Author Topic: The SPOILERIFIC Ask Robert Wolfe Thread-The Series, in General  (Read 124186 times)

Offline sftv

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: The SPOILERIFIC Ask Robert Wolfe Thread-The Series, in General
« Reply #255 on: April 05, 2007, 05:44:57 PM »
That was a question I had, is there anywhere us obsessive number types can keep up with the ratings?  I have seen them occasionally for a given week, but I would love to know more.  Especially how the series is doing without BSG right next to it, as I would suspect that is a factor the powers that be will take into consideration as to if DF can be an anchor show or if it would always be a bridesmaid to some other heavier hitter.  I figured that since you were holding near BSG numbers on the weeks I saw things weren't horrible in ratings land.

I've been posting the ratings info as I get it on the SciFi Channel Scheduling and Info thread.  Still waiting for some numbers for the first solo outing this past weekend.

Lee Whiteside
SFTV.org

Offline MisterSkippy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 05, 2007, 07:13:01 PM »
I've been posting the ratings info as I get it on the SciFi Channel Scheduling and Info thread.  Still waiting for some numbers for the first solo outing this past weekend.

Lee Whiteside
SFTV.org

That, as I alluded to, is also exactly what I'm curious about.    I also read your longer and older post about SciFi's programming strategy.  I wonder if they'd ever consider a night of Eureka/Dresden with DLM lead in and no wrestling to be seen. 

I like wrestling from time to time, I like SciFi's programming.. But they are not two great tastes that, in my humble opinion, don't go great together.

Offline ButMadNNW

• Conversationalist
  • Trilling the Wire in the Blood (& some psych.)
    • View Profile
    • The Ladies of the Shadow Gallery
« Reply #257 on: April 05, 2007, 07:15:20 PM »

Lee Whiteside
SFTV.org

Not to gall Lee's kibe*, but I'm just the overly helpful type. :) The thread he mentions is here. BTW, Lee, I don't think I've said it in a while - THANK YOU for keeping us up-to-date on those numbers. :)

*points if you get the reference
"I am but mad north-northwest..." ~ Hamlet
"Words will always retain their power." ~ V
"The bag is really devoid of cats!" ~ Harry
"As to errors of opinion, though I am not yet convinced of any, yet I nowhere pretend to infallibility." ~ Daniel Defoe

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 07, 2007, 07:15:10 PM »
Hey Robert.

I know that you guys may not be hearing if you're coming on for a second season until up to this summer. Even though nothing is gaurenteed, it's smart to plan ahead.

With that in mind, have you all ready begun stewing on ideas for Season 2? Do you have anything written? And if you do, can you give us hints? Any returning characters (beyond the obvious)? Any characters from the book you want to bring in for Season 2?

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • ExIsle Net
« Reply #259 on: April 07, 2007, 07:23:54 PM »
Hey Robert.

I know that you guys may not be hearing if you're coming on for a second season until up to this summer. Even though nothing is gaurenteed, it's smart to plan ahead.

With that in mind, have you all ready begun stewing on ideas for Season 2? Do you have anything written? And if you do, can you give us hints? Any returning characters (beyond the obvious)? Any characters from the book you want to bring in for Season 2?

Honestly?  I need to pay my mortgage so I've taken a short term gig on another show ("The 4400").  My days are entirely consumed with thinking about who the hell Isabelle is and what Jordan Collier wants and what's up with Kyle Baldwin.  My last bit of DRESDEN FILES work for this season will be wrapped up Monday morning.

Fear not, though.  My contract with 4400 expires right around when I figure we'll know one way or another if DRESDEN is getting a renewal.  Fingers crossed.  And David and I did talk a little about things we'd like to do next year.  So it wouldn't take us long to gear back up.

Offline Zenkitty_714

• Conversationalist
  • Where's the swag? I want to spend some money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 07, 2007, 07:29:39 PM »
Robert, it's REALLY nice of you to keep coming 'round here to answer our questions when you're working on something else!
Love is the only good reason for anything at all.

Offline Nazgul

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 08, 2007, 01:10:50 AM »
Honestly?  I need to pay my mortgage so I've taken a short term gig on another show ("The 4400").  My days are entirely consumed with thinking about who the hell Isabelle is and what Jordan Collier wants and what's up with Kyle Baldwin.

Excellent, I was already looking forward to the upcoming 4th season of that show. I tend to keep an eye out for you former DS9 guys' names showing up attached to new shows, it's been a good indicator that I'll like it. :)

Offline MisterSkippy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 10, 2007, 12:37:34 PM »
Excellent, I was already looking forward to the upcoming 4th season of that show. I tend to keep an eye out for you former DS9 guys' names showing up attached to new shows, it's been a good indicator that I'll like it. :)

It's strange.. I have been trying to get my wife into the TV series the same way she took 2 years to get me to read the first of the novels.  I mentioned "Well, Robert Wolfe is the executive producer, the guy who did all that DS9 stuff".  And her one question was to hike up an eye brow at me and ask "The early episodes or the later ones???"

But apparently she's a fan of all the later stuff in the series, so all is good.

Offline PamelaHeath

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • PamelaHeath.com
« Reply #263 on: April 10, 2007, 05:15:49 PM »
I checked the credits when I watched this episode again last night and the screenwriter credit went to our friend, Robert Hewett Wolfe. I just have to say that every episode that I have really liked has been written by Robert. I personally wish he could do them all!

Hm. Lets look at this. Like it or hate it in terms of continuity, you have to admit that "Storm Front" was more true to the books than many of the other episodes, and Robert Hewitt Wolfe would have spent extra time on it to sell it as a concept for a series. More time means more direct input. Then we look at "Things that Go Bump," which Robert wrote. Wonderful writing. Great moments. Chock full of classic Harry lines. Very true to the book characters. I'd say Robert not only understands how to produce a good show (and it a terrific writer) but has one heck of a good take on the Dresden universe. I for one, am deeply grateful that he took this project on. Coming on the forum and answering our questions is just icing on the cake. I know how busy he is, but I really hope he doesn't get so caught up in other things that he can't write more episodes. He's GOOD at it.

I see a lot of nit-picking on various threads and complaints about advertising (much needed dollars for a show - I'm glad when ANYONE wants to pay good money, supporting the show, to be seen during the commercial break). Sometimes I feel people have lost sight of the bigger picture. The simple truth is that we owe Robert and his lead stars (Paul Blackthorne and Terrance Mann) our heartfelt gratitude for bringing Butcher's delightful characters even further to life, and in doing it so very well despite the constraints they fight against in terms of time/money/corporate politics. They do a fantastic job.

So, to Robert, Paul, Terrance, and all the others who work on this show and do their best to make it a good one:

THANK YOU!!
THANK YOU!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!

Your efforts are appreciated.
Author of "The PK Zone" and "Suicide: What Really Happens in the Afterlife?"

Offline ButMadNNW

• Conversationalist
  • Trilling the Wire in the Blood (& some psych.)
    • View Profile
    • The Ladies of the Shadow Gallery
« Reply #264 on: April 10, 2007, 05:31:51 PM »
Sometimes I feel people have lost sight of the bigger picture. The simple truth is that we owe Robert and his lead stars (Paul Blackthorne and Terrance Mann) our heartfelt gratitude for bringing Butcher's delightful characters even further to life, and in doing it so very well despite the constraints they fight against in terms of time/money/corporate politics. They do a fantastic job.

So, to Robert, Paul, Terrance, and all the others who work on this show and do their best to make it a good one:

THANK YOU!!
THANK YOU!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!

Your efforts are appreciated.

What she said. :D I for one haven't lost sight of that bigger picture, and I sincerely apologize if I ever sound like I have. I have the utmost respect and admiration for Paul*, Terrence, Robert, Valerie, and everyone else involved with the production. Thanks for all you do!

*(yes, even at my worst "fangirl," I respect the hell out of Paul - he's too talented not to respect him.)
"I am but mad north-northwest..." ~ Hamlet
"Words will always retain their power." ~ V
"The bag is really devoid of cats!" ~ Harry
"As to errors of opinion, though I am not yet convinced of any, yet I nowhere pretend to infallibility." ~ Daniel Defoe

Offline JRBobC

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 12, 2007, 12:32:56 AM »
Hey Mr. Wolfe.  First thanks for taking the time to answer questions and for getting involved with the series.  It is because of you and all the others involved in it that I became a fan of the books. 

I was just curious, how does digital distribution (ala iTunes, or streaming from the scifi site) effect ratings and financing?  I do not have SciFi so the only way that I can watch the Dresden Files is by downloading them thru iTunes (I believe in paying for content dammit).

I ask because every Monday on Scifi.com/scifiwire they show the weekly ratings for their shows.

Hope you get to do a second season, will keep fingers crossed.
Patience is a virtue, patience is a virtue, PATIENCE IS A F***ING VIRTUE.  There, now I might be able to follow it.

Regarding Cover art: "You have no control. If you’re really lucky you get an art director who will let you use Vaseline when he bends you over." -Glen Cook

Offline gahmsw

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 12, 2007, 03:32:36 PM »
Robert,

I don't intentionally want to raise your blood pressure...but....er
Have you see the latest SciFi Magazine issue (June) ? It has Spidey on the cover.

TDF gets some PR as it should in the TV section along with many others. SciFi Mag supporting their own networks' show makes sense from a business and readership pov. Cool.

No problem with that.

However, due to a lag in the production schedule ( One hopes ) the showtime for TDF was wrong. The article centers upon the season finale and then proceeds to detail items from the "What About Bob?" epsiode which all of us have already seen - stating that this Bob ep is the season finale. WTF!

My apologies if this is old news to you. Probably is. As a fan of the show and the magazine I couldn't help but think WTF !! Glad I am not in charge of PR planning for the show I gotta say. Ouch.

Please keep up the good work though Robert, et al.
Love the show. Fingers crossed for a stunning season two.

-Steve
"What you know about women I could juggle."
- Bob the Skull

Offline Sidara

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 12, 2007, 09:07:16 PM »
I saw an older episode list where "What About Bob?" was in fact the season finale, so it's entirely possible if this was true, that the mag went to press on this basis (probably a month or two ago).

Offline If I was Bob...

• Participant
  • I will be back in my skull if you need me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 17, 2007, 01:10:51 AM »
When is the 2 hour stormfront going to be shown????
If I was Bob I would say: "How about we do a positive-side spin, then? Something like, 'Maidens rescued, enchantments broken, villains unmasked, unicorns protected.'"

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • ExIsle Net
« Reply #269 on: April 17, 2007, 03:17:14 AM »
I was just curious, how does digital distribution (ala iTunes, or streaming from the scifi site) effect ratings and financing?  I do not have SciFi so the only way that I can watch the Dresden Files is by downloading them thru iTunes (I believe in paying for content dammit).

No clue, but I'm sure high iTunes sales don't hurt the cause.