Author Topic: The SPOILERIFIC Ask Robert Wolfe Thread-The Series, in General  (Read 124164 times)

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • ExIsle Net
Re: The SPOILERIFIC Ask Robert Wolfe Thread-The Series, in General
« Reply #240 on: March 21, 2007, 06:10:58 AM »
2) I loved Harry's face first glide down the basement stairs in SF.  How much of his own stuntwork does Paul do? 

According to one interview I've heard, he does as little 'stunt' work as possible because it bothers his back.

Paul does a fair amount of stuff, actually.  He's happy to take hits and falls when possible.  I think it's be more accurate to say Paul does as much stunt work as he can while still taking care of his back.

Offline Sidara

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 21, 2007, 06:46:34 AM »
As someone who occasionally suffers from a bad back, I can say that the last thing you want to do is put it out (lying in bed staring at the ceiling is really not very interesting).  And the last thing a show needs is a leading man with a bad back.

I'm glad that Paul seems to know when enough is enough.

For holidays, I recommend Italy, around the Bay of Naples.  I stayed in Sorrento a few years back and it was absolutely fabulous.

Offline Rechan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 21, 2007, 02:57:05 PM »
Robert, I'm curious about something.

How does Murphy justify hiring Harry to her superiors? Most of the cases we've seen, Harry has not really provided anything of substance to the police; the bad guy ends up "disappearing" and things still go unsolved (such as Mr. Crispy's identity and who/how he was killed). The only person that has been arrested was Nancy.

Harry seems more of a liability to the police force than a boon, at this point - he is continually a suspect in crimes (Storm Front, Soul Beneficiary, Hair of the Dog), he's harassing witnesses and rich people while claiming to be a consultant of the police, and he's a freaking wizard being consulted by a cop. Doesn't this raise brows if not ire from Murphy's superiors?

In the books, Murphy operates SI, which Harry can specifically assist, such as giving info on how to fight trolls and sorcerers and the like. But since that doesn't exist in the Show, I don't really see what substantial benefit he is to the Chicago police force.

So, what does Harry offer to the police force, since he's not helping them solve cases? Is he doing things that we don't see that would assist Murphy and thus permit her to justify the expense of a consultant to the police?

Offline alben5k

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 22, 2007, 06:03:05 AM »
Branson, MO? Arkansas?  Not to 'dis' anyone but....HAWAII...Fiji, um...Bora Bora?  Someplace exotic and relaxing.  That's a vacation.

I live on the west coast, so been to Hawaii several times.  Right now I'm thinking Spain.  Especially southern Spain.

God I hate you...
Can I come with you? Please?

Offline Zenkitty_714

• Conversationalist
  • Where's the swag? I want to spend some money.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 22, 2007, 07:15:15 AM »

So, what does Harry offer to the police force, since he's not helping them solve cases? Is he doing things that we don't see that would assist Murphy and thus permit her to justify the expense of a consultant to the police?

I'm guessing he must help out a lot with simpler cases - simpler for him, anyway. When he was checking out the car in Walls, all three of them (Harry, Murphy, and Kirmani) acted like it was nothing unusual for Harry to be poking around a crime scene. Kirmani was snarky about it, of course, but I figure he's one of those folks who, when proved wrong, gets even more uncooperative. :) I like Kirmani. Lot more than I expected to.
Love is the only good reason for anything at all.

Offline Ruadh

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 22, 2007, 01:15:08 PM »
Robert, you could come back to Toronto for a holiday  ;) Really, there are whole days when it's not pouring rain or freezing cold!

Offline uroborus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 23, 2007, 12:05:04 AM »
Hey Robert,

Since Sci Fi just had their upfront party, any word on the Dresden Files?  I just read some interviews on Chud.com regarding Battlestar Galactica, and they stated that both Paul and Terrence Mann were at the party, but no mention of a pick up? I hope so, that's for sure!

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • ExIsle Net
« Reply #247 on: March 24, 2007, 09:42:29 PM »
How does Murphy justify hiring Harry to her superiors? SNIP So, what does Harry offer to the police force, since he's not helping them solve cases? Is he doing things that we don't see that would assist Murphy and thus permit her to justify the expense of a consultant to the police?

He got the skinner in BIRDS, more or less (gas explosion) and rescued a kidnapped boy.  He helped them catch the rogue serial killing FBI agents in HAIR (1 dead, 1 arrested and in the rubber room).  He got them a confession and an arrest in WALLS.   Busted Nancy in SOUL.   Uncovered Boone's co-conspirator in BOONE and showed that Miller murdered Boone.  Found the killer in STORM FRONT too (though admittedly that's clearer in the 2 hour).  Sure, he didn't get much in RULES, but Murphy wasn't his client that time anymore than she was in BLOOD.  His track record is probably way better than your average phony psychic.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • ExIsle Net
« Reply #248 on: March 24, 2007, 09:43:42 PM »
Robert, you could come back to Toronto for a holiday  ;) Really, there are whole days when it's not pouring rain or freezing cold!

As much as I like Toronto, I think I'll wait til Season Two to go back there.  Assuming there is one.   ;D

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • ExIsle Net
« Reply #249 on: March 24, 2007, 09:45:15 PM »
Hey Robert,

Since Sci Fi just had their upfront party, any word on the Dresden Files?  I just read some interviews on Chud.com regarding Battlestar Galactica, and they stated that both Paul and Terrence Mann were at the party, but no mention of a pick up? I hope so, that's for sure!

No word yet.  We're hoping to hear something in the next month or two but it may not be until early summer once SciFi has gotten in their pilots and they're better able to plan out their slate.

Offline chupie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 24, 2007, 09:56:22 PM »
Hey Robert,

No word yet.  We're hoping to hear something in the next month or two but it may not be until early summer once SciFi has gotten in their pilots and they're better able to plan out their slate.

ARRRRRRRRGGGGHHHhhh!

Offline Shadow

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 25, 2007, 12:46:23 AM »
Regarding vactions-

Spain is an excellent idea.  Southern Spain sounds even better!  Oddly enough I have a co-worker who is there currently  :)

Any suggestions on how to help convince SF to continue Dresden?  Thanks for the great job you do.  I enjoy  :)

Offline alben5k

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 01, 2007, 03:29:11 AM »
Now that you've gone through most of the series and you've seen the reactions, in your opinion what makes a good Dresden episode? What makes a good episode for any series in general?

Offline Psyche

• Participant
  • I don't get the SciFi Channel!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 04, 2007, 04:26:48 AM »
As I understand it, as per previous post replies ,we won't hear official news on a new season for a couple of months, ok. My question is then, when can we expect the first season out on DVD. I haven't seen it come up yet in topic and was wondering, and can't wait to see the episodes in better quaility as I watch them at Scifi.com.

P.S. I love the fact you can watch them on-line, by the way.
Sleep is god. Go worship. - The Dresden Files, Death Masks

Offline MisterSkippy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 05, 2007, 05:25:45 PM »
Pretty happy so far.  I'd love it if the rating were about 25% to 50% higher, but Sunday nights are tough sledding.

That was a question I had, is there anywhere us obsessive number types can keep up with the ratings?  I have seen them occasionally for a given week, but I would love to know more.  Especially how the series is doing without BSG right next to it, as I would suspect that is a factor the powers that be will take into consideration as to if DF can be an anchor show or if it would always be a bridesmaid to some other heavier hitter.  I figured that since you were holding near BSG numbers on the weeks I saw things weren't horrible in ratings land.

Given my very limited play-time, is it really worth leveling my human mage up to 70?  Or should I just transfer all her gold to my undead priest?

You'll always end up regretting mothballing an alt when you want to go back to it later ;)  (70 dwarf warrior and 70 NE Hunter speaking here from experience...)  Although I also have horde side alts on my server (PvE to double play the AH's against one another...)  Also you mentioned being a geek for thinking CC meant Crowd Control.  When you said that I immediately thought "But if Harry learned to sheep things it would pretty much be breaking one of the rules about transformation.. right?!?!?!"  He should still be able to ice block things up though.

Now my more pressing question.

Any plans currently on getting around to the Wizard McCoy? And if so, any spoilers on how his relationship to Harry would be since it's reasonably obvious he didn't get to spend his formative years training under him in the series, as he did in the books?