Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1103204 times)

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #1125 on: July 16, 2010, 02:32:12 AM »
Well hey, at least we know it would be Alexis Denisof as Harry and Erica Cera as Susan.  :)

Very true :)
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: July 16, 2010, 01:09:44 PM »
Well hey, at least we know it would be Alexis Denisof as Harry and Erica Cera as Susan.  :)

Erica Cera has recently broken into the silver screen with Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief, I don't know if that movie sucked or not, but nonetheless she has made the transition, so it gives her clout to play Susan in a movie adaptation.

Denisof....... ??? Don't get me wrong, I think he fits the part, but in reality, the general public would not go watch a movie "starring" Alexis Denisof, he isn't that established. Additionally Denisof is 44, if your going to go that old might as well cast Clive Owen or Hugh Jackman and draw in the crowd. On the other hand the younger Ryan Renolds and Chris Evans are also Hollywood, and would draw in the crowd too. Admittedly my choice would be Lee Pace. I would say here or Zachary Quinto but he isn't snarky enough.

Which is precisely why this is called "fantasy/dream casting" and not "reality casting"  :P

*and my two cents about who Butcher picks is this, what author has ever had control over who was cast for their book to movie adaptations? none, because they are authors not movie producers/directors. You think J.K. Rowling got to pick the cast for Harry Potter? How about J. R. R. Tolkien?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 01:40:35 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #1127 on: July 16, 2010, 01:39:11 PM »
Erica Cerra as Susan.  :)

eh? why her?
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: July 16, 2010, 01:41:51 PM »
eh? why her?

Well I was just agreeing that she could pull it off since that was Jim's choice.
*see above for my opinion on Jim's choices.

But she wouldn't have been my first choice. I would have went with like Roselyn Sanchez....maybe, she does action fairly well, alla Rush Hour 2.

I like Eva Longoria but she doesn't fit the role.
And no one better dare suggest Jennifer Lopez or Eva Mendes. *yak* I can't stand Eva Mendes, Ghost Rider was bad enough, but she was the icing on the cake. And why is she always shiny, is her skin really oily, that's gross.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 02:10:02 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline Jaeh

• Posty McPostington
  • Lol AWOL
    • View Profile
    • Everything's Platonic
« Reply #1129 on: July 16, 2010, 01:43:06 PM »
Well I was just agreeing that she could pull it off since that was Jim's choice. But she wouldn't have been my first choice.

ohhhhhh she's jim's choice... I didn't know, that's why I asked. :D

awwww, this time, I don't see it in my mind's eye. heh. xD but, hey, she's jim's choice, so. :D
DV Jaeh v1.0 YR0.83 FR0.75 BK+ JB TH++ WG+++ CL++ SW BC- ?MC RP FF++- SH[Murphy+++++ Molly-]
I'm a classic narcissist - there's just nothing to be narcissistic about.

Offline Ivu

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: July 16, 2010, 03:41:59 PM »
*and my two cents about who Butcher picks is this, what author has ever had control over who was cast for their book to movie adaptations? none, because they are authors not movie producers/directors. You think J.K. Rowling got to pick the cast for Harry Potter? How about J. R. R. Tolkien?
I remember watching a few interviews in which Jim talks about some things that he wishes he had more control over. He barely has any control over the book covers, odds are he won't have much imput for the casting of a movie (he certainly didn't for the tv show).
Also, part of the reason Tolkien had no input ont eh LOTR cast was that he's not exactly alive anymore, but even if he was, doubt he'd have had any say in the casting.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: July 16, 2010, 03:48:14 PM »
umm, anout the rowling thing, she sort of did, in fact, shes the reason snape is rickman, and most of the other cast was a,so her personal choice, she had final say on the scripts too, in fact, she helped write 1,2, and 3. i dont know about the new ones but yeah. oh and tolkien was dead so, thats given that he didnt pick the cast. :P
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"

Offline Bluebeard

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: July 16, 2010, 03:50:21 PM »
I stand by Jim's choice of Denisof and Cerra though- both are capable actors and just because their names aren't well-known, doesn't mean you need to go cast a 'big' actor like Hugh Jackman who has already tried a film like this.

This is fantasy casting though.  :D

EDIT: Several writers do get to chose the actors they would like to associate with the film and they do have to usually approve of the script that is written. It is also up with them to colloborate with the director/producer if they want too, which often saves the movie from being crap.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: July 16, 2010, 05:55:19 PM »
I stand by Jim's choice of Denisof and Cerra though- both are capable actors and just because their names aren't well-known, doesn't mean you need to go cast a 'big' actor like Hugh Jackman who has already tried a film like this.

This is fantasy casting though.  :D

EDIT: Several writers do get to chose the actors they would like to associate with the film and they do have to usually approve of the script that is written. It is also up with them to colloborate with the director/producer if they want too, which often saves the movie from being crap.

As these things go I am sure the film studio/directors/producers run it by the author, but once a studio has the rights they pretty much get to take it from there, running it by the author is probably just for some constructive feedback or a courtesy.

But I don't disagree with the studio doing the casting. They make movies, it's what they are good at. Authors write books, it's what they are good at. Sure the author might have some good casting ideas and the studio might follow through on it, but ultimately I don't think it's going to matter who the author wants to play the parts.

Also when you say WRITERS get to choose the actors, are we talking about authors whose book is being adapted into a movie, or are you talking script/screen writer? Many directors have "written" their own movies.

Anyhow, I hope a good studio gets the movie rights after Lions Gate, and hopefully they cast some big time actors and actresses, and it becomes as big as Harry Potter.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: July 16, 2010, 06:20:17 PM »
I think what's more important than casting the characters........who should direct it?

Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy) :D
Christopher Nolan (Dark Knight, Prestige) ;D
James Cameron (Avatar) think about the special effects :)
Bryan Singer (Xmen, Superman, Battlestar Galactica 2011) 8)
Peter Jackson (LOTR) not a great director IMHO, got lucky w/LOTR :-X
Ridley Scott (Blade Runner, Gladiator) :-\
George Lucas (Star Wars) yeah, maybe 20 years ago :'(
Gore Verbinski (POTC 1,2,3) ::)
Sam Raimi (Army of Darkness, Spiderman) Drag me to Hell SUCKED BIG TIME! >:(
Michael Bay (Armageddon, Pearl Harbor, Transformers) lots of explosions :-[
Stephen Speilburg :-\
Wachowski Brothers (Matrix) :)
Robert Rodriguez (Sin City) ;D
Quinton Tarantino (Pulp Fiction) :D
Danny Boyle (28 Days Later, Slumdog Millionaire) ;)
M. Night Shyamalan (The Last Airbender) :P
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 06:24:18 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline Bluebeard

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: July 16, 2010, 06:39:58 PM »
Also when you say WRITERS get to choose the actors, are we talking about authors whose book is being adapted into a movie, or are you talking script/screen writer? Many directors have "written" their own movies.

That's what I'm talking about. If a director wants to make the movie faithful to the fans, he can if he thinks he needs the input, call in the author of the book and ask them for advice. They don't have to follow it all or even call up the author in the first place, but a lot of directors do want things to be faithful to the books.

As for the directors you mention... Robert Rodriguez or the Wachowski bros.  :D

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: July 16, 2010, 08:00:37 PM »
I love Rodriguez, but don't you think it would be too gritty? Planet Terror, Sin City, Desperado, Machete.
and other Trouble Maker Studios films like Predators (2010) which I thought was pretty great BTW, kind of goes back to the roots and getting away from the AVP movies of late.

And Wachowski bros. IDK, they might have been a one hit wonder. (Matrix 2 and 3 weren't really that great)
And I guess we can't call them bros. anymore since Larry is now Lana.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 08:19:23 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline Bluebeard

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: July 16, 2010, 08:25:33 PM »
I love Rodriguez, but don't you think it would be too gritty? Planet Terror, Sin City, Desperado, Machete.
and other Trouble Maker Studios films like Predators (2010) which I thought was pretty great BTW, kind of goes back to the roots and getting away from the AVP movies of late.

And Wachowski bros. IDK, they might have been a one hit wonder. (Matrix 2 and 3 weren't really that great)
And I guess we can't call them bros. anymore since Larry is now Lana.

Yeah, Dresden isn't really gritty, but I think Rodriguez could make the magic happen. He could also capture the Noir-style I think better, then any other director I can think of.

Well, they did do V for Vendetta which was really good.

and lol you're right.  :P

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: July 16, 2010, 08:37:10 PM »
Yeah, Dresden isn't really gritty, but I think Rodriguez could make the magic happen. He could also capture the Noir-style I think better, then any other director I can think of.

Well, they did do V for Vendetta which was really good.

and lol you're right.  :P

I want to agree with Rodriguez because I love his work, but I kind of think maybe Del Toro because of Pans Labyrinth and Hellboy, they both had good costumes/character design and cinematography.

Offline Vash the white

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: July 16, 2010, 09:15:38 PM »
tarintino writes scenes, Nolon does cinematography, and del toro does the sets of the nevernever
"THIS WORLD IS MADE OF! LOVE AND PEACE!LOVE AND PEACE!"