Linked Events

• Jim at New York Comic Con: October 08, 2010 - October 10, 2010

Author Topic: Jim at New York Comic Con - Oct 8-10, 2010  (Read 203371 times)

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
Re: Jim at New York Comic Con - Oct 8-10, 2010
« Reply #885 on: October 13, 2010, 02:34:40 PM »
I don't think so.  When I asked Jim if he would be willing to read a snippet of Bob at the dinner, he said, "Potentially."  Didn't happen.  Ah well.
Ohh...I'm just happy someone remembered to ask, cause I'd meant to and completely forgot until after I got home.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: October 13, 2010, 02:49:16 PM »
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, folks, but Jim doesn't want me to post the video of the reading until Februaryish, when the text sample chapters go up for Ghost Story.  He was reading from the pre-beta draft, and he doesn't know what's going to change yet.  He doesn't want a conflicting version of the text in the public eye.

I have no doubt that some of you will manage to finagle copies from other attendees, but out of respect for Jim's wishes, I ask you not to re-post it in any public place, like YouTube, BitTorrent, your blog, your favourite LJ community, etc.  And there is to be absolutely no discussion of the material he read on the forum.  Posting of spoilers from the reading, however mundane, is forbidden.

Yay! So no spoilers!  I was thinking I would have to leave this forum until april :D. And I didn't want to, because I love you folks.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Abeille

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: October 13, 2010, 02:55:23 PM »
Yup.  I'm thrilled to be able to release the video to the fans in Februaryish!  It'll be a treat.

It will be a birthday present for me :D YAY!!!

Offline Magnus

• Posty McPostington
  • Secret Vampire of The Chiro Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: October 13, 2010, 02:55:52 PM »
Yup.  I'm thrilled to be able to release the video to the fans in Februaryish!  It'll be a treat.
Oh that's good :D I was thinking that since it was prebeta  and all, that only the normal textversion sample chapters would be posted in february, this makes it better I was afraid I was never going to see those videos.
Full assed FTW! :)

"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." -Jorge Luis Borges

Offline SunshineDuk

• Participant
  • I like things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: October 13, 2010, 04:08:24 PM »
As a storyteller myself, it was tons of fun to actually hear Jim reading it. As I have heard it said, there are two halves to storytelling--the story and the telling. When we read the books, we really just get the story. Getting it with the proper telling, well, that just made it so much more fun! I'm excited to rewatch (relisten?) when the videos go up on February. :D

~Duk
[SPACE], [LASERS], & [ROBOTS]

Offline Yeratel

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: October 13, 2010, 04:43:03 PM »
Yup.  I'm thrilled to be able to release the video to the fans in Februaryish!  It'll be a treat.
I'll be looking forward to it, I've already put in my pre-order for Ghost Story through the Amazon link on the forum here.  :)
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. " -RAH

Offline tialessa

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: October 13, 2010, 06:03:14 PM »
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, folks, but Jim doesn't want me to post the video of the reading until Februaryish, when the text sample chapters go up for Ghost Story.  He was reading from the pre-beta draft, and he doesn't know what's going to change yet.  He doesn't want a conflicting version of the text in the public eye.
So, to be clear, they WILL be posted for the GS countdown Feb/Mar 2011 even though they're pre-beta? I can wait (dammit)...

PS: I realize I never post, but I registered in 2007 & I've been reading (and re-reading) Jim's stuff since Storm Front was released in my bookstore as I bought it the first week we received it in house...

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #892 on: October 13, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »
So, to be clear, they WILL be posted for the GS countdown Feb/Mar 2011 even though they're pre-beta? I can wait (dammit)...

Yuppers!  That's the plan.

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: October 13, 2010, 07:25:37 PM »
It is a goodly plan.  With much planniness to it.

Worth the wait, my friends.  And worthy of your decloaking as lurkers.
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline whingnut

• Conversationalist
  • @RobJDurand
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: October 13, 2010, 07:57:58 PM »
Now I feel special in my cockles or is it the sub-cockles? Well anyway now I have a neat little secret to carry around till April and then I get to see what if anything has changed. Makes me a wee bit giddy or it could be the meds for this Creeping Crud. Sorry again NYCC folks if I got you ill was not my intent
"Did not see some of it coming AT ALL--crazy ramifications for Dresdenverse" - Anne Sowards 08/03/12 on Twitter regarding Cold Days

Offline Eibhlin

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: October 13, 2010, 11:58:11 PM »

I have no doubt that some of you will manage to finagle copies from other attendees, but out of respect for Jim's wishes, I ask you not to re-post it in any public place, like YouTube, BitTorrent, your blog, your favourite LJ community, etc.  And there is to be absolutely no discussion of the material he read on the forum.  Posting of spoilers from the reading, however mundane, is forbidden.

Understandable.
I just want to say, I had a wonderful time at the dinner, even if Shecky did mostake me for a waitress twice.  (also understandable since I was wearing all black and I'm female and short)  :D I wil hold until to my video until the appropriate time.  ANd Priscillie, you are the best. :)
"All that is gold does not glitter"

Offline Wizard H

• Posty McPostington
  • A.K.A. Wizard H
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: October 14, 2010, 12:00:32 AM »
Would it be bad form to beg one of the attendees to send the video as an email attachment?
This makes me so wish I could have gotten the money together for the con this year... :(
It's like Harry Potter got drunk and lost his virginity to the Ghostbusters.-Denarian XD
DV Wizard H V1.2 YR10 FR4 BK+++ RP++ JB++ TH++ WG+++ CL+++ SW+ BC++ MC++++ SH[Murphy+++++,Molly++,Lara+,Mab--,Maeve---] TT! MS++ MsD-- FF+++

Offline OnlyElise

• Posty McPostington
  • Beware the Tiny Dancing Flower Person!
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: October 14, 2010, 12:33:46 AM »
Also, the whole reading too quite a while, so it would be a simply enormous file that would most likely be too big to be emailed easily, even if broken down into several parts.
She Who Must Be Obeyed. Or at least catered to, occasionally.

Offline Wizard H

• Posty McPostington
  • A.K.A. Wizard H
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: October 14, 2010, 12:35:08 AM »
Curses foiled again.
It's like Harry Potter got drunk and lost his virginity to the Ghostbusters.-Denarian XD
DV Wizard H V1.2 YR10 FR4 BK+++ RP++ JB++ TH++ WG+++ CL+++ SW+ BC++ MC++++ SH[Murphy+++++,Molly++,Lara+,Mab--,Maeve---] TT! MS++ MsD-- FF+++

Offline Koriandr

• Conversationalist
  • rawr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: October 14, 2010, 01:44:25 AM »
Ah darn.... have to wait so many months to hear this now. ^_^;

Thanks for being ready to put it up before Ghost Stories comes out though. :) I can't wait to hear it!

And just to let folks know, yes, Jim's imitation of Bob's voice is hilarious. :D Unfortunately, I ran out of space on my memory card when I recorded his solo panel at D*C, because at the end, someone asked him to imitate it.

To describe it, think of Jim, talking with a nasally voice, a bit faster than usual, and being completely snarky/car salesman in his delivery. Maybe Groucho Marx on helium. XD That's Bob.
"No one delights more in vengeance than a woman." Juvenal, Satires XII

DV Koriandr v1.0 YR6 FR0.5 BK++ RP JB++ !TH WG++ ?CL  SW BC+++ MC+ SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]FF-

Apprentice - Your Dresden Files purity rating is 48.1%