Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 353803 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #165 on: July 29, 2008, 09:46:39 PM »
What I thought was odd about Molly and Arctis Tor is she says she has no memory of events from about (I am guessing) from her getting jumped at the Carpenter House to Harry and company saving her from the evil Fetches. What happened during that time? There may have been time travel or time dialation. Murphy lost a day at Arctis Tor. I think Molly is speeding up time for herself so she will be 21 sooner and old enough to drink.

I don't think "But I was trapped in a time vortex!" would fly with the nice police officer asking why she was drinking when the date on her driver's license gives her two years to go. :D

Offline Gman

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 29, 2008, 10:57:10 PM »
I don't think "But I was trapped in a time vortex!" would fly with the nice police officer asking why she was drinking when the date on her driver's license gives her two years to go. :D

Molly's good with illusions. She could make her driver's license date appear to change to another date like the Doctor's psychic paper. Actually Jim is much better than most authors in consistency. It is nearly impossible writing so many books not to make a few errors. Do apprentices get to take their WC wizard trials at a minimum age such as 21 or when their master feels they are ready?

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 30, 2008, 06:24:48 PM »
Molly's good with illusions. She could make her driver's license date appear to change to another date like the Doctor's psychic paper. Actually Jim is much better than most authors in consistency. It is nearly impossible writing so many books not to make a few errors. Do apprentices get to take their WC wizard trials at a minimum age such as 21 or when their master feels they are ready?
Trials or no, that would be one hell of a 21st birthday party.  I hope they manage to keep the property damage to a minimum.  ;D
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 31, 2008, 01:18:21 AM »
You have WAY TOO MUCH TIME ON YOUR HANDS!!

Wait, what? I thought you said "Dresdeniscool"; I'd think a timeline would have you utterly salivating, bub.

Offline Tamerlane

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 31, 2008, 01:54:36 AM »
This timeline is wonderful and very useful!

Thanks for putting it together!  :D

Offline Blampira

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 11, 2008, 05:50:27 AM »
4 ASF, Summer:  Mold demons pwn the Beetle's interior.  They were "a present from the guest villain a few months ago," whatever that means. *grin*  Also, Harry travels to "exotic Oklahoma" and runs down a rogue storm sylph as a favor to the Summer Lady.
In WN {ch 19} Harry tells Elaine that it was fungus demons that ate his car's interior 'right down to the metal'.

While reading 'Something Borrowed', Harry is talking to Murph about some of the 'other things' that called Undertown home...and tells her he'd once 'fought a wacko who kept summoning up fungus demons.'

Don't know how that info affects the timeline at all, but it seemingly gives info that may be tied to that particular incident.  :)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #171 on: September 05, 2008, 11:51:44 AM »
The offshoot discussion of Harry doing Lily a favor between books has been split off here.

Offline binz

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 07, 2008, 06:20:22 PM »
I don't know if this has been pointed out (I didn't see it; I did check first!), or how relevant it may be, as, like the eBay thing, it could easily be a case of real-time circumstances, but in Fool Moon Harry mentions driving by Cook County Hospital:

"I drove past Cook County Hospital, a virtual city of its own inside Chicago," (Fool Moon, 39, paperback).

Cook Country was replaced in late 2002/early 2003 with the John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County, which Harry mentions in Small Favor:

"The Stroger building, the new hospital that has replaced the old Cook County complex as Chicago’s nerve center of medicine" (Small Favor, 392, hardcover).

I'd say this places Fool Moon pre-2003 (I am tempted to extrapolate on the fact that no mention of the construction adjacent to Cook County was made, but that's just me getting too caught up), and Small Favor after, possibly recently after.

I'm tempted to combine that with the mention of "that pirate movie" (Small Favor, 77 hardcover), which is vague enough that it may or may not have been released in July 2003, and put Small Favor at the end of 2003. (Mind, there was another "pirates" movie that was released in 2005 that I can quite imagine Bob wanting to see, but I can't quite imagine it showing at a drive-in in Aurora, or Harry sitting through it with a pervy skull on the dashboard.)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 06:29:59 PM by binz »

Offline Simon Hogwood

• Conversationalist
  • Proud Dresdenarian
    • View Profile
    • Words of Wonderment
« Reply #173 on: September 08, 2008, 12:50:05 AM »
I don't know if this has been pointed out (I didn't see it; I did check first!), or how relevant it may be, as, like the eBay thing, it could easily be a case of real-time circumstances, but in Fool Moon Harry mentions driving by Cook County Hospital:

"I drove past Cook County Hospital, a virtual city of its own inside Chicago," (Fool Moon, 39, paperback).

Cook Country was replaced in late 2002/early 2003 with the John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County, which Harry mentions in Small Favor:

"The Stroger building, the new hospital that has replaced the old Cook County complex as Chicago’s nerve center of medicine" (Small Favor, 392, hardcover).

I'd say this places Fool Moon pre-2003 (I am tempted to extrapolate on the fact that no mention of the construction adjacent to Cook County was made, but that's just me getting too caught up), and Small Favor after, possibly recently after.
Seems solid to me. When did the construction on the Stroger building begin? If Fool Moon takes place in October of 2002, that only leaves one, maybe two months until it opens. OTOH, if it takes place in 2001, that leaves a full year and a bit.

Also, it just occured to me that the first chapters of Grave Peril also take place at Cook, almost exactly a year later. this would seem to force the issue, dating Grave Peril to 2002 and Fool Moon, and consequently Storm Front, to 2001 - literally, "The end of the twentieth century and the dawn of the new millennium".

Now, it could certainly be argued that the Grave Peril reference is to the Stroger Hospital (Wikipedia notes that it's also called "New Cook County Hospital"), but I do like the idea that the series starts out right on top of the 21st century, on purely personal grounds.

I'm tempted to combine that with the mention of "that pirate movie" (Small Favor, 77 hardcover), which is vague enough that it may or may not have been released in July 2003, and put Small Favor at the end of 2003. (Mind, there was another "pirates" movie that was released in 2005 that I can quite imagine Bob wanting to see, but I can't quite imagine it showing at a drive-in in Aurora, or Harry sitting through it with a pervy skull on the dashboard.)
The problem with this is that it compresses all the books between Fool Moon (or Grave Peril) and Small Favor into one year (2003). This is clearly impossible, as numerous places in the books (referenced in the timeline) refer to months passing between each book - I believe the longest gap is between Death Masks and Blood Rites, which if I'm reading right seems to be more than a year and a half.

However, there was more than one "that pirate movie", the latest of which came out in 2007 and, assuming Small Favor takes place in November 2009* (!), that leaves plenty of time for it to trickle down to the drive-in, which I assume probably isn't very high on the blockbuster distribution chain. Actually, by that logic, it could, in fact, be the first "pirate movie".  ;)

*The Timeline has it at the eighth year after Storm Front.
Blogging his way through The Dresden Files (currently on hiatus).

Offline binz

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 09, 2008, 03:55:30 AM »
When did the construction on the Stroger building begin? If Fool Moon takes place in October of 2002, that only leaves one, maybe two months until it opens. OTOH, if it takes place in 2001, that leaves a full year and a bit.

I actually had/have no idea when the construction began, but Google says sometime in 1998. I'm not sure what this may or may not do to any potentially 'real-time' numbered timeline. (Personally, my money's on "not do"; just saying. ;))

Also, it just occurred to me that the first chapters of Grave Peril also take place at Cook, almost exactly a year later. this would seem to force the issue, dating Grave Peril to 2002 and Fool Moon, and consequently Storm Front, to 2001 - literally, "The end of the twentieth century and the dawn of the new millennium".

... Opps. I remember intending to go and check Grave Peril before I said anything, but managed to forget entirely. Your memory, it is better than mine!

The problem with this is that it compresses all the books between Fool Moon (or Grave Peril) and Small Favor into one year (2003). This is clearly impossible, as numerous places in the books (referenced in the timeline) refer to months passing between each book - I believe the longest gap is between Death Masks and Blood Rites, which if I'm reading right seems to be more than a year and a half.

However, there was more than one "that pirate movie", the latest of which came out in 2007 and, assuming Small Favor takes place in November 2009* (!), that leaves plenty of time for it to trickle down to the drive-in, which I assume probably isn't very high on the blockbuster distribution chain. Actually, by that logic, it could, in fact, be the first "pirate movie".  ;)

Durr. I re-read, and realise that I never really finished my thought, before. I believe I got distracted by the image of poor Harry valiantly sitting through the actually-named "Pirates" with his skull, and started laughing too hard to think; at least, that's my story. Stickin' to it. (In case no one actually knows what I'm talking about, it's the type of movie old Lord Raith's movie company would have made.)

I was willing to concede the impossible timeline crunch to the rather tricky business of time-sensitive cultural references in writing, but your reasoning works so much better. Harry must have to wait a ridiculously long time to see some movies. (Heh. Especially as the drive-in in Aurora may be closed.)

Offline SailorYue

• Posty McPostington
  • I have a strange power, tied in with ESP
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 20, 2008, 07:14:17 PM »
omg, it never accured to me when i read SmF that they were talking of THOSE pirate movies. XD
aproximatly...

-----
avatar image found on Sherrilyn Kenyon's site.
it's Acheron's avatar, THE COOLEST, SCARIEST GOD ever.
--------------
Friendship and Laughter are the best medicine against depression =)

Offline beardOsaurus

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 05, 2009, 03:25:08 AM »
Not to intrude or anything, but the last time I checked, Vlad Tepes Is Dracula, not the father of...

His father gave him the medallion accepting him into the Order of the Dragon, thus the name "Drakula", which is translated to "Little Dragon", or "Small Dragon".

Offline Belmonte

• Conversationalist
  • O Dei! Lava quod est sordium!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 05, 2009, 03:35:42 AM »
In the Dresden Files, Dracula is the son of Drakul.  This is pretty explicitly said in Blood Rites, I believe. :)
When you ship or slash, God kills a kitten.  You don't want God to kill a kitten, do you?

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 05, 2009, 06:33:22 PM »
Vlad II Dracul, 1390-1447.
Vlad III Dracula "the Impaler"/Tepes, 1431-1476.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline beardOsaurus

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 06, 2009, 09:19:01 PM »
Exactly.

~1436: Vlad Tepesh, father of Dracula, is born.

Vlad Tepes IS Dracula. Which, I believe, is exactly what I said.