Author Topic: Wierd Character Ideas  (Read 13419 times)

Offline srl51676

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Wierd Character Ideas
« on: February 27, 2010, 06:21:05 AM »
Ok I just had a thought. would it be possible to work a character that had little or no physical being such as a ghost of being of pure spirit like Bob (at much reduced power OFC). This was just a spur of the moment idea thought I would just throw it out there.
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur.
"The world wants to be deceived, so let it be deceived."

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
Re: Wierd Character Ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 12:34:37 PM »
I think it would be a great idea for a secondary character who can accomplish things that your more fleshy primary character could not.  I think someone brought an idea like this in one of the Rick Neal Q/As as being better as an aspect rather than an NPC or a full on PC.  The limitations might be a bit much for being a primary character though (no going out in daylight without a host, etc).

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 03:23:48 PM »
Ok I just had a thought. would it be possible to work a character that had little or no physical being such as a ghost of being of pure spirit like Bob (at much reduced power OFC). This was just a spur of the moment idea thought I would just throw it out there.
Completely intangible characters are costly (in terms of the power set), and speaking as someone who has run a game for a player who wanted one (in a much earlier version), they're very, very difficult to wrangle alongside a regular play-group.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Chuck Chuck Razool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 07:57:07 AM »
I have 2 character concepts that I've thought about.

1. A character who's main motivation is to disseminate as much information about the magical world at large to the general public. This includes street corner 'performances' in which they gather a crowd and performs acts of harmless but undeniable magic.

2.A sort of artificer who's particular talent in magic is making enchanted items and is obsessed with discovering a way around the murphyonic field.
"There's a voice that comes from everywhere, and it's not saying anything."

Offline traeki

• Participant
  • Philippe is standing on it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 08:12:13 AM »
1.  At what point does magic become "undeniable"?  When it puts men on the moon?  When it systematically kills millions of people?  ::purses lips::  People are resolute ostriches, man.

2.  An artificer specializing in enchanted items would be extremely straightforward to create.  There's a stripped down kind of Thaumaturgy that's practically tailor-made for this purpose.
John Hawkins, SF, CA

"mFphrrrbm hoAmn rggh, hnllmmgh rnbnrrl."  --Demosthenes, "The Early Works"

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 08:05:09 PM »
I would say opening a rift to the nevernever and flat out vanishing before someone's eyes is pretty near it. Calling up winds to come in from different directions, or making a tiny whirlwind. If I saw someone do that I'd be sold.

Offline Deadmanwalking

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 08:17:52 PM »
I would say opening a rift to the nevernever and flat out vanishing before someone's eyes is pretty near it. Calling up winds to come in from different directions, or making a tiny whirlwind. If I saw someone do that I'd be sold.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that, with modern techniques, good stage magicians in real life can duplicate the visual effects of both of those. If I saw them on a random street corner, I might be convinced (a good stage magician wouldn't waste the prep-work necessary for those kinds of things like that), but a fair number of people really wouldn't be.

Still, it's a goal, maybe not an achievable one, but progress could be made towards it.

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 08:19:15 PM »
1. A character who's main motivation is to disseminate as much information about the magical world at large to the general public. This includes street corner 'performances' in which they gather a crowd and performs acts of harmless but undeniable magic.
I guess the concern I have with this character concept is that if your character ever "wins" then the campaign "loses." In other words, the Dresdenverse is kind of neat because of the assumption that there is magic but no one knows about it and no one believes in it. Once you get to the point where the world says "hey, there is magic" and everyone decides to learn a few spells, you have a very different campaign. A lot like the MagiTech sourcebook for TSR's Amazing Engine game system. Could be fun, but I'm not sure it's Dresden-like anymore.

Just my two cents.
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline traeki

• Participant
  • Philippe is standing on it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 10:38:49 PM »
Actually, I'm pretty sure that, with modern techniques, good stage magicians in real life can duplicate the visual effects of both of those. If I saw them on a random street corner, I might be convinced (a good stage magician wouldn't waste the prep-work necessary for those kinds of things like that), but a fair number of people really wouldn't be.

Still, it's a goal, maybe not an achievable one, but progress could be made towards it.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was getting at.  Could certainly be a fun character idea, but probably he shouldn't succeed, or be well liked by the supernatural community.  Keeping in mind that "calling in the mortal authorities is like setting off a tacnuke", trying to tell everybody everything is like losing tic-tac-toe in the situation room.  I'm guessing the attempts don't go over well.  =)
John Hawkins, SF, CA

"mFphrrrbm hoAmn rggh, hnllmmgh rnbnrrl."  --Demosthenes, "The Early Works"

Offline mrsleep

• Conversationalist
  • I eat children. Just sayin'...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 12:09:13 AM »
Seriously, have you never watched Mind Freak?  For every one convert you'd have a dozen people quickly putting it out of mind and fifty saying Chris Angel does it better.

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 09:20:47 PM »
Seriously, have you never watched Mind Freak?  For every one convert you'd have a dozen people quickly putting it out of mind and fifty saying Chris Angel does it better.

Chris angel is all TV trickery. canned audiences and such. Sorry for derailing the thread here.

Here's another one.

A powerful telekinetic whose spells are built strongly around his internal visualization of ropes and pulleys.
-Making like a lasso movement with his hand and then yanking a fire hydrant out of the ground and using it as the weight for a meteor hammer.
-invisible zip line only he can use.
-other ropey things.

Offline mrsleep

• Conversationalist
  • I eat children. Just sayin'...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 10:59:57 PM »
Was thinking about a minor talent that could summon a monstrous form. Basically creating an eight foot+ ectoplasmic suit of armor complete with extra strength and maybe weapons (claws and spikes).  Would work as a PC or villain.

chiTROUBLEina

Killer tag  ;)

Offline chadu

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Atomic Sock Monkey Press
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 01:52:07 PM »
Over-influenced by reading Lucha Libre HERO, but a mystical luchador along the lines of El Santo (or some of the example Technicos in LLH) could RAWK in a Dresden Files game.
Chad Underkoffler
Atomic Sock Monkey Press

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 02:44:29 PM »
Chris angel is all TV trickery. canned audiences and such. Sorry for derailing the thread here.

Not so much. My wife and I went to one of his shows. Not TV trickery, and we were definitely not canned.

Thread re-railed. ;D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline skakid

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 05:16:36 PM »

It's almost begging for an aspect like "Why won't you believe me?"  Something where the guy is always right and knows something especially when it seems outrageous.