to command and tell them we’ll use the same location, sundown tomorrow.