Author Topic: The SPOILERIFIC Ask Robert Wolfe Thread-The Series, in General  (Read 124179 times)

Offline Shiggy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: The SPOILERIFIC Ask Robert Wolfe Thread
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2007, 04:40:56 AM »
Hey Robert, I know your busy, and we keep slamming you with questions, but I just wanted to reask about my transcript.  Can I post it online as long as I have the "written by, directed by, etc" attached to the transcript?  Or is that still considered copywrite infringement?

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • ExIsle Net
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2007, 05:09:44 PM »
Hey Robert, I know your busy, and we keep slamming you with questions, but I just wanted to reask about my transcript.  Can I post it online as long as I have the "written by, directed by, etc" attached to the transcript?  Or is that still considered copywrite infringement?

Errr, actually, pretty sure that would be copyright infringement.  The publishing rights to the script belong to the original writer, in this case Peter Egan.  I've published a few of my own scripts online, but since I hold the publishing rights, I can do that.  I don't think anyone else can, especially not without permission, even if it's a recreated transcript.  You could certainly quote sections of the script for commentary, review, or discussion, since that's fair use.  But publishing a transcript of the entire thing sounds iffy.

NOTE:  I am not a lawyer and am not licensed to practice law in the U.S. or Canada.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • ExIsle Net
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2007, 05:12:21 PM »
Robert...in the books, Harry tends to use words to focus his magic, like Forzare and FlambegoFlicim Bicus ...will we see any of that, or was that tossed aside due to non-book readers not being able to tell that he's perverting using latin?

It was decided not to use "magic words" since it felt too reminiscent of Harry Potter.

Will those type of spells even be in the series, or is that what you meant when you said there will be less magic being tossed around?

There will definitely still be spells, including flying staffs and fire blasts and such.  Just not with the words.

And do we ever get to hear Blackthorne deliver the infamous line "Stupid latin correspondence course...?"

Well, Bob rips him for his horrible French at one point, so it's certainly possible.

Because I have a sneaking feeling he'd nail it.

Me too.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • ExIsle Net
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2007, 05:17:07 PM »
When do we get to see Harry's Office?

You've seen it, oh Great Grognard of the Internet.  It's a storefront attached to his apartment, which is a walkdown in back and at street level by the time you get to the front.

And for the record, there is an Elmal.  There has always been an Elmal.  Everything you know about Yelmalio is a lie.  Thank you for playing.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2007, 07:11:58 PM »
It was decided not to use "magic words" since it felt too reminiscent of Harry Potter.  There will definitely still be spells, including flying staffs and fire blasts and such.  Just not with the words.

That just makes me sad.  It's not like Potter is the first wizard to use spellwords.  It's times like these that make me almost wish you guys *had* changed Harry's name to Erik for the TV show, so people would be less inclined to make comparisons between the two series.  I'm amazed that the Potter books are having such a (in this fan's view) detrimental effect on the Dresden TV series.  Yay spells and flying staffs and fire blasts, but... man.  I'm going to miss that aspect of the books.

When do we get to see Harry's Office?
You've seen it, oh Great Grognard of the Internet.  It's a storefront attached to his apartment, which is a walkdown in back and at street level by the time you get to the front.

Coolness!  Ooh, I like.

And for the record, there is an Elmal.  There has always been an Elmal.  Everything you know about Yelmalio is a lie.  Thank you for playing.

Okay, even after googling, I'm still stumped.  Care to let the unenlightened among us in on the joke? :D

Offline whoknowswhy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2007, 07:17:30 PM »
Priscillie, I am really glad that I am not the only one who could make absolutely no sense out of that.  I tried anagrams and everything.  Some help here, Robert...pretty please?
Forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission.

Offline Hawkfu

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2007, 07:23:42 PM »
That just makes me sad.  It's not like Potter is the first wizard to use spellwords.  It's times like these that make me almost wish you guys *had* changed Harry's name to Erik for the TV show, so people would be less inclined to make comparisons between the two series.  I'm amazed that the Potter books are having such a (in this fan's view) detrimental effect on the Dresden TV series.  Yay spells and flying staffs and fire blasts, but... man.  I'm going to miss that aspect of the books.

I completely agree. Harry Potter (a series I love) hardly invented the magic word. I think any comparisons made between the two would end after watching The Dresden Files and seeing how completely different they are. It's kind of insulting to the audience to think that it wouldn't.

wlg

Offline Abstruse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace Page
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2007, 10:41:45 PM »
Still never gotten an answer...humor?  Smart-ass?  Snark?  Will we be getting more than the itty bitty teeny weeny microscopic taste we got last week?  Pretty please?

The Abstruse One
Darryl Mott Jr.

Offline Bob

• Posty McPostington
  • The Snark Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2007, 12:32:04 AM »
Solve a man's problem with violence, help him for a day.  Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime!

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • ExIsle Net
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2007, 01:22:36 AM »

Okay, even after googling, I'm still stumped.  Care to let the unenlightened among us in on the joke? :D

No.   ;D

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • ExIsle Net
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2007, 01:24:09 AM »
Still never gotten an answer...humor?  Smart-ass?  Snark?  Will we be getting more than the itty bitty teeny weeny microscopic taste we got last week?  Pretty please?

Bit more next week.  Week after that is somewhat of a romance, kinda, so the same or less.  Week after more.  Week after that, still yet again more.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • ExIsle Net
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2007, 01:32:00 AM »
For what it's worth:

http://www.etyries.com/journeys/elmal.htm

Oh, that's just the tip of the iceberg in the great Elmal/Yelmalio Retcon Incident.  The last little vestige of a vast and angry debate.  The internet fury was great!  Teeth were gnashed!  Flame wars devestated huge swaths of internet bandwidth.

It was horrible.  Only now, in these dark days of arguing over set layouts, props and show cars have I see the fires threaten to light with such fervor again.  Please, God, I pray to Thee, lead us not down that terrible path once again!

Just remember, there was always an Elmal.  Any time you remember when there was not an Elmal is a false memory.  Yelmalio is a God-Learner plot to confuse you. 

Also Joseph Sisko was never dead.  No matter what you heard Sisko say.   
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 01:37:13 AM by Robert Wolfe »

Offline whoknowswhy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2007, 02:13:31 AM »

No.   ;D

Snot!     :P

Oh, that's just the tip of the iceberg in the great Elmal/Yelmalio Retcon Incident.  The last little vestige of a vast and angry debate.  The internet fury was great!  Teeth were gnashed!  Flame wars devestated huge swaths of internet bandwidth.

It was horrible.  Only now, in these dark days of arguing over set layouts, props and show cars have I see the fires threaten to light with such fervor again.  Please, God, I pray to Thee, lead us not down that terrible path once again!

Just remember, there was always an Elmal.  Any time you remember when there was not an Elmal is a false memory.  Yelmalio is a God-Learner plot to confuse you. 

And THAT only adds to my confusion.  Of course, it might be the Nyquil I just took.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 02:16:11 AM by whoknowswhy »
Forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission.

Offline Shiggy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2007, 03:23:43 AM »
Would that be the DS9 Sisko?

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2007, 04:36:02 AM »
For what it's worth:

http://www.etyries.com/journeys/elmal.htm

This lends me to wonder if there's some tie in between the Gnomes of Zurich, Eris, Kevin Sorbo, the Mormons, Elvis, Pope Cerebus, the Church of the Subgenius, The King in Yellow, Dirk Gently, Harold Waldrop, Joe Landsdale, and Babe the Big Blue Ox's left....nevermind.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick