Poll

Who should play Harry Dresden in a Movie?

Zachary Quinto
41 (5.9%)
Lee Pace
26 (3.8%)
Ryan Reynolds
51 (7.4%)
Hugh Jackman
91 (13.2%)
Clive Owen
46 (6.7%)
Paul Bettany
19 (2.8%)
Timothy Olyphant
75 (10.9%)
Nathan Fillion
220 (31.9%)
Joe Flanigan
37 (5.4%)
Chris Evans
7 (1%)
Gerard Butler
22 (3.2%)
Neil Flynn
8 (1.2%)
Jared Padalecki
47 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 681

Author Topic: Perfect Casting, part 2  (Read 1118607 times)

Offline Tempus Corvus

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Perfect Casting, part 2
« Reply #4395 on: September 08, 2011, 01:04:28 AM »
So, this weekend I was thinking about who could play Martin. It's actually a fairly tricky cast, because Martin can't just be bland, he has to be a skilled enough performer to assimilate into several different looks and attitudes. Those sorts of performers are rare, and it can be difficult to remember who they are because they become so absorbed into the characters they play. But I think I've settled on Sam Rockwell:

Seconded. Sam Rockwell is awesome, even though I only saw him in Iron Man 2. (Yeah, I know, I need to watch Moon.)
My Dresden Files Purity Rating is 40%. It'd be higher if I could find the time to actually play the DFRPG.

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: September 08, 2011, 01:24:40 AM »
Isn't Tessa supposed to look like a pretty fifteen-year-old with silvery hair?
*edit* Yeah, I had forgotten the silver hair. Her chitin is also supposed to be red. Will update.
(Man, another chick with silver/white hair. I swear Jim has some kind of fetish.)
I thought Kiera Knightly would be good for it because she is so thin and she has an unlined face, so she can look quite young.

I do recommend Moon, Tempus. He's been in things you might not remember him from, though, such as GalaxyQuest. He's really different in every film he does. Heck, I didn't even remember he was in Iron Man 2 until you mentioned it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 01:56:17 AM by NeuroHeart »
This message brought to you by a cloud of neurotransmitters.

Offline Tempus Corvus

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: September 08, 2011, 01:46:02 AM »
I do recommend Moon, Tempus. He's been in things you might not remember him from, though, such as GalaxyQuest. He's really different in every film he does. Heck, I didn't even remember he was in Iron Man 2 until you mentioned it.

Holy crap, I'd forgotten about Galaxy Quest.
My Dresden Files Purity Rating is 40%. It'd be higher if I could find the time to actually play the DFRPG.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: September 08, 2011, 01:54:53 AM »
*cough* Charlie's angels *cough"
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: September 08, 2011, 02:01:12 AM »
And he was also the most recent Zaphod Beeblebrox.
See how good he is at assimilating? That's so Martin.

On a totally different character subject, Mark Sheppard should be Mortimer Lindquist.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: September 08, 2011, 02:06:49 AM »
I disagree in that. Morty should be somebody that looks unimpressive, but can command power if needed. What about Stanley Tucci?
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: September 08, 2011, 02:17:56 AM »
...You think Mark Sheppard looks impressive?  :o
Or do you think he couldn't command power if needed? Because I have to say, I think you'd be incorrect on either count. Mark Sheppard is shorter than me, (I'm 5'6") but the man has presence to spare.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: September 08, 2011, 02:20:19 AM »
I think he is impressive. As you said, he has presence to spare.
Missing you, Md 

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4403 on: September 08, 2011, 04:18:24 AM »
Well yeah, of course he has presence, that's the reason I think he would be perfect for Mort; they're both a big presence in a little package. Put Mark Sheppard next to any guy tall enough to play Harry and he would look miniscule, but it would also be totally believable for him to stand up to someone who towered over him like that, and be believable that he has the power levels he has in terms of ectomancy. Sheppard also looks the part now that his hair is going, especially when he puts a little weight on. Obviously the actor playing Harry would need enough presence to compete, but that would be true next to almost any actor I would want to see cast in a Dresden series, because most of the characters have a lot of presence on the page. I mean, if I had my way James Marsters would be Thomas, and that man can overshadow plenty of actors in terms of presence.  So could some of my minor casting choices, like Patrick Stewart. So I guess my point is, so long as an actor has the stature and presence to play Harry, another actor having some presence would not be a problem.
And believe me, if you just saw Mark Sheppard walking down a street, he would not look 'impressive.' I ran into him at a convention, and it took me several seconds to even recognize him. He is a small and rather average-looking man, he's just a good actor.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 04:21:52 AM by NeuroHeart »

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: September 08, 2011, 04:22:04 AM »
My point is I don't think that Mort have this presence. Harry, for instance, really underestimates him and I don't think anyone could underestimate Mark Sheppard.
Missing you, Md 

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: September 08, 2011, 04:56:27 AM »
Well, I'm clearly not going to convince you, but I'll just throw out his scared face and see if that looks anything more like early Morty.

Sheppard is a good actor; I think he could be convincingly underestimated if that's what was needed. And Harry underestimating him didn't mean he had no presence. He did have presence, and any actor playing him would need to be capable of that.

edit: Oh, and here's a picture of him with a 5'3"-ish woman at the above-mentioned con, just as photographic proof that he really is kind of small and not always impressive at all.

He was very nice   :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 05:06:37 AM by NeuroHeart »

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #4406 on: September 08, 2011, 12:56:40 PM »
in terms of acting I think he could do it, but isn't Mort supposed to be short, overweight, and bald?  I kinda picture him as a mid/late forties fat man. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: September 08, 2011, 01:56:07 PM »
Well, I'm clearly not going to convince you, but I'll just throw out his scared face and see if that looks anything more like early Morty.

Sheppard is a good actor; I think he could be convincingly underestimated if that's what was needed. And Harry underestimating him didn't mean he had no presence. He did have presence, and any actor playing him would need to be capable of that.

We clearly have different definitions. I don't see a link between impressive and tall. And I definitely don't believe Morty has presence unless he is actively doing it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 05:36:38 PM by Dina »
Missing you, Md 

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: September 08, 2011, 02:20:16 PM »
in terms of acting I think he could do it, but isn't Mort supposed to be short, overweight, and bald?  I kinda picture him as a mid/late forties fat man.

Yeah.  Pulling out the picture I posted a while back, here's who I think would fit that bill pretty well:

David H. Lawrence III
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline NeuroHeart

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4409 on: September 08, 2011, 02:54:18 PM »
I'm sorry, and this is in no way meant as an insult to him, but have you seen Mark Sheppard lately?

He's definitely put on some weight.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 05:56:46 PM by NeuroHeart »