Author Topic: Dresden Files: Series Timeline  (Read 354492 times)

Offline Darrington

• Conversationalist
  • "The magic nachos will save me."
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Files: Series Timeline
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2007, 12:53:20 AM »
You're my hero of the day, Priscellie.  :-*

AD
"You can't hate a plant for being green." -In reference to a faerie screwing you over in deals.
"YES YOU CAN!!" -In reference to Wizard Darrington getting screwed over a dozen times too many.

A sword fight with a Red after both of us getting hit by a concussion grenade is not a good plan.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2007, 01:15:13 AM »
What?  Two weeks ago, I rescued your unborn future child from time-traveling cyberzombies, and I'm your hero today?  You have weird priorities, Darrington.

Offline Darrington

• Conversationalist
  • "The magic nachos will save me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2007, 02:16:18 AM »
What?  Two weeks ago, I rescued your unborn future child from time-traveling cyberzombies, and I'm your hero today?  You have weird priorities, Darrington.

:D  You have absolutely no idea.

And besides, I already batted my eyelashes at you for that one, so we're paid up.  Or else it's cumulative.  I'm not so sure.

AD
"You can't hate a plant for being green." -In reference to a faerie screwing you over in deals.
"YES YOU CAN!!" -In reference to Wizard Darrington getting screwed over a dozen times too many.

A sword fight with a Red after both of us getting hit by a concussion grenade is not a good plan.

Offline whoknowswhy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2007, 11:51:55 AM »
I'm confused (I should be used to it, I know).  In the timeline you say Harry started working with Nick at Ragged Angel at age 22-23, and worked with him for 3 years...then later in the timeline you say Harry opened his own dective agency at age 22-23.  If he worked with Nick for three years wouldn't he have been 25-26??
Forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2007, 03:03:12 PM »
Oh, thanks for spotting that!  It was a typo.  Too much copying and pasting!  It's fixed now.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2007, 07:42:19 PM »
Reread Grave Peril last night, and I have a potential query for placing it in October; Harry's last conversation with Susan takes place with her in a bikini outdoors getting some sun on one of the last warm days of the year - is this plausible for early October on the shores of Lake Michigan, and if not, would moving it back into late September make a big difference ?

Also, "Lydia", for whom I did not see a specific age but whom I was reading as around 19-22, remembers having had a prophetic dream of people trying to kill the President; her being old enough to have had that dream about the Hinckley assassination attempt on Reagan in 1981 also seems a bit of a stretch. [ Assuming she would have to be old enough to remember and make sense of it, and that that was not a dream she had when she was six months old or something. ]

Also also, is the last time Charity saw Harry, when Michael was wounded in some way, being five years before Grave Peril, worth including on the timeline ? The more I think about it the more I want to know what exactly happened then, and where Michael actually was during Storm Front and Fool Moon, it would be way out of character for him not to have helped in those situations if he had been around; if he wasn't living in Chicago then, what prompted him to move back, and where did Harry meet him in the first place ?
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Highlander_II

• Conversationalist
  • There can be only one!
    • View Profile
    • Highlander II's Medium-sized Kingdom
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2007, 04:51:46 AM »
Something I noticed that's missing - references to Maggie being an 'associate of DuMorne' - I think McCoy tells Harry about it in BR - don't remember exactly where - but it would be in there sometime either before the Raith stuff or just after.

Also - McCoy worked with Maggie just like he did with Harry - and I *think* she left and hooked up with DuMorne (this stuff is either in BR or PG) - figuring out the 'when' is a little sketchier....

Offline Highlander_II

• Conversationalist
  • There can be only one!
    • View Profile
    • Highlander II's Medium-sized Kingdom
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2007, 04:55:15 AM »
Reread Grave Peril last night, and I have a potential query for placing it in October; Harry's last conversation with Susan takes place with her in a bikini outdoors getting some sun on one of the last warm days of the year - is this plausible for early October on the shores of Lake Michigan, and if not, would moving it back into late September make a big difference ?

GP has to take place in October - there are several references to 'getting close to Halloween' - b/c that's when the barrier between the NeverNever and the mortal world is weakest... also, Susan sends Harry a birthday card - Harry's b'day is Halloween.  GP can't be moved to late-September.  And it is possible for it to be warm in Chicago in late fall - unusual, I'd think, but possible.

(( sorry for the double post... too many thoughts at different times ))
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 04:58:46 AM by Highlander_II »

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2007, 05:08:05 PM »
Just as Amber predicted, I've put together a timeline for the TV Show chronology.  I swear I really do have a life.

Also, "Lydia", for whom I did not see a specific age but whom I was reading as around 19-22, remembers having had a prophetic dream of people trying to kill the President; her being old enough to have had that dream about the Hinckley assassination attempt on Reagan in 1981 also seems a bit of a stretch. [ Assuming she would have to be old enough to remember and make sense of it, and that that was not a dream she had when she was six months old or something. ]

Also also, is the last time Charity saw Harry, when Michael was wounded in some way, being five years before Grave Peril, worth including on the timeline ? The more I think about it the more I want to know what exactly happened then, and where Michael actually was during Storm Front and Fool Moon, it would be way out of character for him not to have helped in those situations if he had been around; if he wasn't living in Chicago then, what prompted him to move back, and where did Harry meet him in the first place ?

Ooh, thanks!  I'll do some digging and see if we can't make sense of some of this stuff!

Offline Bob

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2007, 08:28:17 PM »

From the National Weather service records for Illinois:
ROCKFORD... OCTOBER 3, 1997:   THIS WAS THE SECOND DAY IN A SEVEN DAY HEAT WAVE THAT SENT HIGH TEMPERATURES PAST THE 80 DEGREE MARK. ON THIS DATE...THE HIGH REACHED 90 DEGREES WHICH TIED THE RECORD PREVIOUSLY SET IN 1922. ALTHOUGH THIS WAS THE ONLY RECORD ESTABLISHED OVER THE SEVEN DAY PERIOD...TEMPERATURES WERE AROUND 15 TO 20 DEGREES ABOVE NORMAL.

Rockford is a little to the northwest of Chicago, so that means it was unseasonably warm in Chicago until at least October 8th.  How does 1997 work as a date for GP?  I can't access the first page of this tread at present--every time I try the connection resets.
Solve a man's problem with violence, help him for a day.  Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime!

Offline Shiggy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2007, 08:34:43 PM »
5 BSF:  At age 22-23, Harry starts working with Nicholas Christian ("Nick") at Ragged Angel.  He spent three years there.

Before this he worked as a partner for the 'older crowd' for a ballroom dance class.  It's mentioned in Death Masks (while Harry and Susan are doing their dance escape).  I'll look up the page number when I get home.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2007, 11:31:14 PM »

From the National Weather service records for Illinois:
ROCKFORD... OCTOBER 3, 1997:   THIS WAS THE SECOND DAY IN A SEVEN DAY HEAT WAVE THAT SENT HIGH TEMPERATURES PAST THE 80 DEGREE MARK. ON THIS DATE...THE HIGH REACHED 90 DEGREES WHICH TIED THE RECORD PREVIOUSLY SET IN 1922. ALTHOUGH THIS WAS THE ONLY RECORD ESTABLISHED OVER THE SEVEN DAY PERIOD...TEMPERATURES WERE AROUND 15 TO 20 DEGREES ABOVE NORMAL.

Rockford is a little to the northwest of Chicago, so that means it was unseasonably warm in Chicago until at least October 8th.  How does 1997 work as a date for GP?  I can't access the first page of this tread at present--every time I try the connection resets.

Not possible, alas.  It just barely works with the two "hard and fast" dates we're given (see the timeline), but it's a little too close to them for my liking.  Also, it doesn't quite work with the David Copperfield timeline.  It would have meant that Harry was born in 1968-1969, before Copperfield is even inducted into the Society of American Magicians, which is how he met Malcolm Dresden.

5 BSF:  At age 22-23, Harry starts working with Nicholas Christian ("Nick") at Ragged Angel.  He spent three years there.

Before this he worked as a partner for the 'older crowd' for a ballroom dance class.  It's mentioned in Death Masks (while Harry and Susan are doing their dance escape).  I'll look up the page number when I get home.

Ah, for some reason I thought I already had that listed.  Amazon says p. 204.  I'll add it when I add Neurovore's stuff!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 11:37:34 PM by Priscellie »

Offline Shiggy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2007, 12:55:49 AM »
Yes, 204.

"When I first came to Chicago, I had a bunch of jobs until I hooked up with Nick Christian at Ragged Angel Investigations.  One of them was as a dance partner with a senior-citizen organization."

Offline Bob

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2007, 05:41:31 PM »

(see the timeline), 

Can't.  Connection still resets every time I try to view page 1.
Solve a man's problem with violence, help him for a day.  Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime!

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2007, 06:32:15 PM »

(see the timeline), 

Can't.  Connection still resets every time I try to view page 1.

That's messed up.  Is this a recurring thing?  Ah well.  Here are the two dates I was referring to:

HARD AND FAST DATES:

1994: The Unseelie Incursion, "when the entire city of Milwaukee had simply vanished for two hours. Gone."  It was reported on in the Midwest Arcane and referenced on p. 55 of Storm Front.

1997: The Shroud of Turin was nearly destroyed in a mysterious fire.  According to Harry, this takes place "a few years" before the events of Death Masks, which is 3 ASF in the Dresden calendar.  [DM 28]