Author Topic: going off the beaten path and then new books  (Read 4017 times)

Offline Ancalagon

• Participant
    • View Profile
going off the beaten path and then new books
« on: February 16, 2010, 12:58:47 AM »
Hello

I'm going to use the jade court here, but really, this example applies to almost anything.

So, the game master decides that he wants to surprise the group with something new - not from the book, and introduces the Jade court, and the PC have to deal with them (fight, negociate, whatever).  (or it could be voodoo zombies, gnomes of zurich, dragons, whatever).   The system is flexible, the game master is creative, the players have a great time, and everyone is happy.  So much so that the jade court/etc become a regular feature of the game.

Then Jim releases a book where the Jade court/etc is heavily features, and it's completely different! 

This problem is in no way unique to The Dresden Files (Forgotten Realms, I'm looking at you!) but I would still like to hear people's comments and advice on the issue...

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
Re: going off the beaten path and then new books
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 01:07:40 AM »
My advice to you is to Hand Wave away the differences if they occur. It's really the only thing you can do unless you want an alternate continuity.

For something like the Jade Court, just say that this family of Jade Court are different from the main stream. You could also just come out to the group and say, "Look, I surprised you earlier with the then unexplored Jade Court. Now that JB has explored it...."
Your group should understand if this happens in your home game.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 01:08:12 AM »
The point at which you start your own game, you're taking ownership of the Dresdenverse.  If Jim offers up new material afterwards, well, that's *his* Dresdenverse. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 02:15:29 AM »
If I make up a thingy for my game and then Jim goes and makes the same thing differently in the books, I'll say, "Eh," shrug, and keep running things the way I have been. If I think his way is cool, I might run things like that next game.

The way I run games, everything from the source material is there, right up until the moment I start running my game. Then new source material tends to get ignored.

Offline srl51676

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 05:02:44 AM »
I have to agree. If your Jade court is a major part of your universe then keep them as is and hand wave it. If it was a one off then just pretend it never happened and work in the "cannon" version. personaly I am already compiling a list of alternate sources for ideas that fit well with the style. If others are interested check out the following
 * Neverwhere and Stardust by Neil Gaiman (great fodder for the near and far sections of the Nevernever)
* Thirteen Orphans by  Jane Lyndskold (alternate style of eastern magic based on majong tiles and Chinese zodiac)
* Dead Like Me- A Showtime original series about grim reapers (if you have not seen this watch it. available on net flix instant que)
* The Incarnations of Immortality by Piers Anthony (sci/fi fantasy set in the near future more than likely inspired Dead Like Me)
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur.
"The world wants to be deceived, so let it be deceived."

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 06:42:27 PM »
A couple of things come to mind here.

1. If Jim's material differs from your own, you could make a gradual change towards his. First, your leader of the Jade Court (or whatever) might step down, or a newcomer (Jim's) could overthrow power. You can make this gradual or quick, depending upon how it works in your plotlines.

2. You could just tell your players "I want to follow the canon Dresdenverse and this was just released, so we're making some changes" and I suspect the players will be fine with it.

In my experience, players are more interested in the game than in details of continuity.
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
There's always plenty of scope for the classic "They told you they were the- *blinks* Man, you fell for that?" option :)
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 01:37:06 AM »
Yup, that's the issue with homebrews based on a living book/campaign world; the authors might do something wacky and different. :D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline finarvyn

• Conversationalist
  • White Knight of Chicago
    • View Profile
    • OD&D Discussion
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 03:05:49 AM »
Yup, that's the issue with homebrews based on a living book/campaign world; the authors might do something wacky and different. :D
The moral of the story is to only game in "dead" worlds.

For example, Tolkien hasn't written much new material since his death in the 1970's, so there's a good chance that he won't contradict anything now that he said back then. Well, of course there's the Children of Hurin book, which was published well after his death....  Okay, maybe Zelazny's Amber. That can't change, right? Oh, I forgot about the Betancourt prequel novels. Guess you can't pick that one, either.

Well, there must be some "dead" world that is still interesting....  8)
Marv / Finarvyn
Greater Warden of Chicago
Dresden Files RPG Playtester
I support Colonial Gothic and Thousand Suns
OD&D Player since 1975

Offline breaker

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 03:31:21 AM »
The moral of the story is to only game in "dead" worlds.

For example, Tolkien hasn't written much new material since his death in the 1970's, so there's a good chance that he won't contradict anything now that he said back then. Well, of course there's the Children of Hurin book, which was published well after his death....  Okay, maybe Zelazny's Amber. That can't change, right? Oh, I forgot about the Betancourt prequel novels. Guess you can't pick that one, either.

Well, there must be some "dead" world that is still interesting....  8)

Of course, people have been talking about it around here since I joined.
Buffy.

Offline Sorryman105

• Posty McPostington
  • Come into the dungeon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 05:36:08 AM »

Like oh blow up the planet and kill some Gods.
Forevermore we shall giggle and snicker in our rightful place, this place, OUR BAR!

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 03:24:57 AM »
Buffy.

Such a perfect fit for FATE. I seriously can't watch episodes without mentally narrating what's happening at the imaginary gaming table producing what I'm watching, and it always comes out in terms of FATE. Especially season two.

Offline MacsNewBrew

• Conversationalist
  • Lurking faithfully since 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 03:37:54 AM »
The point at which you start your own game, you're taking ownership of the Dresdenverse.  If Jim offers up new material afterwards, well, that's *his* Dresdenverse. :)

So, by this can one infer that material (such as the Archive and its knowledge, or lack thereof, of electronic only information) is canon up to the divergence of the RPG-verse and main-verse? Well, at least as far as Harry knows.... At least for purposes of winning arguments in the spoiler board :D

And, for a pen-n-paper n00b, I find this absolutely amazing. I already have a Crown Royal Bag full of glass bead thingies from the Walmart craft section for fate points (ok and for epically long games of The Dread Pirate, a rote board game I love)
another one of those discussions about Heaven and God and the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Offline LCDarkwood

• Warden
  • Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 08:46:23 AM »
So, by this can one infer that material (such as the Archive and its knowledge, or lack thereof, of electronic only information) is canon up to the divergence of the RPG-verse and main-verse?

Well, you have to take into account the following:

* It may not be canon in the actual Dresden Files that Billy wrote this game.

* Even if it were, the contents of the game represent Billy's best educated guess on how the universe works, and that's it.

-Lenny

Offline SaintAndSinner

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Playtester (Bleeding Alpha)
    • View Profile
    • A Saint And A Sinner
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 06:44:31 PM »
Plus alternative takes on a well know canon may be very fun (lots of Amber games can attest to this).   ;D
"Before you speak, it is necessary for you to listen, for God speaks in the silence of the heart."
Blessed Mother Teresa, Ora Pro Nobis