Author Topic: The SPOILERIFIC Ask Robert Wolfe Thread-The Series, in General  (Read 126387 times)

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
The SPOILERIFIC Ask Robert Wolfe Thread-The Series, in General
« on: January 18, 2007, 09:57:11 PM »
 I thought I'd create a thread specifically aimed at Robert to check when he can, in order for some questions to avoid being buried in time.

However, we have to be careful and not flood this thread with random questions. So, rules of this thread:

1) No questions obviously aimed at plot points that will be revealed later in the show.

2) Nothing personal, in this thread. This is for Dresden Files TV show questions, only. If he deviates, well, he's allowed.

3) Don't discuss or derail the thread. If you want to discuss something he's said, make your own thread and quote him.  He can come in that thread and discuss it with you...the point of this thread isn't a one-stop shop for all things Robert, but simply a place where he can see  questions and answer them. If we get into discussions, this thread will wander all over the place (something I normally don't mind, but this thread is an exception).

4) Please do your homework before asking a question...see if you can find the answers elsewhere, first. Unlike some, I do not mind when someone new to the boards asks a question that's been discussed to death, but if an answer is readily answerable elsewhere, then it's a waste of breath in this particular thread. Please also note that there's a FAQ forum near the top of this board. At the time of this writing, it's a tad threadbare, but it is growing.
http://www.jim-butcher.com/bb/index.php/topic,430.new.html#new

5) Bear in mind he may choose to be obtuse or outright not answer a question. He has a show to protect.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 05:49:34 PM by Mickey Finn »
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • ExIsle Net
Re: The SPOILERIFIC Ask Robert Wolfe Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 04:48:28 AM »
5) Bear in mind he may choose to be obtuse or outright not answer a question. He has a show to protect.

I may also be snarky.  I have a high quotient of snark.  I only make one promise.  I promise never to say "Don't make me hunt you down and bitch-slap you" to anyone who posts questions for me or comments about my work on the internet. At least, not again.*

* Okay, there was that one time.  And I didn't mean it.  And it all worked out.

Offline cbmurphy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 02:02:44 PM »
OK, then, a question (well, two) about the series before it hits the airwaves:

* How & when will it be determined whether the series is picked up to continue for second and consecutive seasons?

and related to that

* How might we as viewers best support the show to help ensure that we might enjoy second and consecutive seasons?

So far, I like what I little I have seen of the Dresden Files as a series, and certainly am avidly supporting the books from which it has been derived.  However this is me speaking as someone who has felt burned by television networks in general and the Sci-Fi channel in particular.  I would rather not see this show go the way of Firefly or Farscape.
Malt does more than Milton can, to justify God's ways to man.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 05:47:10 PM »
So far, I like what I little I have seen of the Dresden Files as a series, and certainly am avidly supporting the books from which it has been derived.  However this is me speaking as someone who has felt burned by television networks in general and the Sci-Fi channel in particular.  I would rather not see this show go the way of Firefly or Farscape.

Let's make that "the way of Firefly", which never even got a full season.

Farscape, by contrast, while it did get a sudden and nasty cancellation, only got that after several years of full seasons getting aired.  Good ones, too.  So while the manner of its cancellation was objectionable, the fans did at least get a lot of episodes out of that time.  If the Dresden Files gets a similar number of years on the air, I honestly think that won't be so bad.  Would more be great?  Yes.  But I don't necessarily hold Farscape as the low water mark.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline kimluvs2read

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 07:14:41 PM »
I didn't support Firefly, and never watched Farscape. I watched all of Firefly on DVD though and that show had so much potential, FOX was just stupid to not give it a better chance and more advertising.

But I am supporting and watching and telling anyone who will listen to watch The Dresden Files on SCIFI at 9pm on Sunday nights!

So I am hoping I am not the only one doing this, so the show will get a ten year run, at least!
very respectfully,
Kim :)

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 07:28:17 PM »
I never missed an episode of firefly when it aired, and I supported the hell out of it. It didn't make that much of a diff then. However the big difference between firefly and Dresden is Sci-Fi is doing everything they can to promote the show, where Fox did everything they could to kill Firefly.
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline cbmurphy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 08:29:39 PM »
I included Farscape more from the perspective of how and where I developed a certain amount of distrust for Sci-Fi channel in its handling of properties.  It would have been more appropriate perhaps to team it with The Invisible Man, which was also an interesting and fair series that didn't last very long with them.

Farscape did get four seasons, and it was too easy for me to forget that it was treated well for the first two seasons, and fairly for the third. 

Firefly is more of a cautionary tale from other networks, and points to what kind of support can we possibly provide to help a show out.  While it did not prevent Firefly from being cancelled and did not bring it back to the air (like Family Guy), it did lead to a feature length film. 

Regardless, the point of the questions is to find out how we can best support the sereis.
Malt does more than Milton can, to justify God's ways to man.

Offline Mario Di Giacomo

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 11:42:08 AM »
Only one real question:

Will Harry be doing more magic in later episodes?  As a poster on another thread put it, the first ep needed more "earth-shattering ka-boom" :)
Mario Di Giacomo

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 01:03:06 PM »
Any prelim numbers on the ratings for the first ep?
If so, how did they compare to what was desired by the powers that be?
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • ExIsle Net
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 04:39:04 PM »
OK, then, a question (well, two) about the series before it hits the airwaves:

* How & when will it be determined whether the series is picked up to continue for second and consecutive seasons?

Unclear.  The network will get the numbers and crunch them in mystical ways then make a decision when the stars are right.  IE Whenever they damn well feel like it. 

* How might we as viewers best support the show to help ensure that we might enjoy second and consecutive seasons?

Watch the show, tell your friends to watch, and send supportive feedback to SciFi.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • ExIsle Net
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 04:57:45 PM »
Only one real question:

Will Harry be doing more magic in later episodes?  As a poster on another thread put it, the first ep needed more "earth-shattering ka-boom" :)

Yep, more, but never as much as in the books.  Creatively, the TV show will be less magic heavy than the books, a little closer to our world.  So Murphy is just a detective, there's no SI department that knows about and investigates supernatural cases.  Dresden works magic more reluctantly, and it costs him more physically.  Magic is hard. 

That's not to say we don't have some pretty big magical moments coming up, just don't expect any buildings to blow up this season.  Unless they do.

Offline Willowhugger

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The United Federation of Charles
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 05:50:56 PM »
Hey Robert,

A couple of spoileriffic questions here.

1. Is Justin actually supposed to be Harry's Uncle in this series?

That seems to be perfectly valid in the context of Maggie's evil witchery history in the books but it occurred to me that "uncle" is also what a 'too close' friend of the family relation might also be called.

Hell, if Maggie died without ever talking about her family then Justin could show up without ever having to do anything but pretend to be family.

And if its a story point, feel free to just answer with "That would be telling" or "Harry BELIEVES he's his Uncle or thinks of him as one"

2. Is Harry's bad reputation going to be build up slowly with the High Council?

Let's face it, tonight he's interfered with their "Magician Protection Program" for a kid (Justin seems to have a thing for young wizards) and he's peripherally related to a death of their librarian (I almost said Archivist)

I was curious if this was deliberate.

and one odd question.

3. Justin looks like a real wizard.  Are most of the older magicians going to be spooky in that respect?

Just curious.  Harry and the High Council girl were presumably born in the modern age.
Check out my blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Twitter: @Willowhugger

Offline casualimp

• Participant
  • Right behind you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »
Firstly, was there any presure from the Canadian film board to give it that "filmed in Canada" feel? A lot of Canadian dramas have a certain look and feel to how they translate stories to film and Dresden had that  feel to it for me. Hopefully that isn't taken negatively as that was not my intent.

Secondly, as I've read final draft to the Storm Front script, is that being re-arranged as the season final as episodes 10-11 or a possible cliffhanger?

Keep up the great work all of you. I really enjoyed the first episode and look forward to adding it to my collection when released on DVD.
One foot by the dark tide;
Third eye to the light
I'm seeing everything you thought
Could never be real.

Offline Hawkfu

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 10:08:14 PM »
Actually I have a question for Robert. First off, thanks for the open dialog with the fans. Seriously cool of you. I'll admit to being one of the not as happy as they wanted to be types - but absolutely staying tuned to see how the show develops.
My question is this, I was just curious why the decision was made to make the show stand alone stories rather than arc based stories? I ask this only because it seems that the landscape of tv has changed a lot and the more arc based storytelling has gained considerable popularity. Shows like Lost, Grey's Anatomy, 24, and Battlestar Galactica are all arc based shows and all very successfull. I was curious why it was decided to take a property that has that already built in and then remove that aspect in favor of stand alone episodes?

Just curious. Thanks for your time.

wlg

Offline BigMama

• Posty McPostington
  • Bemused and Beguiled
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 11:43:36 PM »
Robert, is the diner intended to take the place of McAnally's? Will we not be able to sit down to a brew with our mysterious bar owner, Mac?
Words in the heart cannot be taken. Dorfl