Linked Events

• Jim at Dragon*Con: September 03, 2010 - September 06, 2010

Author Topic: Jim at Dragon*Con 2010  (Read 84903 times)

Offline traycon3

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Jim at Dragon*Con 2010
« Reply #195 on: September 07, 2010, 05:11:04 PM »
XD Why is Butcher so awesome? I got my picture with him too, but I haven't uploaded them yet, and I wasn't exactly cosplaying, lol.

But he was so nice! Even though we didn't get to see him at his signing, he totally signed my and my friend's book after the um..."Evolution of the Female" or whatever panel that was.

Poor guy was the only guy in the group, lol. Also, I meant to tell him I liked the haircut. xDDD Though I didn't recognize him at first because I'm used to the picture in the back of the book. :D

-t3
I am not an addict. I can quit anytime I want. *Tosses Dresden Files across the room*

*Runs over and scoops it up* I'M SO SORRY! I DIDN'T MEAN IT! PLEASE FORGIVE ME!!!

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #196 on: September 07, 2010, 05:22:21 PM »
And the
(click to show/hide)
is a summer king.  :)

I'm pretty sure he's wyldfae...

For Priscilla- There was a disappointing lack of Molly at the con. Wheredju go?

I didn't go to Dragon*Con.  I was in New York. :D

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 07, 2010, 05:25:31 PM »

Yeah, I'm almost certain we've been told that's the case, too. Is it possible that he's both wyldfae and the Summer King? Or a Summer King?
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline Aine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 07, 2010, 05:35:55 PM »
Yeah, I'm almost certain we've been told that's the case, too. Is it possible that he's both wyldfae and the Summer King? Or a Summer King?

I don't know if it helps, but he *definitely* said A king, not THE king.

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 07, 2010, 06:57:25 PM »
At the con, Jim said
(click to show/hide)
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline geminigrey

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 07, 2010, 07:08:24 PM »
I've already taken calling this year at Dragoncon, my "Jim Butcher" con, because he was the highlight for me, as far as panels and guests go.  I think I wound up going to every panel he sat on, and every one of them were different flavors of awesome.   Dragoncon obviously had no clue how popular he was going to be, I can tell you that.

I know Jim calls Harry the "everygeek" but really, I had to resist the urge to chant "One of Us" several times.  He really is a geek at heart, and one of the nicest guys you could run into.  Not only that, but I give huge props to all the fans I talked to..everybody was great, and when we all crammed into panels that had other people besides Jim in them, we resisted the urge to just ask about Dresden...well, mostly. ;)  

I knew I was going to see several Dresden's in the crowd (I was one, after all) but seeing a Michael, a Murphy, the Pizza Spress lady, the Toot Too and crew, and even a Warden..that was made of win.  I joked with my fiancee that I should dress as one of the giant winged flaming poo flinging Kongs next year.

Hopefully Jim got to at least see some of the con himself because people wised up to the new haircut. :D

Offline ThriceISay

• Conversationalist
  • "Finish that sentence, Raith, and we throw down."
    • View Profile
    • Tower of Turtles Productions
« Reply #201 on: September 07, 2010, 07:24:12 PM »
I've already taken calling this year at Dragoncon, my "Jim Butcher" con, because he was the highlight for me, as far as panels and guests go.  I think I wound up going to every panel he sat on, and every one of them were different flavors of awesome.   Dragoncon obviously had no clue how popular he was going to be, I can tell you that.

LOL!! Agreed!!!  A friend asked me today to tell them about our time at Dragon*Con, and after I got through the first half-dozen stories, he stopped me and said, "Did you do anything at the Con which did NOT involve Jim Butcher???"

Me:  *blink*  Uh........  We saw Browncoats: Redemption?  And... met Laurell K. Hamilton (but Jim Butcher was there too...) ?   ;)

(We did do a lot of other things, but we tried to catch at least a handful of Jim Butcher events.  Succeeded in catching only three, though. :-/  Once Trotfox was dressed as Jareth the Goblin King, going ANYWHERE was next to impossible! ;D )

And yes, several of his panels had to be moved to larger rooms, and the number of people sitting around READING Dresden Files books as fast as they could get their hands on them was staggering!  Makes me wonder if even *HE* had any idea how popular he was going to be!
"It doesn't really translate into Martian." - Aftermath

Offline Gatekeeper100

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 07, 2010, 07:54:47 PM »
Loved Dragon Con.  Jim was the reason I went.  Too bad James Marsters had to cancel.  His audiobooks of Dresden are the best.  Got an autograph, found out who Harry's grandma is, but swore myself to secrecy.  The discussion group was great.  A group of folks from the DC area came as Za Lord's guards. Cute costumes.  Saw one fellow who was Nicodemus, several Harry's along with a Murphy and Kincaid.  Jim did 2 signings because the line was so long.  Hope everyone got a chance to get one.  I think he was impressed and pleased with the turnout.

One question I didn't ask was about Maggie's age.  At first he told Mac she was 6 or 7.  Then he started to refer to her as 8.  If she was conceived during book 5, approx Feb 2003, Ivie was 7.  In "Changes" Ivie is 14. If Maggie was born in Nov-Dec 2003, she'd barely be 7.  I know this has probably been discussed before, but I've missed the on-line chats and it's hard to review a million posts.

Offline AtlantaP.I.

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 07, 2010, 08:03:22 PM »
Of course I had the tickets purchased for me, and they didn't get them cheap.  They were bought last wednesday for $120 a piece.  I also made $325 for nine hours of work while at DC!!!  Only thing that would have made it better would be if I would have met Mr. Butcher.

Offline Aine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 07, 2010, 08:22:26 PM »
(We did do a lot of other things, but we tried to catch at least a handful of Jim Butcher events.  Succeeded in catching only three, though. :-/  Once Trotfox was dressed as Jareth the Goblin King, going ANYWHERE was next to impossible!  )

And once Trotfox was dressed up as Jareth the Goblin King...in a kilt...and Jennie Breeden starts up the leaf blower, the screams are deafening.  :D

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 07, 2010, 09:41:01 PM »
Whoaaaa, check out the hotness of you, Aine! And just where is Jim's hand, btw?  ;)

Were you staying in the Renassaince Inn? (SP?) I think I might have seen you in the lobby. Gotta love the all night ambulances going by...the joys of staying in a hotel right by a hospital.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 09:42:51 PM by Stiletto »
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 07, 2010, 09:43:56 PM »

Uh, tell this to Jim, then, cause he told us the Erlking was a King of Summer.  :)
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 07, 2010, 09:47:20 PM »
Of course I had the tickets purchased for me, and they didn't get them cheap.  They were bought last wednesday for $120 a piece.  I also made $325 for nine hours of work while at DC!!!  Only thing that would have made it better would be if I would have met Mr. Butcher.

Wow, if you could follow anyone in that clusterfrak, you are the world's best PI.  Only way I could stay with my hubby was to keep a hand on his man-bag.

Offline DonC

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 07, 2010, 09:50:40 PM »
LOL!! Agreed!!!  A friend asked me today to tell them about our time at Dragon*Con, and after I got through the first half-dozen stories, he stopped me and said, "Did you do anything at the Con which did NOT involve Jim Butcher???"

Me:  *blink*  Uh........  We saw Browncoats: Redemption?  And... met Laurell K. Hamilton (but Jim Butcher was there too...) ?   ;)

(We did do a lot of other things, but we tried to catch at least a handful of Jim Butcher events.  Succeeded in catching only three, though. :-/  Once Trotfox was dressed as Jareth the Goblin King, going ANYWHERE was next to impossible! ;D )

And yes, several of his panels had to be moved to larger rooms, and the number of people sitting around READING Dresden Files books as fast as they could get their hands on them was staggering!  Makes me wonder if even *HE* had any idea how popular he was going to be!

Was that Browncoats movie any good? I missed the screening, but I thought about buying a copy on Monday, hoping they did a last-day-sale, but they didn't.

Offline Aine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 07, 2010, 10:04:40 PM »
Yes that was me in the Renaissance!  Thank you.  8)  Were you there, too?  So was iago.

Also, Hilton Reservations are open NOW for next year.  Code: DCN.  Rate is $188 Be aware, I called and double-checked, one night charge to reserve is NON-REFUNDABLE.

https://secure.hilton.com/en/hi/meetings/access_group.jhtml;jsessionid=ZSGNGPMA5X5GUCSGBJF3EWQ?ctyhocn=ATLAHHH&startDate2=1/September 2011&endDate2=5/September 2011&groupCode=