Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1119664 times)

Offline narphoenix

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #6240 on: October 06, 2013, 03:11:04 AM »
Yeah...and there's the additional factor that he's descended from Muslims.  We big on da beeeerd thing, lol.

Yes. I know if at least one Muslim who wore a thick beard until The Incident (9/11). Then he shaved to stubble.
GMing:

Paranet 2250

Avatar from Scarfgirl and TheOtherChosenOne of Deviantart

Offline Al-Hajj Bilal Ammar Jihad

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6241 on: October 06, 2013, 09:19:37 AM »
Yes. I know if at least one Muslim who wore a thick beard until The Incident (9/11). Then he shaved to stubble.

I can understand why he did, but I think it's misguided.  I never shaved my beard, never stopped wearing identifiably Muslim head-gear, clothing etc.  For one thing, as a practicing Muslima my wife didn't have the option of removing her hijjab to "blend in", unless she was willing to abandon her principles.  I wasn't gonna hide when she couldn't--that would be cowardly.

More importantly, while I've done things in my life that I'm ashamed of, being Muslim isn't one of them and never will be.  Has my refusal to go "under cover" sometimes resulted in "unpleasant" interactions with some of my non-Muslim countrymen?  Yep.  But hey, whenever that happens I just ask myself, "What would Harry do"?

PS: Yo NarPhoenix--thank you for your message (wiping tears from eyes).

God's Peace and Blessing to you my Brother.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 09:02:24 AM by Al-Hajj Bilal Ammar Jihad »
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey, or he will not slay thee in thy turn.  He will bear thee away to the Houses of Lamentation, beyond all Darkness, where thy living flesh shall be devoured and thy shriveled mind left naked before the Lidless Eye.

Offline Fadelias

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6242 on: October 15, 2013, 01:46:13 PM »
New here so don't mind me hehe But had to chip in on this discussion cuz it's something I ponder a lot.

I've really only ever had 2 that completely stand out for me, Dresden and Butters. (And I can't remember the actor's names sorry, and currently at work so can't surf too much of the interwebs hehe)

For Dresden I have recently thought the guy that plays Miles in Revolution is rather perfect. To me he looks exactly like how I picture Dresden, not to mention looks a lot like the cover art of the books.

For Butters, and again can't remember his name, but the guy that played a doctor/ME in the first season of True Blood. He looks exactly how I see Butters, and even sounds like him (going off the audio books of course).

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6243 on: October 15, 2013, 08:00:16 PM »
I want to vote for Charisma Carpenter for Lara.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: October 15, 2013, 11:14:38 PM »
I want to vote for Charisma Carpenter for Lara.

I'd vote for Kim Kardashian on the basis of looks, but don't know if she could act.  "Posing" doesn't count.
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey, or he will not slay thee in thy turn.  He will bear thee away to the Houses of Lamentation, beyond all Darkness, where thy living flesh shall be devoured and thy shriveled mind left naked before the Lidless Eye.

Offline Chiana

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6245 on: October 16, 2013, 05:17:23 PM »
Yuck.  Yuck, yuck, yuck. 
~Mistress of Invisibility~  Loyal MinionTM of our Pharaoh.  Divine Ruler of Egypt.

Rest well Md.  You are dearly missed.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: October 16, 2013, 06:46:57 PM »
^
That to the tenth power.  YUCK!!!!

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6247 on: October 16, 2013, 10:23:27 PM »
^
That to the tenth power.  YUCK!!!!

Agreed, yuck.  Was based on physical appearance only, not on the abysmal lack of anything resembling personality, character, insight, intelligence etc etc.

To quote ol' Tricky Dick: "Let me make this perfectly clear!"

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6248 on: October 17, 2013, 12:04:17 AM »
I'd vote for Kim Kardashian on the basis of looks, but don't know if she could act.  "Posing" doesn't count.

Harry does describe Lara as Supertart. 

Anywho, I kind of like Eva Green as Lara Raith.  I've always been a Lara=Olivia Wilde fan, but this guy's tumblr casting of Eva Green looked good.  Some of his others are hits and misses.
http://fuckyeahdiomedes.tumblr.com/post/13737469831/dresden-files-casting-lara-raith
http://fuckyeahdiomedes.tumblr.com/tagged/Dresden-Files-Casting

Offline hank the ancient

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6249 on: October 17, 2013, 01:14:12 AM »
I like his casting for Jack Murphy. Early on I had variously pictured either Aidan Quinn or a bearded Treat Williams as Michael but I don't think their current aging matches the timeline right.

I also like Bryce Dallas Howard, but for Lilly rather than Aurora. Not sure about Zoe Saldana as younger Luccio; she's a good enough actress but I don't know that the type casting matches on the dimples front. I always pictured someone that could pull off Greek/Italian so that Luccio's mannerisms wouldn't be jarring
(click to show/hide)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #6250 on: October 17, 2013, 07:31:15 PM »
I like his casting for Jack Murphy. Early on I had variously pictured either Aidan Quinn or a bearded Treat Williams as Michael but I don't think their current aging matches the timeline right.

I also like Bryce Dallas Howard, but for Lilly rather than Aurora. Not sure about Zoe Saldana as younger Luccio; she's a good enough actress but I don't know that the type casting matches on the dimples front. I always pictured someone that could pull off Greek/Italian so that Luccio's mannerisms wouldn't be jarring
(click to show/hide)
Zoe Saldana doesnt work well for me, mostly because she is too...Mature? looking.  Not that at first that sounds like a bad thing, but the difference needs to be jarring, so Id go for somebody that has more of a baby-face, somebody that looks younger than their years.  And yes, somebody with dimples.  Saldana is a great actress, but doesnt have the look.  For her to work the old-Luccio would need to be extra-old by contrast, to the point were she may not be as believably formidable in a swordfight. 

BTW, I still say Jane Lynch would be perfect for old-Luccio.  As Joss Whedon once said, it's always good to cast comedians in serious roles, because comedy is the hard one.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: October 17, 2013, 07:54:13 PM »
Zoe Saldana doesnt work well for me, mostly because she is too...Mature? looking...For her to work the old-Luccio would need to be extra-old by contrast, to the point were she may not be as believably formidable in a swordfight. 

How about this comparison: Old Luccio--Kate Mulgrew.  New Luccio: Zoe Saldana.

Offline Wizard H

• Posty McPostington
  • A.K.A. Wizard H
    • View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: October 17, 2013, 08:07:54 PM »
Zoe Saldana doesnt work well for me, mostly because she is too...Mature? looking.  Not that at first that sounds like a bad thing, but the difference needs to be jarring, so Id go for somebody that has more of a baby-face, somebody that looks younger than their years.  And yes, somebody with dimples.  Saldana is a great actress, but doesnt have the look.  For her to work the old-Luccio would need to be extra-old by contrast, to the point were she may not be as believably formidable in a swordfight. 

BTW, I still say Jane Lynch would be perfect for old-Luccio.  As Joss Whedon once said, it's always good to cast comedians in serious roles, because comedy is the hard one.

Oh god.... Sgt Calhoun as Old Luccio?  That is PERFECT!  Now I'm picturing Old Luccio walking down a line of Wardens: "This is it, ladies! The kitten whispers and tickle fights end now!"  XD
It's like Harry Potter got drunk and lost his virginity to the Ghostbusters.-Denarian XD
DV Wizard H V1.2 YR10 FR4 BK+++ RP++ JB++ TH++ WG+++ CL+++ SW+ BC++ MC++++ SH[Murphy+++++,Molly++,Lara+,Mab--,Maeve---] TT! MS++ MsD-- FF+++

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: October 17, 2013, 10:07:21 PM »
How about this comparison: Old Luccio--Kate Mulgrew.  New Luccio: Zoe Saldana.
Not a stark enough shift for me, plus Cpt Janeway no longer looks like a person that has been fighting in the front lines of a war for 4ish years.  I picture somebody that is shriveled and thin but vibrant enough that you could believe it still hides wiry strength. Somebody who is older in the face than the body
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline phoenixjustice

• Conversationalist
  • I believe in you, Spike.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: October 17, 2013, 10:07:59 PM »
I still say that Mark A. Sheppard would be the perfect Nicodemus; charisma for days!

DV PhoenixJusticev1.2YR9FR(M)6, BK++, RP, JB+, TH++, WG++, CL++, SW+, BC+, MC+++++, SH(Lash++, Murphy++,Molly+++,Morgan++,Marcone++, Kincaid++, Bob++, Mavra----, Nic+, DF OTP ++++)