Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1119638 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #5910 on: March 28, 2013, 03:44:53 PM »
Regarding Lucas Bryant - I could see it, but he seems to broody to me.  In the early books Harry wasn't nearly as broody as he is now.  Granted that has a lot to do with what's happened in his life, but to start off with a broody guy might turn folks off.
I dont know, harry got pretty broody fairly early on.  I dont see it as a problem
Hey, how about Dean Norris as Eb.  Just need to age him a bit, but make-up can do that easily enough.  If not Dean, I'd love to see Bruce Willis as Eb.  That would be a hoot.
Actually, I think either of those would work great for Mac, so long as they dont look any older than they are now. 
I've been listening to the books recently and based on James Marsters rendition of Molly I thik Emily Kinney as Molly would be convincing.

Anthonly Head as Langtry would be a good fit.
you really want this guy as the leader of the White Council of Wizards?   :P
(click to show/hide)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline ShadowX81

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5911 on: March 28, 2013, 08:21:45 PM »
To be fair, that can be a product of the lighting choices as much or more than the actor himself.  Have you seen him in anything else?  Does he give the same impression?
This.

Its very true that Nathan Warnos and Harry Dresden are very different characters, and il admit that I picked Lucas mostly because he has that very specific look (mature yet boyish, kind eyes, handsome in an understated way, slight hint of insecurity) and his demeanor. But I'm gonna hold off on saying he's completely wrong for the role until I see him in something else.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 08:35:38 PM by ShadowX81 »

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5912 on: March 29, 2013, 12:10:39 AM »
This.

Its very true that Nathan Warnos and Harry Dresden are very different characters, and il admit that I picked Lucas mostly because he has that very specific look (mature yet boyish, kind eyes, handsome in an understated way, slight hint of insecurity) and his demeanor. But I'm gonna hold off on saying he's completely wrong for the role until I see him in something else.
I agree about the general look for Bryant and Dresden.  I made this ages ago because he seemed to fit.  But I'd have to see him do something else, and the only other things he's done are one-or-two episode guest spots on different shows. 

Offline ShadowX81

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5913 on: March 29, 2013, 12:32:09 AM »
I agree about the general look for Bryant and Dresden.  I made this ages ago because he seemed to fit.  But I'd have to see him do something else, and the only other things he's done are one-or-two episode guest spots on different shows. 

Haha, dude that is awesome.

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5914 on: March 29, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
you really want this guy as the leader of the White Council of Wizards?   :P
(click to show/hide)

I'll see that and raise you one

As for Eb, I like Robert Duvall.
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5915 on: March 30, 2013, 12:00:34 AM »
I'll see that and raise you one

As for Eb, I like Robert Duvall.
I'm leaning toward Jim Beaver for Eb.  He plays Bobby Singer on Supernatural.  He's got a talent for aw-shucks accent, he's got the build, and he can do both happy, chagrined,  and pissed very well.  Those seem to be the core Eb emotions.

Offline ShadowX81

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5916 on: March 30, 2013, 02:53:00 AM »
Wow, thats actually perfect. I can't believe I never thought of Jim for Eb.

Offline phoenixjustice

• Conversationalist
  • I believe in you, Spike.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5917 on: April 01, 2013, 07:20:32 PM »
I'm leaning toward Jim Beaver for Eb.  He plays Bobby Singer on Supernatural.  He's got a talent for aw-shucks accent, he's got the build, and he can do both happy, chagrined,  and pissed very well.  Those seem to be the core Eb emotions.

Oh my god yes. I can't believe I've never thought of that but that fits so freaking well.

DV PhoenixJusticev1.2YR9FR(M)6, BK++, RP, JB+, TH++, WG++, CL++, SW+, BC+, MC+++++, SH(Lash++, Murphy++,Molly+++,Morgan++,Marcone++, Kincaid++, Bob++, Mavra----, Nic+, DF OTP ++++)

Offline ShadowX81

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5918 on: April 02, 2013, 04:32:09 PM »
The only challenge would be preventing him from turning into Bobby Singer. Because that would be a very real possibility given the actor and similarity of the two characters.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5919 on: April 02, 2013, 05:56:45 PM »
Agreed.  Honestly that's why Im against people like Sarah Michell Geller and several others from shows that are just too similar, there will inevitably be bleed-though in the minds of we fans. 

Frankly Id be most happy with an unknown of the right build, simply because I want to have fresh impressions.  At least for Harry and Murphy
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5920 on: April 02, 2013, 08:03:25 PM »

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5921 on: April 02, 2013, 08:17:40 PM »
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline ShadowX81

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5922 on: April 02, 2013, 11:30:43 PM »
Agreed.  Honestly that's why Im against people like Sarah Michell Geller and several others from shows that are just too similar, there will inevitably be bleed-though in the minds of we fans. 

Frankly Id be most happy with an unknown of the right build, simply because I want to have fresh impressions.  At least for Harry and Murphy

True, but good unknowns are hard to find.

Atleast for example if you were to cast SMG as Murphy, the characters are dissimilar enough for viewers to separate the two. Especially given that its been more than 10 years since Buffy. But in Jim Beaver's case, Ebenezer McCoy and Bobby Singer would be more or less the same person. 

Its an absolutely perfect casting choice; but thats the problem. Its so perfect that someone has already done it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:34:49 PM by ShadowX81 »

Offline adreamydragon

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5923 on: April 03, 2013, 06:57:06 AM »
I think Billy Burke would be a great Dresden, I see it every time I watch Revolution... (sorry if that's a repeat, not sure that someone hasn't already mentioned him...)

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5924 on: April 03, 2013, 12:54:20 PM »
I could see that.  Not really how I picture him in my head, but he's got the look. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/