Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1119006 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #4440 on: September 11, 2011, 02:15:20 AM »
I don't know if there is WoJ, but I definitely agree with Bomer
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: September 11, 2011, 02:24:19 AM »
Yeah, I think it was one of the interviews where someone asked him who he'd cast for some of the characters, and I remember him saying Bomer for Thomas. 

*Goes off to hunt it down in the WoJ forum and prove that he's not imaging things...*

EDIT:  Here we go:

Q.   What actors would you choose for Harry and Thomas?
A.   Favorite choice for Harry would be a 1970s Harrison Ford.  Of current actors, would choose Captain Tight Pants (Nathan Fillion) for Harry, and Bryce from Chuck for Thomas (Matt Bomer).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 02:28:43 AM by habu987 »
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: September 11, 2011, 06:17:00 AM »
I need to start watching Dr Who, people keep telling me good things.

And I don't see it, because he just seems too....Brit...to play All-American Harry.  No offence meant to the Brits.
While I do recommend Doctor Who, that actually wasn't what made me picture him as Harry. The Tenth Doctor was never scruffy or unshaven; it wasn't until I saw the above-posted picture that I went, "OMG! He could be Harry!"
Also, Tennant isn't a Brit. I mean, I suppose he's from the isle itself, but he's Scottish. Having a few Scottish friends, I can tell you they don't like being referred to as 'Brits.' However, for a Scottish man to do a flawless English accent is pretty impressive, and I'm sure with some training Tennant would sound plenty American.

for Thomas, I believe we've got WoJ that he pictured Matt Bomer, and many of us on this thread have agreed:

Um... I don't see that guy as Thomas. He doesn't make my jaw unhinge and my brain stop working. James Marsters has always done that. (not to say that he's the only one)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 06:24:14 AM by NeuroHeart »
This message brought to you by a cloud of neurotransmitters.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: September 11, 2011, 06:24:10 AM »
Sorry if I ask you this, and you are free not to answer, of course. But, are you female? Because you would be the first woman I know (among those who know Bomer) than desn't feel melting when thinking on him. (I like Marsters, but I never liked him so much, when I first saw Bomer in Tru Calling I almost consider divorce  :P)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4444 on: September 11, 2011, 06:25:05 AM »
I am possessed of two X chromosomes, yes.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: September 11, 2011, 06:27:56 AM »
wow, they say that there is always a first time  :D
Missing you, Md 

Offline Lara

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: September 11, 2011, 06:32:20 AM »
Just curious.... do most Dresden Fans feel Paul Blackthorne from the TV show was miscast as Harry? I haven't seen any mention of him here.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: September 11, 2011, 06:35:04 AM »
I said several times that I think he is perfect for the role. I wouldn't recast him. I know other think the same, and others don't like him
Missing you, Md 

Offline Lara

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4448 on: September 11, 2011, 06:39:55 AM »
I said several times that I think he is perfect for the role. I wouldn't recast him. I know other think the same, and others don't like him

Sorry... there are nearly 300 pages to this thread and I haven't read through all of them.

I wouldn't recast Blackthorne either. He's the one I picture when I read the books.  :)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: September 11, 2011, 06:44:49 AM »
Oh no, I wouldn't mean that. I don't know if I said it in this thread, in fact.  :D Sorry if I was not clear, it is too late here and my brain is freezing
Missing you, Md 

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4450 on: September 11, 2011, 06:49:37 AM »
wow, they say that there is always a first time  :D
Yeah, I suppose there always is. Not to say that this Bomer guy isn't aesthetically pleasing, but I just see Thomas as a man who would reduce me to staring dreamily. Whenever I see James Marsters, that's exactly what happens. When I actually met him at a convention, I was rendered mute. I had to encounter him a few times before I could say anything at all.
Oh, and I've literally told my man that I would leave him for James Marsters, even if he is nearly twice my age. (His response was priceless, by the way: "Yeah, I would leave you for James Marsters, too."  ;D)
I could list off a few other actors who have a similar effect, though I don't think any have it to the same degree. Bomer just isn't one of them.

Edit: I didn't care much for the Dresden Files show, and when I read the books a few years after watching some of it... yeah, I thought Blackthorne had been miscast. Not that he's special in that impression. I thought they had all been miscast, except for maybe Bob, who had been mischaracterized. (For the record, I would still cast Eddie Izzard as Bob. I would love to hear him delivering some of those lines.)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 06:53:36 AM by NeuroHeart »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: September 11, 2011, 07:03:44 AM »
*sigh* sadly, Bomer is younger than me.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Lara

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: September 11, 2011, 07:11:18 AM »
Oh no, I wouldn't mean that. I don't know if I said it in this thread, in fact.  :D Sorry if I was not clear, it is too late here and my brain is freezing

No worries  :)

Offline OpticChaos

• Posty McPostington
  • Vive Ri e Ama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: September 11, 2011, 10:33:19 AM »
The particular pic relating to this, if it's the moment I think, is earlier in this thread.  I'm too lazy to dig it up but it's Denisof and Marsters standing next to each other.

Edit: Googled "wesley spike angel" and it was the first pic to pop up.

Tell me this does not SCREAM Harry and Thomas.

Nope, I just don't see it tbh.
Glad to be back. Missed this place terribly!

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #4454 on: September 11, 2011, 04:00:52 PM »
Which episode is that? Just so I can go watch and see if I agree. Because so far, I really don't see Alexis Denisof as Harry

The rooftop confrontation about 3/4 of the way though Angel season 5, episode 7, "Lineage."  Specifically, Alexis Denisof's performance at the end of the scene.

And for those who doubt Matt Bomer's ability to melt panties at 500 yards:

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 04:03:09 PM by Priscellie »