Author Topic: Official Press Release  (Read 10946 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Official Press Release
« on: January 26, 2010, 05:56:20 PM »
Evil Hat Productions Brings The World of Harry Dresden To Life With The Dresden Files Role Playing Game

Silver Spring, Maryland (January 26, 2010) - After 4 years in the making, Evil Hat Productions is not only pleased but proud to officially announce The Dresden Files Role Playing Game (RPG) will release at the Origins Game Fair, June 23, 2010. Fred Hicks, one of the founding partners of Evil Hat, said, "Stars and stones! This project has been a labor of love for a great many people for a few years now. The thought of sharing these books with people, getting them in their hands, and having people role playing in the Dresden-verse is making me all misty."

The Dresden Files RPG is based upon the wildly popular series of books by New York Times best selling author Jim Butcher. With eleven books published in the series, and Changes, the 12th book set to release on April 6, 2010, the Evil Hat crew had a wealth of characters and plot to draw from. "When Jim came to us a few years back, and asked us if we wanted to work on a role playing game based on his books, it took us about a millisecond to say 'yes!' He has been one of our biggest supporters on the project, and is just wonderful to work with" said Hicks.

Hicks went on to say, "We based The Dresden Files RPG on the 'Fate' game system we used on the award-winning Spirit of the Century. We took everything we learned from Spirit, and then updated, revised, play-tested, and fine-tuned it to produce an experience that closely matches the novels themselves. That experience is also defined by the wealth of background we were able to add to the game from Jim's amazing stories, including a comprehensive look at all the characters and creatures from the first ten books. We are sure that along with being a phenomenal game, it will also be a fantastic resource for fans of the books."

"Originally, we were planning to do this game in a single volume. As time went on and word count grew...so did the amount of flat-out awesome we knew we had on our hands. And so our game grew out of the confines of one book, into two gorgeous volumes," Hicks added.

The Dresden Files RPG: Volume 1 - Your Story and The Dresden Files RPG: Volume 2 - Our World will make their first appearance at the Origins Game Fair in Columbus, Ohio June 23, 2010.

"We wanted to release these books in a bit more of an intimate setting, so we chose to make our big 'coming out' at Origins. It's a small enough show that we feel like we will be able to spend more time with the fans, and thank the community that has been so supportive as we have been working on this. All plans point to physical copies of the books being available for the release event. But if Fate (ahem) intervenes and they do not arrive for the show floor, we will offer an 'instant content pre-order.' This will allow folks to walk away with full PDFs of the books right there, and have the books shipped directly to them," Hicks said.

Preorders may begin prior to Origins, depending on how the production timeline works out. Shortly after Origins, The Dresden Files RPG Volumes 1 & 2 will then go on sale both to Retailers and Consumers through the Evil Hat online store, as well as through Indie Press Revolution.

* The Dresden Files RPG: Volume 1 -- Your Story ISBN 978-0-9771534-7-3. Price $TBD.
    * The Dresden Files RPG: Volume 2 -- Our World ISBN 978-0-9771534-8-0. Price $TBD.
    * Retailers, for more information on how to order Evil Hat's full line-up of titles, please visit http://www.evilhat.com/home/retailer-information/
    * For more information on Evil Hat Productions, visit: http://www.evilhat.com
    * For More information on The Dresden Files and Jim Butcher, visit: http://www.jim-butcher.com
    * Follow The Dresden Files RPG on Twitter @Dresdenfiles
    * Press contacts, please email feedback@evilhat.com
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: Official Press Release
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 06:46:15 PM »
LOUD CHEERS! Congratulations to everyone involved in this; my Evil Hat's off to you. :)
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 10:26:17 PM »
Hooray!!!! :: Dances::

I know what I'm getting meself for a slightly late birthday present this year....

Offline T.R.C.C.

• Posty McPostington
  • The Red Court Courier
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 11:54:22 PM »
Points out from the crows nest. LAND HOOO !
Time  to save up  some £'s
Legitimatly earning money for the high cost of not living.
Hobbys include hunting down spelling and grammer mistakes with a dictionary shotgun, but a few slip by.

Offline Bosh

• Conversationalist
  • Seoulite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 01:20:36 AM »
When do preorders start?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 01:59:48 AM »
When do preorders start?

The earliest I could see being ready for them would be in a few months. The latest they would start would be closer to Origins (late June).
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Whitestreak

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 08:28:23 PM »
I'm with Bosh.

I've got bucks to spend on the preorder. ;D

I know it's early, but this is gonna be cool. I really like Spirit, so I expect I'll really like this one, too! :D

Offline CBeilby

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 06:22:22 AM »
Fred, are you going to have a PDF preorder offer similar to the one you had for SOTC?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 11:52:26 AM »
Fred, are you going to have a PDF preorder offer similar to the one you had for SOTC?
Yep.
Fred Hicks

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 03:13:17 AM »
Looking forward to placing my preorder so I can get ready for Gen Con (hopefully some demos but definitely some pick up games). 

Offline Simon Hogwood

• Conversationalist
  • Proud Dresdenarian
    • View Profile
    • Words of Wonderment
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 05:18:23 AM »
You know, it occurred to me earlier that splitting up the game into two books like this will make it easier to update in a few several years when there are a lot more novels out - just publish Our World - Part II and you're good.  ;)

I'm glad things are finally coming together for this - I've been looking forward to it for a long time!
Blogging his way through The Dresden Files (currently on hiatus).

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 01:41:34 AM »
when will paranet papers be out, please?
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 01:45:48 AM »
Fred Hicks

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 03:48:43 AM »
Any chance of a more specific answer (e.g. Q1/Q2/Q3/Q4/3:16FedEx delivery on Thu Apr.17 )... or are there still too many issues outstanding, to be able to speak to this with reasonable confidence?  Thanks!

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 04:25:54 PM »
Any chance of a more specific answer (e.g. Q1/Q2/Q3/Q4/3:16FedEx delivery on Thu Apr.17 )... or are there still too many issues outstanding, to be able to speak to this with reasonable confidence?  Thanks!

Layout's underway, but that's sans art; we want to get the art done after the layout so we can make sure we're putting the exactly right pieces in place. I'd bet on there being a number of months ahead before we can take it to press.
Fred Hicks