Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1102855 times)

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #795 on: June 23, 2010, 01:58:53 PM »
LOL did you ever see the old (when Cartoon Network was still new) short "Wonder Woman's lasso of justice" skits?
They had one with Muttley laughing but he gets caught in the lasso and starts bawling. LOL

Sorry just made me think of it cause I don't see many references to Muttley. ;)

\O/ w00t! Score one for me!! Hah :D

I am so glad more people are for Bomer. I think he can pull off the darkness of Thomas and especially the whole suave confidence. He's perfect! <3
*swoons and gets the vapors*

I follow the Twitter feed started by Priscellie and the others (as the Dresden cast), and I had no idea who the man was that they used for the profile pic for Thomas. And then I saw him on TV, and a lightbulb clicked on. So really, I owe my devotion to Bomer and his future casting as Thomas to the mods and everyone on the Dresden Twitter feeds :)
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

Dresden: "Hell's holy stars and freaking stones shit bells."

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
  • Take two tablets and call me in the morning.
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: June 23, 2010, 02:03:02 PM »
Other choices for Eb. Rip Torn and Tommy Lee Jones. Didn't like the idea of Jones at first but then I thought about it and it would work.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 02:48:59 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: June 23, 2010, 02:16:07 PM »
You all are starting to win me over with the Matt Bomer thing, but it's actually not that I like Bomer, but it's because all the other suggestions for Thomas are soo bad (Orlando Bloom *sheesh*) that Bomer is starting to look better and better as Thomas.

No one commented on my suggestion the other day of Chris Pine as Thomas.

I am not sure about this choice though, I think he is a pretty good actor judging by Star Trek, I don't know if he really fits the bill, but he seems to be more like the other choices up here.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 02:49:39 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline Coalprin

• Conversationalist
  • μή μου τούς κύκλους τάραττε
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: June 23, 2010, 02:51:33 PM »
Pine isn't bad... but Bomer is better, for the role of Thomas at least. He's been on a few of the TV shows that I watch and I'd say he definitely has the range/looks to pull off everybody's favorite incubus.

Chris Pine can act well enough, but he is kinda lacking that Raith look.
"Certain blood has been shed for uncertain reasons.
You will never quiet this storm, A cold wind to chill your bones."

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: June 23, 2010, 03:04:39 PM »
Pine isn't bad... but Bomer is better, for the role of Thomas at least. He's been on a few of the TV shows that I watch and I'd say he definitely has the range/looks to pull off everybody's favorite incubus.

Chris Pine can act well enough, but he is kinda lacking that Raith look.

I agree that Pine doesn't look Raithy enough.

Personally, when they first introduced Thomas I pictured something like this.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:15:04 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: June 23, 2010, 03:06:31 PM »
and I stumbled on this too.

Never thought of this, but Jackman could probably work as Thomas...

..on second thought he is too old, he is 42ish and this picture is old.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:26:37 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline Sihnon

• Participant
  • Battle School Grad
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: June 23, 2010, 03:30:44 PM »
Chris Pine may not be good for Raith, but can we cast him as Warden Chandler just so we can look at him?  *cough* Oh. Yeah.  I said that aloud. :)
"Shiny. Let's be bad guys." - Jayne Cobb

Offline MoSeS

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: June 23, 2010, 03:32:24 PM »
How about Evans for Thomas. He is Bowflexy too.

Still not Raithy enough? I don't really get the Predatory Angel vibe from Evans.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:33:55 PM by MoSeS_ »

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #803 on: June 23, 2010, 04:32:22 PM »

I am not sure about this choice though, I think he is a pretty good actor judging by Star Trek, I don't know if he really fits the bill, but he seems to be more like the other choices up here.

Chris Pine is handsome enough to pull off the Thomas role, but he's just not it for me. His eyes don't have that same 'mysteriousness' to them that Bomer's do.
Murphy: "Maybe you know the monsters, Martin. But I know the guy who stops them."

Dresden: "Don't call me a dinosaur. It isn't fair to the dinosaurs. What did a dinosaur ever do to you?"

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #804 on: June 23, 2010, 04:37:35 PM »
and I stumbled on this too.

Never thought of this, but Jackman could probably work as Thomas...

..on second thought he is too old, he is 42ish and this picture is old.

Don't knock on people being too old for certain roles. There's a reason that most casting these days has people that are actually ten years older playing roles that are ten years younger. Every once in a while, though, you have the cases like Supernatural, where the actors are the same age as their characters, lol.

Anyway, I've been reading this Supernatural/Dresden Files crossover fic that a friend turned me on to, and she's made an icon specifically for the fic (it's on LJ); The fic is called Lost Sons, and the actor she sees as Harry is actually Hugh Jackman. The picture that she specifically used fits really well, actually.

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline tiny[but]fierce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #805 on: June 23, 2010, 04:46:13 PM »
Chris Pine may not be good for Raith, but can we cast him as Warden Chandler just so we can look at him?  *cough* Oh. Yeah.  I said that aloud. :)

Yes you did, and yes we can. Besides, I know damn sure he can effect a British accent -- he had one when he played Nicholas in The Princess Diaries 2. (consequently, he sounds just as snooty as Chandler might in the clip that I saw of himself and Anne Hathaway taking a fall into the fountain behind them).

In Butcher We Trust.

Offline Atanvarno

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: June 23, 2010, 05:01:55 PM »
Moore's a great actress, full stop. She could do whatever the part requires, I have no doubt.

I also agree that Matt Bomer could do Thomas justice - not only the confidence and charm, but Thomas's conflicted nature, his self-distrust, anger and shame, as well as love for Justine. (I don't think Chris Evans is as strong an actor as Bomer, really. Nothing against the guy, but he's limited to a certain type - at least in the roles I've seen.) If it were up to me (and clearly it's not) I'd just as soon stay away from any wrestlers or swimsuit models altogether.

Pine is okay, I guess; I'm sure there are actual Brits who could play "Steed" Chandler perfectly well.
Every once in a while, though, you have the cases like Supernatural, where the actors are the same age as their characters, lol.
Except for Jeffrey Dean Morgan, who played a character exactly ten years older than his real age. (Yes, I watched the first few seasons of the show that carefully.)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 05:05:20 PM by Atanvarno »

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: June 23, 2010, 05:37:31 PM »
How about Ian Somerhalder for Thomas?

~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline Sihnon

• Participant
  • Battle School Grad
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: June 23, 2010, 05:48:46 PM »
Pine is okay, I guess; I'm sure there are actual Brits who could play "Steed" Chandler perfectly well. )

Yeah, you are right... I have a not-so-secret crush on James McAvoy.  Can he play Warden Chandler?

Okay, he's Scottish (31, 5'7).  Okay, maybe a little short, but he's a HUGE sci-fi/fantasy fan!
"Shiny. Let's be bad guys." - Jayne Cobb

Offline Atanvarno

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: June 23, 2010, 06:30:48 PM »
Also, McAvoy can act like nobody's business! He's a Scot, but has played a few Englishmen (and a couple of Irishmen, too, I think.)

Somerhalder has some experience with playing a vampire; I see him more as Madrigal than Thomas, I guess.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 07:04:48 PM by Atanvarno »